How would you run this rack?

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack.jpg

Since in pool there is not the right or wrong way to run a rack, I would love to hear your thoughts on that 9-Ball layout. How would you run this rack? Especially from the 8 to the 9 people were discussing if the 9 should be played into the side pocket, or into the corner pocket. I personally think you definetly have to play the 9 into the corner pocket, not into the side.

If you want to, you can use this tool (https://bit.ly/2UYfqZv) to draw lines and move balls around to give your answer. Just click the Save button in the top right and share the link here.

This was my way to do it:
https://youtu.be/NNANsmHu6JY

So - what is your way to run this rack?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for most players there is too much TBD to determine where the 9 is going.

By the time I get there, they might not be in the same place at all.

That said, looks like a pretty simple rack.

Is there a tutorial for your table diagram?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
With where the 5? is sitting, looks like the 8 and 9 will be going into the same pocket . If you end up straight in on the 8, then of course 9 in the side.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would disagree with your recommendation that the 9 be played in the corner; for a few reasons: 1. leaving the cue ball closer to the bottom rail gives you about 6 inches of position play for the 9 in the side - trying to come across the position angle to play 9 in corner gives you half the position landing area- about 3 inches.
2. position for the 9 in corner sends cue ball with the shot on the 9 in corner towards the side pocket for a possible scratch- 9 in side has no cue ball scratch possibility.
3. Speed control needed to land on a shot for 9 in side is easier than speed control needed to land on a shot for 9 in corner.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be honest with you I never watched one of your videos all the way through. I thought they went too slow, were for super beginners, and I got bored. This one however, I was blown away at the views you were showing. I actually watched it with the sound off, as it early morning and I didn't want to wake up the gf. But I could tell what you were explaining with the angles, hand positions, etc you used.

I've fooled around a lot with cameras for my home table, but never a POV camera. Would you mind sharing what you are using for that? I noticed it seemed like the tip was biased a hair to the left on the CB when you were down on all the shots. Was that real, or do you think something was going on with the camera? Is it sensitive to the position you place it on your head? For example if you shift it on your head 1", will it make the CB contact point look significantly different?

For the runout, even with the head on POV shot, its still difficult to know the exact angles without being at the table. I was considering from looking at the still picture in this thread stopping at the 1, and shooting the 2 in the corner. The CB would be inside the 2 ball, and then would stun across table between the 4 and 8, and land near the rail there. This would give an angle on the 3 to go 2 rails out of the corner onto the 4, and play it in the corner like you did.

When you landed where you did on the 3, I noticed right away that you didn't have the angle to go forward, as you'd hit the 8. So you had to stun like you did. I wonder if there was a better place to land for the 3, to avoid that.

The 5 to the 8, I thought you should have bounced off the rail more, so that you have a sharper angle on the 8, and can come two rails around the 9 to shoot the 9 in the same corner as the 8.

If I don't get lazy today, I may try your runout and record it and post it.

PS, get rid of that diagramming tool. Its not a 9' table, and completely changes the layout. For example, my pattern from the 2 to the 3 looks possible on your still picture, but is impossible on the diagramming tool. Sorry that is a pet peeve of mine, more than half of these diagramming tools are little tables.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would disagree with your recommendation that the 9 be played in the corner; for a few reasons: 1. leaving the cue ball closer to the bottom rail gives you about 6 inches of position play for the 9 in the side - trying to come across the position angle to play 9 in corner gives you half the position landing area- about 3 inches.
2. position for the 9 in corner sends cue ball with the shot on the 9 in corner towards the side pocket for a possible scratch- 9 in side has no cue ball scratch possibility.
3. Speed control needed to land on a shot for 9 in side is easier than speed control needed to land on a shot for 9 in corner.

I think he intentionally shot the 8 like that to describe why he shouldn't of done that.

If he was going to put right on the cue ball, he should have put much more right to 2 rail out and put the 9 in the other corner. He could of put left and 2 railed out to put the 9 in the same pocket he did. But shooting it like that seemed intentional.

FWIW, he should do videos on combos, because *if* the 6 and 7 were still on the table, that 5->9 combo looked easy.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another great video! I love the different camera angles and all the enhancements.

I wouldn't put that touch of outside on the 8. The angle looked good for straight top, no side spin. Besides that, I would've ran the rack exactly as you did.:thumbup:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack.jpg

Since in pool there is not the right or wrong way to run a rack, I would love to hear your thoughts on that 9-Ball layout. How would you run this rack? Especially from the 8 to the 9 people were discussing if the 9 should be played into the side pocket, or into the corner pocket. I personally think you definetly have to play the 9 into the corner pocket, not into the side.

If you want to, you can use this tool (https://bit.ly/2UYfqZv) to draw lines and move balls around to give your answer. Just click the Save button in the top right and share the link here.

This was my way to do it:
https://youtu.be/NNANsmHu6JY

So - what is your way to run this rack?

Personally, I would have hit the 1 ball softer. More of a stop shot style. When trying to cross the line on the on 2, six more inches for you would have nearly prevented a run out.

Your 2 to 3 ball positioning was either weak or too strong. Either way, going below the line like you did on the 3, I would have used top to get the cue ball to the side rail and out back to the center of the table for the 4 in the side. You’ve relied to much on touch control(familiarity of table) to hold your position. Specially for a straight in stop shot like you were going for. Once on the 5, since the 6&7 are gone. There is no right or wrong way to run out.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. Like already has been stated straight top on the 8 ball.

Many pros would shoot the 8 with straight draw and come 1 rail for the 9.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your videos are great. I think it would be helpful if you had a video focused on patterns where the cb has to go from one side of the table to the other. I feel like a lot of my runs break down on shots where I have to go from near one short rail to the other short rail. Apologies if you've already done one like that

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...dang you black ball, it's too early for that blasphemous outliar on my screen...

...once I recovered I was still able to recognize what good content is though...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything will depend on the angle that is left on the 5-ball, which is the ball before the 8-ball. I think it's pretty obvious the 8-ball is played in the corner, using outside spin and the cue ball coming around end rail, side rail for shape on the 9-ball in the same corner you pocket the 8-ball.

The only issue is if you happen to come up straight in or nearly straight in on the 8-ball in the corner, which obviously eliminates the 2 rail shape for the 9-ball and might require you to consider shape for the 9-ball in the side pocket or a possible draw shot or one rail for shape on the 9-ball in the other corner pocket.

Last edited: