Petition for Olympic Billiards

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Hi all,

As you probably know, billiards is listed as one of the possible sports to be added to the 2020 Olympics, and the Nippon Billiards Association is submitting their documentation to the Olympic committee to plead their case for the sport's inclusion.

Part of the documentation includes a public petition as proof of the popularity of the game, so they are trying to get as many names as possible.

If you have a minute or two, please add your name to the list. (only 2 days left before final submission!)

Change.org Petition

Thanks,
Vic

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

As you probably know, billiards is listed as one of the possible sports to be added to the 2020 Olympics, and the Nippon Billiards Association is submitting their documentation to the Olympic committee to plead their case for the sport's inclusion.

Part of the documentation includes a public petition as proof of the popularity of the game, so they are trying to get as many names as possible.

If you have a minute or two, please add your name to the list. (only 2 days left before final submission!)

Change.org Petition

Thanks,
Vic

Yes, please sign.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't pool already recognised by the IOC and included in the world games?

Darren Appleton is the current Gold Medal holder..

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member
Isn't pool already recognised by the IOC and included in the world games?

Darren Appleton is the current Gold Medal holder..

World Games is an event for the non-olympic sports.

The petition in about the bid for the inclusion of Cue Sports into the Olympic Games 2020, Tokyo, Japan.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
DONE! :thumbup:
Only 2 days left..?
Rather late call...

They've been running it for a week now, but mostly locally and they're still far from their goal.

I actually just learned about it today so I wanted to spread the word and get AZ involved and them clear the 7500 sigs. Thanks everyone!

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Games is an event for the non-olympic sports.

The petition in about the bid for the inclusion of Cue Sports into the Olympic Games 2020, Tokyo, Japan.

Yes, I know that.

Having been involved in this process with the international orienteering federation, does the sport meet all the criteria as yet? For example, depth and composition of country governing bodies?

The idea of pool being an olympic sport over, say, karate, is mind boggling to be honest - and that is speaking as a cue sport enthusiast.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Having been involved in this process with the international orienteering federation, does the sport meet all the criteria as yet? For example, depth and composition of country governing bodies?

I believe this is just a preliminary sumbission, and it's not just for the Olympics itself, which I agree is a long shot, but it's also to have cue sports introduced as a demonstration sport as well as the inclusion of wheelchair pool in the Paralympics.

It may not seem like that much to some, but it's a good start.

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member
(...) does the sport meet all the criteria as yet? For example, depth and composition of country governing bodies? (...)

There are official structures in place: some Continental Federations and many National Federations were able to achieve the proper, required status to the fullest.
Unfortunately, some others did not, which definitely damages the overall reputation.

Also, the fact that IOC recognizes Cue Sports as a whole (see: WCBS) does not help at all, although it could prove to be the positive feature in case of Tokyo 2020.

Pity the London Olympics opportunity was never fully explored …

(...) The idea of pool being an olympic sport over, say, karate, is mind boggling to be honest - and that is speaking as a cue sport enthusiast.

As to this opinion there is no good answer, I suppose. :rolleyes:

We have to work out the situation in which, finally, some Leaders and most Cue Sports’ enthusiasts will work together towards a common goal and stop putting their egos first… :banghead: :eek: :wink:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to this opinion there is no good answer, I suppose. :rolleyes:

We have to work out the situation in which, finally, some Leaders and most Cue Sports’ enthusiasts will work together towards a common goal and stop putting their egos first… :banghead: :eek: :wink:

Exactly. So table tennis, ball room dancing, and curling can be included, but billiard enthusiasts can't seem to build up enough respect collectively to call it a sport let alone agree it should be recognized by the Olympics.

I just signed the petition and hope it succeeds for the future of the sport.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pass, a petition run by a bureaucracy which can't even get the word out on this, let alone develop a sport, so they can join a dying organization so they might make a small sport become popular for the first time in modern olympic history.

No thanks, centralization of sports management by politically influenced organizations is a recipe for disaster... thankfully, it will all collapse without me convincing anyone.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to the Olympics unless your petition is wrapped around a stack of cash they don't give a hairy rats a$$.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
My concern, is their pitch' for their game, 8 ball on a nine footer with 2 1/4 balls and Snooker cut pockets. Or is their motivation for Real Snooker or Real 10 Ball or is it self serving? I've got no dog in this hunt, but the email sent to me had the ''feel'' of 8 ball. If that's their direction, I'm out.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Thank you, Bob.

They're almost at their goal of 7,500, but I hope we can get much more than than in the next couple of days!

They've been running it for a week now, but mostly locally and they're still far from their goal.

I actually just learned about it today so I wanted to spread the word and get AZ involved and them clear the 7500 sigs. Thanks everyone!

Are you sure about this? If so, they have enough. It looks to me like they need 10,000 signatures. According to the website right now they already have 7,939 but it appears they are looking for 2,061 more.

Also, what's the current status? If I read this correctly, this is to petition the JOC to take cue sports into consideration. Assuming they do, is it "in" or does it then have to be approved by the IOC?