RIP Jointed Cue

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
From Facebook:

"It is with true sadness that I have to share this post.

Due to a lawsuit filed by Scott Johnson and the repairs that need to take place according to ADA regulations, the Jointed Cue has to shut its doors. I understand the emotional connection everyone has with this historical pool hall that started 50 years ago by Terry Stonier and I want to thank everyone in the pool community for the love and loyalty you have all showed over the last half century but the financial obligations to this lawsuit have forced the closure. Please do not lose all faith as there may be a possible solution to keep the room open. However this will take some time to work itself out and it is still only a possibility at this time. I appreciate the love and I will keep everyone in the loop. Cross your fingers

Thank you all
Mike"

If you google "Scott Johnson ADA" you'll find out how big of a POS this guy is.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
From Facebook:

"It is with true sadness that I have to share this post.

Due to a lawsuit filed by Scott Johnson and the repairs that need to take place according to ADA regulations, the Jointed Cue has to shut its doors. I understand the emotional connection everyone has with this historical pool hall that started 50 years ago by Terry Stonier and I want to thank everyone in the pool community for the love and loyalty you have all showed over the last half century but the financial obligations to this lawsuit have forced the closure. Please do not lose all faith as there may be a possible solution to keep the room open. However this will take some time to work itself out and it is still only a possibility at this time. I appreciate the love and I will keep everyone in the loop. Cross your fingers

Thank you all
Mike"

If you google "Scott Johnson ADA" you'll find out how big of a POS this guy is.

I'd like to get some more details on this lawsuit and what's involved. Thanks

I found it. This guy is a scam artist and needs to be shut down in court. Someone needs to fight him in court and bring to the court's attention all the claims he has made and the settlements (that's his real business!) that he asks for. He doesn't want to go to trial, trust me on that. He wants to settle - EVERY TIME IF POSSIBLE!

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW WOW WOW..... what a piece of shit that guy is. Some one needs to take him out....like the garbage

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typical of the world we live in today. Sad news.

Yes it is typical.

The guy who calls someone out on something is the POS, while the person we like who owns the pool hall, who is breaking the law, is fine.

The lawsuit guy could very well be the most colossal asshole on the planet, driven by greed, willing to screw over his own mother for personal gain. A real scum bag asshole.

But that doesn't change the fact that the pool hall was not in compliance with the law. If you choose to operate a business, you comply with the laws on the books whether you agree with them or not, or you face the possibility of getting caught somewhere down the line. He got caught.

But lets forget all about the personal legal responsibility of the business owner and put the blame where it feels better for us.

Yes, it is VERY typical of todays world.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Yes it is typical.

The guy who calls someone out on something is the POS, while the person we like who owns the pool hall, who is breaking the law, is fine.

The lawsuit guy could very well be the most colossal asshole on the planet, driven by greed, willing to screw over his own mother for personal gain. A real scum bag asshole.

But that doesn't change the fact that the pool hall was not in compliance with the law. If you choose to operate a business, you comply with the laws on the books whether you agree with them or not, or you face the possibility of getting caught somewhere down the line. He got caught.

But lets forget all about the personal legal responsibility of the business owner and put the blame where it feels better for us.

I understand your point, but you're way off base here. The guy in question sued my friends business over ADA compliance because the sink in the bathroom was 3/4" too tall. Google him. I know you didn't, or you wouldn't be talking like this. He has a team of people who search for businesses out of compliance and run in with tape measures and cameras then run out. He's caused hundreds of small mom and pop businesses to close their doors. He is truly a piece of shit that abuses the system. Look it up.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
WOW! I have been dealing with issues like this for years. It amazes me to see the courts that have to follow the letter of the law rather than read between the lines. I need to comply with ADA regs as part of my job and its tough to make everything meet code.

I truly hope that this works out for the Jointed Cue. The organization I work for gets sued all the time by gold diggers and most often we just settle because its cheaper.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand your point, but you're way off base here. The guy in question sued my friends business over ADA compliance because the sink in the bathroom was 3/4" too tall. Google him. I know you didn't, or you wouldn't be talking like this. He has a team of people who search for businesses out of compliance and run in with tape measures and cameras then run out. He's caused hundreds of small mom and pop businesses to close their doors. He is truly a piece of shit that abuses the system. Look it up.

I did look him up. The businesses were not in compliance. They have a legal obligation to do so, if not they are open to legal consequences as happened in this situation and the others.

Him being a piece of shit or not does not change that. Using people to take measurements and pictures does not change that. Him doing things you dont like does not change that.

The guys motivation (greed, being an asshole, or whatever) for doing so is not important. People are going to do what people are going to do. The room owner was in error by not ensuring his business was in compliance.

Blame is being shifted from the person who made the mistake to the person who called them on it. It might seem trivial in your mind, ADA requirements might seem unimportant to you. I dont know. But the facts of the matter are that the business was not in compliance, no matter who called them out on it or for whatever reason.

Rallying around the idea of the whistleblower being an asshole, or having a history of making legal complaints for monetary gain etc etc etc does not change the fact that the business was not in compliance.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea what the suit is about but I googled his name and to me, it's obvious what is happening.:rolleyes:

As someone else said, I hate :angry: the sue-happy-go-lucky type but at the same time, its not like business owners/operators do not know :confused: he and many others like him are subject to walk through their doors at any given time.

I've had experience with similar people while in business for myself. You "HAVE TO" be prepared or you will pay at some point. It's not "you may pay", rather it's a "you will pay" situation eventually unless you stay on your toes and keep up with current laws/codes. Not to mention, make sure to always be in the know about laws/codes that are being challenged that are in place.

Anyways, I hate to hear about this. The pool room business is hard enough as it is without having to deal with that.

Good luck,

Rake

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a building at my work that needs to be brought up to current regs coz of damage done in a winter storm.

Small building, 2 floor...maybe 10k sq ft.

We are up to 375k and not done yet.

Jay- you have a ladies night story that relates, no?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of businesses are one lawsuit away from bankruptcy.
Even if they prevail in court, they go bust in defense cost.

The system needs tweaking. Perhaps loser pays table time, where table time = legal fees.

I have no idea what the suit is about but I googled his name and to me, it's obvious what is happening.:rolleyes:

As someone else said, I hate :angry: the sue-happy-go-lucky type but at the same time, its not like business owners/operators do not know :confused: he and many others like him are subject to walk through their doors at any given time.

I've had experience with similar people while in business for myself. You "HAVE TO" be prepared or you will pay at some point. It's not "you may pay", rather it's a "you will pay" situation eventually unless you stay on your toes and keep up with current laws/codes. Not to mention, make sure to always be in the know about laws/codes that are being challenged that are in place.

Anyways, I hate to hear about this. The pool room business is hard enough as it is without having to deal with that.

Good luck,

Rake

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is typical.

There is a right way to deal with it and a wrong way … this POS goes about it the wrong way. I 100% disagree with you on this one....

edited to add: yes the business owner should follow the law and be in compliance... BUT … should that allow them to be driven out of business? No way..... the system is flawed.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a right way to deal with it and a wrong way … this POS goes about it the wrong way. I 100% disagree with you on this one....

OK, let me say it this way and see if this one rings a bell.

As a business owner (especially one whose business is open to the public), you have a plethora of laws/requirements that have to be followed to protect yourself from facing legal consequences. There are tax laws that have to be complied with (from city to state to federal). There are food safety laws. There are ADA compliance laws. There are liquor laws. There are employment laws. If you live somewhere with state gambling/lottery machines, there are laws on those you have to follow. On and on and on. The laws are there.

It is the responsibility of the business owner to not only keep apprised of those laws, but to follow them. Failure to do so, can result in legal consequences.

With me so far?

The businesses being discussed were not in compliance. Maybe they thought they wouldn't get caught, maybe they failed to educate themselves about what needed to be done. Maybe they thought they could plead ignorance if it ever comes up. I dont know. But by not being in compliance with the laws they are expected to follow, they opened themselves up to those pesky legal consequences that I spoke of earlier.

Blaming a litigation happy asshole does not change the fact that the business owner was the one in the wrong. The business owners created their own demise by not following the laws on the books.

You can hate on the guy for being an asshole, you can hate on him for abusing the legal system, you can hate on the motherfugger for breathing the same oxygen as you do. I dont care. Makes no difference.

If you want to hate on anybody for the businesses closing though, direct it on the people who caused the business to close. You know, the ones who didnt follow the laws in the first place.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

CORRECT! This guy Johnson is a scam artist, looking for ways to sue people/businesses and make a settlement. I've run into his kind before. They DO NOT want to go to trial, they want to make a settlement and take the easy money. They can be beaten at trial if a pattern is shown to the court of multiple similar filings. I won a case like this (cost me $6,000 in legal fees) against a similar scammer who originally wanted to settle for 32K and then asked for 16K the day of the trial.
If David Stonier contacted me i would be glad to tell him the strategy my attorney used to win my case. Guys like Johnson file so many cases that they can forget which one's which and get tripped up there. My attorney made the opposing attorney look like the scamming fool that he was. I not only won the case but they had to pay all the court costs as well.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As a business owner (especially one whose business is open to the public), you have a plethora of laws/requirements that have to be followed to protect yourself from facing legal consequences. There are tax laws that have to be complied with (from city to state to federal). There are food safety laws. There are ADA compliance laws. There are liquor laws. There are employment laws. If you live somewhere with state gambling/lottery machines, there are laws on those you have to follow. On and on and on. The laws are there.

It is the responsibility of the business owner to not only keep apprised of those laws, but to follow them. Failure to do so, can result in legal consequences.

With me so far?

The businesses being discussed were not in compliance. Maybe they thought they wouldn't get caught, maybe they failed to educate themselves about what needed to be done. Maybe they thought they could plead ignorance if it ever comes up. I dont know. But by not being in compliance with the laws they are expected to follow, they opened themselves up to those pesky legal consequences that I spoke of earlier.

Blaming a litigation happy asshole does not change the fact that the business owner was the one in the wrong. The business owners created their own demise by not following the laws on the books.

You can hate on the guy for being an asshole, you can hate on him for abusing the legal system, you can hate on the motherfugger for breathing the same oxygen as you do. I dont care. Makes no difference.

If you want to hate on anybody for the businesses closing though, direct it on the people who caused the business to close. You know, the ones who didnt follow the laws in the first place.

Kinda sucks, but you're right.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Johnson dude and all the other low life slime in this world like him are real D bag's. He got sued by his former employees and they 'sung like bird' on his cheesy sham.

Sorry to hear he got the 'Rack'

-Kat,

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of businesses are one lawsuit away from bankruptcy.
Even if they prevail in court, they go bust in defense cost.

The system needs tweaking. Perhaps loser pays table time, where table time = legal fees.

Yes, very much so.

That is something the judge/jury can award in many suits currently but unfortunately they rarely do.

FMLA cases for example. You are let go at work by way of R.I.F. (reduction in force), but feel you were discriminated against.

Well, you and a lawyer file suit with E.E.O.C. but they find no wrong doing. At that point you take it to court (skipped a lot of details here for time sake). You lose in court and the judge "can", but rarely makes the plaintiff pay for defendants legal fees.

Frivolous suits cost us a pretty penny every day. If the system would enforce that (and they can), it would be at least a few drops taken out of the large money pit we taxpayers are responsible for.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member

With me so far?

You act like all of the hundreds of businesses that had to close their doors due to the litigation from this one asshole all built the buildings that housed their businesses from the ground up. That's not the case. Regardless, you seem to be too far out of touch to even argue with.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You act like all of the hundreds of businesses that had to close their doors due to the litigation from this one asshole all built the buildings that housed their businesses from the ground up. That's not the case. Regardless, you seem to be too far out of touch to even argue with.

Im speaking facts and reality.

Youre speaking from emotion. You feel your "friends" have been screwed. Pool is losing a nice pool hall that so and so played at etc etc

Would you be this pissed off if it was the local building inspector who came in and wrote them up for the compliance issues? I kind of doubt that.

But because the person who got the ball rolling has a history of being a douchebag, you seem to be blindly disregarding that he would not have had a legal leg to stand on had the owner of the pool hall been in compliance in the first place.

Yet I am the one you think is out of touch.

2018 Fook facts and reality. Feelings and conjecture are the new way we do things. :thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Jointed Cue owner should counter-sue for some blackmail, harassment, bribery to settle, et cetera.