The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 7

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The production stakes them a thousand each, and they play with that money. (IRS forms included)
So from a production stand point, Jenn walked away with 2 grand.Gary zero.

The myth is that they are playing with monopoly money and that just isn't the case. There is real money being earned in these matches, hence the tension and high intensity action.

No the myth is that it's all real ,, there is no way anyone is taking reported money and playing MD even without further compensation, sorry but that boat don't float

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat ironically, the two biggest haters of the show in this thread, have posted in this thread more than everyone else. ( except Cardigan)

I wonder why that is?

Seems like if you hated something so much, it wouldn't really be worth your time to even mention it.

Go figure.

The old Howard Stern syndrome....

The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for an hour and twenty minutes.
Answer most commonly given "I want to see what he'll say next."

The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

The haters end up driving up the ratings and thread posts. The simplistic beauty of irony.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Howard Stern syndrome....

The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for an hour and twenty minutes.
Answer most commonly given "I want to see what he'll say next."

The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

The haters end up driving up the ratings and thread posts. The simplistic beauty of irony.
I've only seen a couple of people who said they didn't like it ,,their not to be confused with people people who don't believe everything being shown is real ,, you don't have to believe it's real to like it or watch it ,,

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I like the show. It's entertaining, fake as shit, but still entertaining.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Certain aspects of the show are scripted but in most cases..the matches played are real and not scripted. I was there watching that match between Gary and Jennifer while they were filming....it was not scripted...you figure they would have to take a number of cuts to get it right. Not easy to script a comeback like that. I mean..the intensity of the match got everyone attention in the room.....I witnessed the whole match...they did cut out some scene that was a little more crazy..but it was well edited. It was amazing to watch how focus Jennifer was in that match...she was definitely in the zone.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Certain aspects of the show are scripted but in most cases..the matches played are real and not scripted. I was there watching that match between Gary and Jennifer while they were filming....it was not scripted...you figure they would have to take a number of cuts to get it right. Not easy to script a comeback like that. I mean..the intensity of the match got everyone attention in the room.....I witnessed the whole match...they did cut out some scene that was a little more crazy..but it was well edited. It was amazing to watch how focus Jennifer was in that match...she was definitely in the zone.

It doesn't matter what you say they won't believe you. They're positive they know everything and it doesn't matter that we actually watched these things happen and know these people in real life.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It doesn't matter what you say they won't believe you. They're positive they know everything and it doesn't matter that we actually watched these things happen and know these people in real life.

True.

I refuse to believe the way some of those matches went. No way in hell there werent scripted outcomes especially with all the bullshit sharking going on in all the episodes, this one in particular.

People matching up wont put up with that shit... unless that's just how it is in NY.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
True.

I refuse to believe the way some of those matches went. No way in hell there werent scripted outcomes especially with all the bullshit sharking going on in all the episodes, this one in particular.

People matching up wont put up with that shit... unless that's just how it is in NY.

I believe those who said they were there. I also watched the show, understood the slow motion edits that make some shots seem impossible but weren't. etc.

What reason do you have for not believing those here who saw it being made? I don't get it.

Jeff Livingston

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya especially when before it was none and now it's some ,of corse some of us knew that all along

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
True.

Of course certain things are done differently for tv. The sharking and people surrounding the table would never happen in real life. The "list", people matching up so easily, people who never gamble playing for 500-1000, etc… those things are fabricated for tv. The producers decide who plays who and for how much. Once they're on the table, they're really playing.

skateboardkid

Registered
I agree, hang. "To shut up and play" would be truly boring to the viewers.
I don't like my game being represented so as to embolden any
"harmful" stereotypes that are out there already.

Again however, I give credit to the producers for generating a pool product.

This seems like a no-win situation for me personally:
if this show eventually bombs, the pool image the show is trying to evoke goes away.

If it does well, the viewing public will be given a untrue picture of the professional,
artistic, and technical game really is.

Oh, the agony! :)

Pool = Gambling.
Furthermore:
Soccer = Gambling.
Football = Gambling.
Baseball = Gambling.

Snooker - the highest paying cue sport... is backed by "Betvictor" - a sports gambling website.

To deny the gambling aspect in sports is naive.

Also, to deny the fact that Pool being on T.V. is beneficial is naive.

If this show got hugely popular, it would be good for pool because more people are watching pool, therefore more people are going to go down to their local poolhall and play - and more people in poolhalls could never be bad for pool.

If the show does not get popular, then it reached a few million viewers who didn't care about pool before the show nor will they care about it after the show.

Either way - the show is a clear winner - to deny that is naive. =)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish that made sense. Really, I do.

I keep fogetiing to chum it down

In the beginning of these threads it was said none of its scripted it's all real ,, anyone who doesn't think so is a idiot

Now it's some of its scripted ,,, but mostly real ,, boy what a shocker !!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat ironically, the two biggest haters of the show in this thread, have posted in this thread more than everyone else. ( except Cardigan)

I wonder why that is?

Seems like if you hated something so much, it wouldn't really be worth your time to even mention it.

Go figure.

There is a reason for that. They can't get over themselves and MUST continue to try and prove they are the smartest people in the room. Even if it means being annoying and obnoxious to do it!! Most of us here know it is a TV show and there is some artistic license being taken in the production. We don't let it consume us and we watch the show for entertainment.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I keep fogetiing to chum it down

In the beginning of these threads it was said none of its scripted it's all real ,, anyone who doesn't think so is a idiot

Now it's some of its scripted ,,, but mostly real ,, boy what a shocker !!

I wish I had the will power to stop responding to you, you just make it difficult. Perhaps you have a learning disability and I feel bad so I try my best to help you understand??? I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I just can't quit you!

1. There is no script
2. Producers decide who plays who and for how much.
3. While people are playing, whatever happened organically, happened. There was no script.
4. It's tv. Things are organized. They HAVE TO BE.
5. The winner of the match was not predetermined. They played, whoever won, won.
6. The same thing keeps being said but you just have a hard time understanding.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I had the will power to stop responding to you, you just make it difficult. Perhaps you have a learning disability and I feel bad so I try my best to help you understand??? I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I just can't quit you!

1. There is no script
2. Producers decide who plays who and for how much.
3. While people are playing, whatever happened organically, happened. There was no script.
4. It's tv. Things are organized. They HAVE TO BE.
5. The winner of the match was not predetermined. They played, whoever won, won.
6. The same thing keeps being said but you just have a hard time understanding.

Here's Duc Lam's first sentence just in case you missed it he was there

Certain aspects of the show are scripted but in most cases..the matches played are real and not scripted. WTF does most cases mean to you ,, let me help you out there Einstein. ,, that means not all

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Here's Duc Lam's first sentence just in case you missed it he was there

Certain aspects of the show are scripted but in most cases..the matches played are real and not scripted. WTF does most cases mean to you ,, let me help you out there Einstein. ,, that means not all

See number 2 on my list.

Good-Day-Sir-Willy-Wonka.gif

No run along, it's almost bingo time!

Last edited: