Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page touch of inside. CJ has me hooked
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcrash View Post
Thanks, PJ, I understand what you're saying. As I mentioned above, I do shoot into the rail with inside spin for balls that are frozen to it
You don't need to shoot into the rail with inside spin for these shots. Aim them exactly as if the rail isn't there, and use whatever spin (or none) is needed for shape.

Quote:
For balls just off the rail, there are cases where you can't get the cue ball to the proper contact point (due to cushion interference) needed for a cut that accounts for the throw
I don't believe this is true. You can hit the overcut spot with the OB on the rail (see above), so an OB just off the rail is even easier.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#47)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks, PJ, I understand what you're saying. As I mentioned above, I do shoot into the rail with inside spin for balls that are frozen to it, but that is different from TOI, at least to me. For balls just off the rail, there are cases where you can't get the cue ball to the proper contact point (due to cushion interference) needed for a cut that accounts for the throw (which will be there for TOI, as well as anything less than gearing english). This is when I choose to shoot with outside english instead. Definitely depends on the exact position, of course. I got onto this thread, though, because I am generally working TOI into my game, and it's really helping me!

I appreciate the responses from both you and CJ.
Here is a shot that might change the way you think about frozen ball shots....

Freeze two balls to the short rail about in the middle and a chalk's-width apart. You are going to play the combination in a strange way. Put the cue ball out from the cushion about 45 degrees from the first ball. Shoot straight at that first ball hard. Hard. Hard. Do not cut that first ball at all.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#48)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player
zcrash is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

05-18-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
You don't need to shoot into the rail with inside spin for these shots. Aim them exactly as if the rail isn't there, and use whatever spin (or none) is needed for shape.
Counter-intuitive to me, but I'll work at it and see if my Self 2 (inner player) will come around to getting it. Thanks.

Old
  (#49)
zcrash
Diligent Home Player
zcrash is on a distinguished road

05-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Freeze two balls to the short rail about in the middle and a chalk's-width apart. You are going to play the combination in a strange way. Put the cue ball out from the cushion about 45 degrees from the first ball. Shoot straight at that first ball hard. Hard. Hard. Do not cut that first ball at all.
Wow, works every time, but I swear I don't have a clue why. Bob, what's happening here?

Old
  (#50)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Wow, works every time, but I swear I don't have a clue why. Bob, what's happening here?
A ball can sink into the cushion up to half an inch, depending on speed and angle. That's why Pat is telling you to ignore the cushion when you play frozen ball shots.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

it's a good tool for the poolbox
Old
  (#51)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Lightbulb it's a good tool for the poolbox - 05-19-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here is a shot that might change the way you think about frozen ball shots....

I haven't tried that shot, I'll make a point to asap.

The shot that's come up several times is when the object ball is by the point of the side pocket, but won't go, and you force the OB through the point of the cushion...I'm sure you know the shot, but for anyone else that hasn't it's a good tool for the poolbox.

Hope all is well with you and yours, BoB, play well.

Join my Private Road Player Membership and I'll Show You Our Systems, Techniques, and Championship Level Fundamentals Today (for the price of treating me to lunch) @ www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Old
  (#52)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

05-19-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
The shot that's come up several times is when the object ball is by the point of the side pocket, but won't go, and you force the OB through the point of the cushion... ... .
I knew the shot for the side pocket, but the first person I saw do it on a corner pocket was Lou Butera in an exhibition.

The cushions are not as solid as they seem.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

I'm not sure what's keeping so many players from figuring this information out?
Old
  (#53)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

CJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond reputeCJ Wiley has a reputation beyond repute

Question I'm not sure what's keeping so many players from figuring this information out? - 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Regardless of what the system is called, it's been around for a LOOONNNGGGG time.

Many, many players use a bit of inside (toi) in certain conditions. Then again, those same players normally use a touch of outside in certain conditions.

In short:

If felt is old or worn....toi (touch of insid). if felt is new or slick....too (touch of outside)
Yes, I trained a pro golfer recently and he had no problem with understanding the Touch of Inside, because it's like "drawing" a golf ball. The Touch of Outside is like "fading" a golf ball.

This is the way to maximize the pocket zone margin of error, just like the golfers use draw, or fade to maximize the zone on a golf fairway or zone.

I'm not sure what's keeping so many players from figuring this information out, in golf just about everyone has except the raw beginners.

Join my Private Road Player Membership and I'll Show You Our Systems, Techniques, and Championship Level Fundamentals Today (for the price of treating me to lunch) @ www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Old
  (#54)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Wiley View Post
This is the way to maximize the pocket zone margin of error
So whenever I get lined up to hit center pocket with a little inside, not specifically to increase the margin for error but simply to control the CB for shape, do I get an increased margin of error too?

pj
chgo

speed and tempo are important to maximize the TOI benefits.
Old
  (#55)
CJ Wiley
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION

Arrow speed and tempo are important to maximize the TOI benefits. - 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
So whenever I get lined up to hit center pocket with a little inside, not specifically to increase the margin for error but simply to control the CB for shape, do I get an increased margin of error too?

pj
chgo
No, because. you aren't aligned to the correct part of the pocket initially.

Also, speed and tempo are important to maximize the TOI benefits.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: