Ceebee
thanks for the respect,Mr Stroud

if ever anyone in the pool workld deserved recognition it is Billy,
maybe because we grew up at the same time it sounds so formal

the name Billy alone focuses the mind on this guy
I still think of young college boy Billy winning all that money from all
those grifters,killers,gangsters and other sharpies at the
Cotton Bowlig Palace at Lemon and Inwood in Dallas

After watching Billy ,I never again watched for fun,I had seen the hustler,the best
that in my mind would ever live. Granted i was maybe 16 and impressionable
but I was hooked on pool from that time . I dreamed of playing good,winning money
and playing in front of crowds like that.

Maybe I will throw in with him and play Incardone,maybe we will catch lightening in a bottle

Get well Billy you've outrun the nuts before

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just feeling sad

I've known Billy since 1963 when he was a pool hero of mine. I recall that he used to practice at the SMU student center where we would chat from time to time. The year I spent every night, all night, at Cotton Bowling Palace (1963-1964) created more memories for me than any other year of my life and many of them involved Billy Stroud.

I knew he had battled lymphoma (a disease that took my wife in 1996) but thought he was in remission. It saddens me to learn that he is back in the battle again. I've lost a lot of pool friends over the years and hope and pray that he won't be added to that list any time soon.

If you read this, Billy, know that I am pulling for you to make a strong come back. Don't know if you still have my number but here it is for you to call any time night or day: 859-384-4909.

Dean, thanks for your post. I'm sure Billy appreciated your call.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I spoke with Bill earlier this evening.
Wow, what a lionhearted champion of a man, positive attitude and looking forward as he always does.

I ordered my first Josswest cue from Bill in 1972, a box cue. He and Danny Janes had just separated and Bill went westward, starting Joss West as it was called at inception. In those days some people called them rectangle cues. I still have it all these years later, along with my second through ten or twelve. I still own several dozen of his cues, including some of the very best ones. You can’t imagine the fun we had talking through designs, his thoughts, over the years. That first fancy box cue was $210. I had bought a new 1971 Triumph Bonneville bike just before the cue (still have the bike too). Doesn’t sound like a lot, but for a young married guy in 1972 it was a ton. Bill needed $225 for the cue, and we ultimately compromised and saw things my way. Bill has a trap for a mind. He can remember every call, likely could tell me the time of day we talked on all calls.

We would talk cars quite a bit. He bought Ferrari’s, other fast cars with road winnings. He still has great sports cars, even today.

More news to come, I sure hope he is on the mend. He is special, a rare one.
A dear friend.

Will Prout

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memory

My first trip to the SBE was in 1995 I had heard of all the big names but had not yet met any of them. I was sitting at a table having a coke when a very well dressed Asian man came up to me and introduced himself as James Mei .

He asked if I would take a photo of him with Bill Stroud. That was a name I had heard several times over as being one of the Top Cuemakers , I immediately said yes of course and remembering I was somewhat nervous as I walked over to take the photo.
There was no reason to be Mr Stroud must of sensed it because he was very friendly and had a way of putting people at ease.
I took two photos and the 3 of us small talked for a bit. It was a big part in my 25 yrs of loving Cues and Pool.

Thank you Mr Bill Stroud you will be in my prayers
Frank Orteca

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend

Bill my prayers are with you and Barbara .All the cues I got from you and remember all them,you are my all time favorite ever in life bar none.I am in the same corner like you.love you sir and all you did to take the level of cue making to the highest level with your 30 thousand McIntosh machine in the 80s.
Your Friend Rich Ford.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From another cancer fighter ,i wish and pray that you get better Bill. I am a minor cue collector too( can,t afford the cues that Will prout,etc...can lol) but i,m a huge fan of your work and i will contact you about one as soon as you beat this . You also have contacted me on facebook and responded to one of my threads and it really meant it alot coming from you.God bless(jason gardner)

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Very tough news...here's to hoping for positive results from the folks at Mayo. Hopefully on the mend soon.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you Billy and your family at this difficult time. Wishing a speedy and full recovery. You are one of the greatest cuemakers ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill, you have been a pioneer innovator in building cues and most of us older guys can remember you from your early playing days.

Your needs are being lifted in prayer by many, many persons on AZB and throughout the pool player's world.

Know that you are not alone in your battle, we have your back.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wishes Bill, for a complete recovery. I'm a cancer survivor myself (2018), so miracles do happen. My wife and I will pray for one for you.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first trip to the SBE was in 1995 I had heard of all the big names but had not yet met any of them. I was sitting at a table having a coke when a very well dressed Asian man came up to me and introduced himself as James Mei .

He asked if I would take a photo of him with Bill Stroud. That was a name I had heard several times over as being one of the Top Cuemakers , I immediately said yes of course and remembering I was somewhat nervous as I walked over to take the photo.
There was no reason to be Mr Stroud must of sensed it because he was very friendly and had a way of putting people at ease.
I took two photos and the 3 of us small talked for a bit. It was a big part in my 25 yrs of loving Cues and Pool.

Thank you Mr Bill Stroud you will be in my prayers
Frank Orteca

I pray all goes well with Bill. James Mei was my first multi thousand dollar cue sale way back in 1994 at a BCA show.

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Purchased mine in 1982 with the sideways W. A lot of money then for what I was earning.
Best of luck Bill, hoping for a quick and full recovery. Joe Gallien