History of the IPT

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching old videos of the IPT, and have seen a few comments here and there on the forums, and wondered first-where did the money come from to back this tour, and second, why did it fail? I know Kevin Treadeau was the guy behind it, and apparently some shady deals, but I've never heard what really happened. Somebody enlighten me ( if possible)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Online poker sites would have probably been happy to fund it, particularly for TV advertising.

..... Popcorn-beer smilie.gif.....

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While some money was paid out, it seemed like most of it went to that class act of Mike Segal :rolleyes:

It showed me how desperate pool players were for a tour, I knew several that left jobs, and were thousands of dollars stuck trying to get in. I wont name, names, but there were several notables.

I know some on this forum will say "others on this forum are just as bad as Kevin Treadeau" and that may be true, but as most learned in kindergarden, that doesnt make it right.

I blame Mike Segal as much as Kevin.

I wish our top players had a venue to get the $$$, but I just dont see it coming, ever.

Ken

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I have been watching old videos of the IPT, and have seen a few comments here and there on the forums, and wondered first-where did the money come from to back this tour, and second, why did it fail? I know Kevin Treadeau was the guy behind it, and apparently some shady deals, but I've never heard what really happened. Somebody enlighten me ( if possible)

Short version:

Kevin gave it a shot to market pro pool with some high-money tournaments. He got the
money mostly from his own pocket and some sponsors. In the end, the business model
didn't work and he pulled out. The ending was not cool, but he did put a couple million in
players pockets.

Obviously, Efren won by far the most.

gr. Dave

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short version:

Kevin gave it a shot to market pro pool with some high-money tournaments. He got the
money mostly from his own pocket and some sponsors. In the end, the business model
didn't work and he pulled out. The ending was not cool, but he did put a couple million in
players pockets.

Obviously, Efren won by far the most.

gr. Dave

Exactly-The Ho BS was just a face saving thing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
While some money was paid out, it seemed like most of it went to that class act of Mike Segal :rolleyes:

It showed me how desperate pool players were for a tour, I knew several that left jobs, and were thousands of dollars stuck trying to get in. I wont name, names, but there were several notables.

I know some on this forum will say "others on this forum are just as bad as Kevin Treadeau" and that may be true, but as most learned in kindergarden, that doesnt make it right.

I blame Mike Segal as much as Kevin.

I wish our top players had a venue to get the $$$, but I just dont see it coming, ever.

Ken

This seems to be ignored by most people...
...the biggest culprit in the collapse of the IPT was US government legislation.

If online poker wasn't banned, there would be a lot of pool player millionaires by now.
Trudeau had a good model and he put more money into the game than anyone else I
know of....the IPT could've made it like the PGA did for golf.

Pool doesn't seem to get a break

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised that there has not been a book written about the IPT. Its origins, business plan, internet gambling legislation monkeywrenches, slowpay issues...the lot.

I think it would sell...at least to the pool fraternity.

Heck maybe KT would like to tell his story thru a ghostwriter.;)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems to be ignored by most people...
...the biggest culprit in the collapse of the IPT was US government legislation.

If online poker wasn't banned, there would be a lot of pool player millionaires by now.
Trudeau had a good model and he put more money into the game than anyone else I
know of....the IPT could've made it like the PGA did for golf.

Pool doesn't seem to get a break

No one really knows what direction things would have taken if online betting hadn't been banned in the U.S. Rumers were flying back then, and there was talk about a potential deal between Trudeau and gambling syndicates in Macau. That's treacherous business. There's no protection when you're dealing with those people.

What we do know for a fact, though, is that Trudeau is a con man and a convicted criminal.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No one really knows what direction things would have taken if online betting hadn't been banned in the U.S. Rumers were flying back then, and there was talk about a potential deal between Trudeau and gambling syndicates in Macau. That's treacherous business. There's no protection when you're dealing with those people.

What we do know for a fact, though, is that Trudeau is a con man and a convicted criminal.

Treacherous business, keeping it pool related, has been found a lot....
....organizers disappearing with the money has happened often enough..
...you would know more of the names than I do.

So you would consider Ho from Macau scarier to do business with?

I'm not interested in discussing Trudeau's snake oil products....
...only his vision of pool's direction.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have to take Trudau as a whole into consideration when you discuss his business ventures. You can't just compartmentalize him into good bits and bad bits. He is who he is. Is he still in jail? I heard he is.

Look at what he did when he realized that there wasn't going to be a future for his venture. He ignored his obligations and stopped paying the players, even though he broke his contract with them by doing it. They had to threaten legal action to get their money. That speaks volumes about how he felt about the role of the players in his venture. It was all about him and what was in it for him.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You have to take Trudau as a whole into consideration when you discuss his business ventures. You can't just compartmentalize him into good bits and bad bits. He is who he is. Is he still in jail? I heard he is.

Look at what he did when he realized that there wasn't going to be a future for his venture. He ignored his obligations and stopped paying the players, even though he broke his contract with them by doing it. They had to threaten legal action to get their money. That speaks volumes about how he felt about the role of the players in his venture. It was all about him and what was in it for him.

I know of no one who hasn't got paid by Trudeau....I even know a player who got his
small sum of $2,000.....so if there is any pool player that Trudeau owes money to....
...let him come on AZ and speak up.

I suspect Sigel has some kudos coming here.....

I know of a lot that could complain about Mackey, Baxter, and Annigoni....
....but Trudeau seems to get most of the steam.
...and US legislation gets none.

As to Trudeau's other business, that's a subject for NPR, along with the whole
legal drug business, and robber barons.
I doubt if Trudeau is responsible for any innocent dying, unlike families like the
Rockefellers and such.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Ipt

I know of no one who hasn't got paid by Trudeau....I even know a player who got his
small sum of $2,000.....so if there is any pool player that Trudeau owes money to....
...let him come on AZ and speak up.

I suspect Sigel has some kudos coming here.....

I know of a lot that could complain about Mackey, Baxter, and Annigoni....
....but Trudeau seems to get most of the steam.
...and US legislation gets none.

As to Trudeau's other business, that's a subject for NPR, along with the whole
legal drug business, and robber barons.
I doubt if Trudeau is responsible for any innocent dying, unlike families like the
Rockefellers and such.

:eek: Your comments are way different what was written in billiards digest , ( 11 % ) pay off by KT. ( 2006) or ( 2007 )

I am pretty sure I know one player who didn't get paid...................
And if I remember right the players had to sue KT to get paid at all.....
What I have seen on TV about KT is he is nothing more then a snake oil sale person that would sale you dying grandmother birth control pills.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Mike "The Mouth" brought him to pool knowing just what he was. Mike made a good pay day being his front man.

I've been saying for 20 years or more that W/O betting on pool legally it would never get well again. Johnnyt

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
It was worth the price of VIP seats at the Finals in Reno
just to see Tony Chohan in a new suit, with tie and dress
shoes. Talk about a fish out of water. Rafael Martinez
wasn't looking too happy either, in his waay tooo big suit.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

His vision of pool was clouded not by snake oil but hash oil it was a pipe dream at best

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The IPT wasn't a sustainable business model. In fact it wasn't a business at all. Just a pathological crook who has made a career out of bamboozling people that wanted to feel like a big guy by funding a sport that had no funding to speak of.
The prize money was way in excess of what it was taking in. No legit people ever wanted anything to do with Trudeau. That's a fools path. The guys certifiably nuts.