How to practice one pocket.. by yourself

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
So I am getting ready to move, and the new house is in a location where NO ONE is likely to come visit and give me some one pocket opposition, and I was just curious if anyone has come up with creative ways to practice one pocket by yourself.

I know there are numerous "shots" and layouts you can practice, but that doesn't really help with "moving" through a whole rack. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
So I am getting ready to move, and the new house is in a location where NO ONE is likely to come visit and give me some one pocket opposition, and I was just curious if anyone has come up with creative ways to practice one pocket by yourself.

I know there are numerous "shots" and layouts you can practice, but that doesn't really help with "moving" through a whole rack. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't played much 1p in my life but I am starting to appreciate the game more.

What I have done a few times is simply play full racks against myself but to keep from getting confused over which pocket is 'mine, or 'his' :embarrassed2:, I use two different cues which amazingly, seems to keep it straight and me more competitive.

The pre game woofing for a spot gets a little weird though. :)

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ask

This question on 1p.org

I was told toss balls on table. Take ball in hand. Shoot them in order into one pocket. When you can do this in 25 shots you are get there.

2nd time I tried I did it in 26, then I reread the part about

in order !!!!!!!!!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rack the balls.
I break the balls towards my pocket.
I take ball in hand.
I try to run the balls into my pocket.

This is the best one pocket "warm up" type practice, but nothing beats a game against a good player.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I rack the balls.
I break the balls towards my pocket.
I take ball in hand.
I try to run the balls into my pocket.

This is the best one pocket "warm up" type practice, but nothing beats a game against a good player.

Maybe a novel idea would be to, actually practice plying 'SAFE' which is at least 50% of what the game consists of!

Stopping the CB behind balls from 8 feet away, banking balls that don't go and placing the CB in the stack at an EXACT spot!

Moving multiple balls from your opponents pocket with COMPLETE CB control!

Learning the correct speeds at different distances to FREEZE the CB on a cushion.

Running the balls is a natural part of any game, placing the CB in EXACT positions on the table is NOT!

MOST games that are lost playing 1 hole, are from a player loosing control of the CB, either playing a BAD safety or by getting out of line running balls, from NOT knowing EXACTLY how they are going to run them!

Obviously this is, JMHO!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe a novel idea would be to, actually practice plying 'SAFE' which is at least 50% of what the game consists of!

Stopping the CB behind balls from 8 feet away, banking balls that don't go and placing the CB in the stack at an EXACT spot!

Learning the correct speeds at different distances to FREEZE the CB on a cushion.

Running the balls is a natural part of any game, placing the CB in EXACT positions on the table is NOT!

MOST games that are lost playing 1 hole, are from a player loosing control of the CB, either playing a BAD safety or by getting out of line running balls, from NOT knowing EXACTLY how they are going to run them!

Obviously this is, JMHO!

Learn to read and 'STOP TYPING LIKE THIS'

Obviously this is, JMHO! :rolleyes:

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
these are great

Obviously this is, JMHO!

This right here has to be the basics and the fundamental part of 1P. Thank you for your input.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Obviously this is, JMHO!

I've been dabbling with playing against myself, putting my wife's fancy chalk holder at the opposite pocket after each inning in order to keep track of the hole I should be shooting at. Now after reading your advice, I think my time might be better served doing what you suggest. It does seem to be the essence of what you should be doing in the game.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Obviously this is, JMHO!

Great Advice Bill !!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Obviously this is, JMHO!

this suggestion makes a lot of sense to me.

thx!

best,
brian kc

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one should practice 1p in 2 ways,!ball running and game play

Playing games where you shoot the 'right' shot instead of the hero shot are the most directly helpful, IMO. That said, gotta be able to run balls. 8+at a time is really handy.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one should practice 1p in 2 ways,!ball running and game play

Playing games where you shoot the 'right' shot instead of the hero shot are the most directly helpful, IMO. That said, gotta be able to run balls. 8+at a time is really handy.

Or so you've been told...

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing you could do,get these books and practice what's in them:
"Shots, Moves and Strategies" and "Winning One Pocket" both by Eddie Robin

asiasdad

Banned
One thing you could do,get these books and practice what's in them:
"Shots, Moves and Strategies" and "Winning One Pocket" both by Eddie Robin

These books are on the high end of instructional books, however if you
can only buy one of them, Shots, Moves, and Strategies is the one to
get.

This information was given to me directly by Eddie Robin.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's tough... I don't have the chance to play others much, so when it's the case I usually just play myself. As someone else mentioned, it might be good having some way to remind yourself which "player" you are playing as you progress through the game. I forget which pocket I am on all the time when playing myself, so I use a marker that I move to the pocket I am on for the inning. And I play it to win ;)

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How I practice 1 pocket alone

I make the break and then try to get out of it. I feel the rest seems to be a lot of the same. I may go a few rounds into it but I feel the break and shot immediately following are the 2 most important shots in the game of 1 pocket. I also swap sides I break from.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
The biggest shots in the game of one pocket are the break and getting out of the break. I usually will practice breaking the balls and a few moves after the break and do it again. I do the L drill to practice running balls which I put a link to below, looks easy but not when you do it on a table with 4 inch pockets. I practice banking balls and controlling my cue ball, getting the speed down so my cue ball is on the rail and the object ball near my hole especially on the long straight backs. Little tippy tap shots controlling the cue ball because the simplest shots can be it seems most effective and easily overlooked as many try to do too much, keep it simple. I practice multiple rail kicks also with good speed.

The L Drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koELts8EmeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAJH_08np_c

Last edited: