he had to get the dictionary

there were two ways to spell it

we had a laugh, i will be sad for some time now
has anyone told billy

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We just called him "Kelly" and everyone knew who you were talking about. I first fell in love with pool after watching "The Hustler" in 1961. The second time was when I saw Kelly play. It was like he had elevated pool to an art form. His movements around the table were so graceful, and the way he got down on the ball and delivered his stroke were equally as beautiful. Those who saw him play will know exactly what I'm talking about. I wanted to be like him and just glide around the table, making everything look so simple and magnificent at the same time.

He was just as comfortable playing in a tux in a grand ballroom as he was playing in a backroom somewhere and betting all his cheese. Kelly was widely recognized as the best All Around player in the game for many years. This was the premier distinction in the pool world at that time, before there was much formal recognition of pool brilliance. He always dressed to the nines, with flared bell bottoms, alligator shoes and a long collared shirt. He would carry the best case and play with the nicest looking cue. He usually drove a new Caddy as well. Kelly was the movie star of the pool world and could back it up on the table.

Eddie was the inspiration for John Brescia to write the movie The Baltimore Bullet. It was his story dramatized for the big screen. James Coburn played his part in the movie. His last big match was in the finals of Grady's World One Pocket Championship at the Flamingo Hilton in Reno in 1992. There were over 100 of the best One Pocket players in the world there and it ended up with Kelly and Cornbread Red in the finals. They both played brilliantly, harking back to their old rivalry. The first prize was $20,000, a very large payday back then. Fittingly, it went down to the last ball, tied three games apiece and 7-7. After a series of well executed safeties, Kelly got an opening and banked the final ball into his hole for the win. Too bad there wasn't any video of that match. I wrote a long article about it for Billiards Digest but it got edited down to one page.:eek:

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just called him "Kelly" and everyone knew who you were talking about. I first fell in love with pool after watching "The Hustler" in 1961. The second time was when I saw Kelly play. It was like he had elevated pool to an art form. His movements around the table were so graceful, and the way he got down on the ball and delivered his stroke were equally as beautiful. Those who saw him play will know exactly what I'm talking about. I wanted to be like him and just glide around the table, making everything look so simple and magnificent at the same time.

He was just as comfortable playing in a tux in a grand ballroom as he was playing in a backroom somewhere and betting all his cheese. Kelly was widely recognized as the best All Around player in the game for many years. This was the premier distinction in the pool world at that time, before there was much formal recognition of pool brilliance. He always dressed to the nines, with flared bell bottoms, alligator shoes and a long collared shirt. He would carry the best case and play with the nicest looking cue. He usually drove a new Caddy as well. Kelly was the movie star of the pool world and could back it up on the table.

Eddie was the inspiration for John Brescia to write the movie The Baltimore Bullet. It was his story dramatized for the big screen. James Coburn played his part in the movie. His last big match was in the finals of Grady's World One Pocket Championship at the Flamingo Hilton in Reno in 1992. There were over 100 of the best One Pocket players in the world there and it ended up with Kelly and Cornbread Red in the finals. They both played brilliantly, harking back to their old rivalry. The first prize was $20,000, a very large payday back then. Fittingly, it went down to the last ball, tied three games apiece and 7-7. After a series of well executed safeties, Kelly got an opening and banked the final ball into his hole for the win. Too bad there wasn't any video of that match. I wrote a long article about it for Billiards Digest but it got edited down to one page.:eek:
Nice post. You were lucky to have known him. And a bunch other greats. Is there ANY video of Eddie playing?

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a player Ed was. Back in the late 60's it was Ronnie Allen, Marvin Henderson and Ed Kelly on the west coast as the best One Pocket Players. I remember watching Ed play and couldn't believe his skill and demeanor. He left the game sometime around the 70's and became a dealer in Vegas and quit drinking. But he emerged to win the Grady One Pocket Event in Reno in 1993 in a very tough field. That was the last time I had an opportunity to talk with him. I always felt he might have been the best All Around Pool Player I ever saw.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just heard that Ed Kelly passed away last night. One of the best all around pool players to ever pick up a cue! RIP my long time buddy. :angel:

Wow. Really sad to hear that. Met him and hung out at 1984 Caesars Tahoe Tourney. Legendary player.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Allen, Jack Breit, and Champagne Eddie !

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 379

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie, Your Taxi's here

Hi Jay. Thanks for the very sad news about Ed Kelly. You were spot on about what a player he was. I knew Eddie since the 60s when he came to Dallas, after wining the Vegas tournament. What a sweet man.
Funny story: Eddie said, "Come on Alfie. I'll give you the seven for twenty a game until my taxi gets her." Now, I know the 7 from a player like that is minimal. But I was in my twenties and had two things going for me: I shot pretty freakin' straight and second, I wasn't afraid of any champion. I know, if i get to the pay-ball (Or, in this case, two pay balls) before he did, I won. Anyway, I happened to be dabbing it pretty good and Eddie was a little sluggish (Plus, my friend behind the counter turned the air down for me so the humidity un-smoothed his super smooth slip stroke just a shade). I was kicking his butt so I asked Jack Potter to cancel his cab. Jackpot, as he is known to his friends here was the only person in the place with a stroke smoother than Eddies.
Suddenly the cream began rising to the top at an uncomfortable pace and Mr. (Heavy on the "Mister") kelly fell in stroke and turned my dream game into a nightmare. "Quick, Jack. Call his cab, and tell them to hurry." My mama didn't raise no fool. I was still ahead enough when the cab arrived to buy his Harry Petros cue. It had Eddies name inlaid into the butt plate. The following day I found a craftsman who replaced his name with mine. On second thought, maybe my mama did raise a fool.

All kidding aside, the pool world has lost a major member of the old guard. A lot of us miss you and remember you fondly..
Eddie Kelly,...Rest in peace noble man. I'll watch for your cab.. Alfie

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It was Allen Hopkins that introduced me to Eddie in about 2003 or so and we had a nice, though short, chat. I didn't see Eddie again for several years but, to my amazement, he remembered me. I saw him just a few of times after that, but he always greeted me cordially.

When I attended the BCA Hall of Fame dinner in 2017, about twenty five BCA Hall of Famers sat on the podium to honor inductees Rossman and Appleton. As I gazed upon them, it occurred to me that the only one of them I'd never seen play was Eddie Kelly, yet I knew his reputation as one of the two best all-around players of his era, along with Lassiter.

The world of pool just lost a classy shooter and also a classy guy. Sad news indeed.

Last edited:

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Pool Great

Clearly one of the best to ever play the game.
Jay, sorry for your loss, I know the two of you were long time friends, and I know what it is like to lose people close to you.

RIP Champagne Eddie.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never saw him play but i did meet him maybe 8 years ago, sitting at the bar, smiling, happy and in seemingly good health. This was in the pool room on Decatur in Vegas that is now 'Griff's'. We had a nice conversation and he still had a bit of 'swagger' in him. Seems to me he had a pretty good life. RIP Ed

8&out

Registered
one of the best strokes in all of pool

real Gentleman, both at the table and away from the table.

he had one of the most beautiful strokes,
there was no game he did not play
and play as a Champion

Rest in Peace

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the Greatest Players of all time. He made his mark in 3 cushion and pocket billiards. That's a tough thing to accomplish. RIP Mr Kelly,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Jay....if you still got that article on file, I’d love to read it on here.
...Red showed me the final bank he missed, and left Eddy a bank back.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay....if you still got that article on file, I’d love to read it on here.
...Red showed me the final bank he missed, and left Eddy a bank back.

I don't remember what issue it appeared in and doubt that I saved it. I think the event was in 1991 or 1992, late in the year, so the article would appear a month or so afterwards.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time I matched up against Eddie was (memory.... lol), I think, early to mid 90's. I always enjoyed playing with or even around him.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you've never seen Eddie Kelly

When I first saw him I knew, this is the the life for me. He made James Bond
look like a hillbilly. You know that line from the Hustler "he moves like a dancer'
well that's how he moved . When he played, he had a little short slip stroke
and a short pause before he delivered. The absolute, prettiest stroke ever
bar none. I saw him at the Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas. I think maybe
Ty brought him in to try and get him down with Bobby Chapman a big time
book . (I could be wrong about this). Alf and him started playing and like a
lot of out of towners it took him a little while to adjust to those A.E. Schmidt
strange size tables. I didn't want to get that cab there for him, I wanted to
watch him play, but let me me tell you it took a REAL GOOD player to give
my buddy Alf the 7 at C.B.P.. I think Alf wanted him to leave so he could get
his cue.
jack