Ronnie OSullivans American Hustle Season 1 Episode 1 on Youtube

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my notes on the experience taken at the time....

British Hustler

In person Ronnie has a surprisingly pleasant disposition. In the press he has been characterized as moody, unpredictable, and a prima donna but he turned out to be very positive, accommodating and modest.
That was exactly my take on Ronnie.
Thanks for the extended notes!
Dave

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He preferred to play pool left handed, maybe to keep pool touch separate from snooker touch.

I am sure you know that Ronnie has made century breaks with his left hand, and using it while playing routinely, even if he doesn't actually need to, for example Ronnie is known to break off left handed for some reason (he says that he gets more spin on the CB that way). He also playes left handed for the fun of it (like on the final black on a 147 break in the Welsh open (he even played a deep screw on the last red left handed)).

All I'm saying is that his left hand has the "snooker touch" too....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a fun show! I wonder what the reception is in the markets it was broadcast in.

Is that it? They mentioned going to 4 cities on the introduction, and 4 cities they did.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a lot of research work originally on this series but it was always going to be just four shows. There was a lot more material that was not used.
This includes material on many diverse subjects. All these are still ideas on the drawing board and have only been minimally sketched in.

A profile of the New York Athletic Club an their iconic billiards room presented by a Celebrity Club Member.

Expanding on the history of some of the tables found in Blatts warehouse. These include tables once owned by Arnold Schwazenneger and England's Queen Victoria. It is rumored that they have a further 2000 tables in a climate controlled aircraft hanger in the Nevada desert. We hoped to visit them with Good Fellas actor Paul Sorvino.

A 25 minute feature on Tony and Gale Robles portraying their romance as Romeo and Juliet and evolving into West Side Story. This idea was the brainchild of a top producer currently working on a top Broadway show.

A feature on Mika Immonen, Darren Appleton, Thorsten Hohmann and Jayson Shaw and their impact on the US scene.

Ladies First - Jean Balukas. Then Jeanette Lee and George Breedlove, Ewa Mataya (as was) and Jimmy Mataya
Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Kelly Fisher. How they changed the face of the Ladies game forever plus where are they now?

The False Dawns - Don Mackey, the PBTA and World Team Billiards, C J Wiley and
the PCSA? Kevin Trudeau and the IPT and the Johnny Archer driven ABP. Where did they go?.. And where did all the money go?

What really happened in Vegas for the 2013 Mosconi Cup and other tales from the crypt of pool. Pool's soft underbelly - Dumping and betting coups What really went on in Cardiff and Vegas.

Europe and the UK all have stories waiting to be told.

Celebrity players and fans including Barak Obama, Elvis plus
The next Sultan of Brunei and other royal connections.

The Matchroom Story - plenty to relish there.

Cue for a story or two - Bob Meucci, the late Jim McDermott, Viking's Nancy Hart are all well known production cue makers. But what about some of their iconic one off models. Then it would need another episode devoted custom cue makers like Gus Szamboti and Ray Schuler

Did you know that 9 Ball is not the only pool game? Have you heard about a game called 8 Ball or even 10 Ball. How about One Pocket or Straight Pool? Learn all about them here.

The Unsung Heroes - Mike Pannozo, Jerry Forsyth, Mike Howerton Jay Helfert, Bob Jewett and Ted Lerner. The Unknown Unsung Heroes, so unknown that you have probably never heard of them.

The story of the WPA plus the BCA, the APBU, the EPBF. How they all began

Many of these topics do not have the light touch presented in Ronnie's series but nonetheless we can find a market for them. All four American Hustlers episodes have been widely viewed even by non pool people.

We could find material to make at least another 24 hours of pool history. We have many other US themed segments and then there is The Philippines, Taiwan, China Japan all with fascinating facts about them.

What I would like are some keen individuals capable of producing quality material from their own realm and we can edit them into a historic record of our sport. So you can post your ideas on PM me on here.

Most of this will be a labor of love but it will give you chance to help chronicle the game from your point of view.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding post # 146 by pro9dg (his username)
Thanks for posting. What a lot of great stories that we want to see and hear. Yes, Blatts; I could spend weeks there. And every other topic that you mentioned sounds interesting.
Thanks for a great four shows and I hope to see more like them.
One topic you did not mention; ACTION POOL.
For the uninitiated* ACTION means gambling. I would like to see a show or more about gambling on pool. Scott Frost would be a part of that show I hope.

Dave

*AZBilliards gets new young members, some of whom have no idea of pool's relationship to gambling.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The producers didn't want any sort of significant preannouncement separate from their own publicity, which is completely understandable.

Ronnie was, of course, amazing. He preferred to play pool left handed, maybe to keep pool touch separate from snooker touch. He was also friendly and approachable. I tried to get him on the carom table, but it was taken. Maybe I should have suggested 14.1.

Thanks to John Henderson for arranging for me to be there.

As for not knowing who Ronnie was, I was careful to bring my copy of his autobiography, "Running", for him to sign.

And that is a Revo shaft.

My hero! :)

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding post # 146 by pro9dg (his username)
Thanks for posting. What a lot of great stories that we want to see and hear. Yes, Blatts; I could spend weeks there. And every other topic that you mentioned sounds interesting.
Thanks for a great four shows and I hope to see more like them.

I cannot take credit for the way the show turned out. The laid back manner of Ronnie and Matt Smith made the series very watchable.

But there were not too many things that I hadn't left footprints. I saw the fabulous Blatt Collection when it was stored on Broadway. I drove a Mustang from New York to Mohegan Sun. During he course of this journey I took a wrong exit off the freeway and ended up in Harlem in an open top sports car. Ignoring my passenger's request to stop and ask directions we eventually saw an escape route. I also experienced Lennox Street and Alcatraz plus Meucci's factory when it was in Mississippi.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*AZBilliards gets new young members, some of whom have no idea of pool's relationship to gambling.

... and for every one of them I am grateful. All that romanticizing about gambling and on the road and big money - just leave it be. Times are over.
For gamblers its now their turn to become decent human beings.

The show was excellent, but somehow I quickyl smelled the rat on that left/right hand game. A Revo player surely has heard of Johnnie O'Sullivan :p
However I was shocked about the state of that pool table...

Cheers!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did a lot of research work originally on this series but it was always going to be just four shows. There was a lot more material that was not used.
This includes material on many diverse subjects....

You're right Doug, there was a lot of good stuff that didnt make the cut this time.
I gave them a ton of information and locations that they did use, but there are at least three more shows on the cutting room floor, so I hope they keep the idea alive and run with it.
Part of the problem also, since it was a "pilot" so to speak, they did have a limited budget, and not being from the u.s., they were constantly running into logistical delays that ended up cutting into their filming time. So I'm sure next time they will have planned better and will be working with a fatter budget, and thus will produce an even better show.

Can't wait to see what's next and I hope they broadcast it in the u.s.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right Doug, there was a lot of good stuff that didnt make the cut this time.
I gave them a ton of information and locations that they did use, but there are at least three more shows on the cutting room floor, so I hope they keep the idea alive and run with it.
Part of the problem also, since it was a "pilot" so to speak, they did have a limited budget, and not being from the u.s., they were constantly running into logistical delays that ended up cutting into their filming time. So I'm sure next time they will have planned better and will be working with a fatter budget, and thus will produce an even better show.

Can't wait to see what's next and I hope they broadcast it in the u.s.

I spoke with them and they have no current plans to run with any more. This is in spite of the fact that the series was picked up and shown on Sky One which is almost a mainstream channel in the UK. I did a lot of work in the early stages but when I asked them if they would pay me there was no budget Did they shoot anything at your museum? I recommended that they visit it while they were in Chicago.

I am currently having discussions with friends and contacts around the world to find people who are interested in compiling their own city/country's historical place in the game. Some gems might emerge from there like Chesapeake (US Open) or Alaska where they have a megabucks tournament open only to native Alaskans.
Other possibilities

History of the Derby

The Johnson City Era

Brunswick versus Diamond v Kasson v Gandy tables

Spotlight on Germany ft Ortmann Souquet Hohmann

The Coaches Mark Wilson Jerry Briesath Randy Gottlieber Bert Kinster

The Phenomenal career of Johann Ruysink

Life on the Road

World Team Billiards - Who was Who?

The Million Dollar Payday that went sour

UK's World Champions -Peach 9 ball,, Appleton 10 ball, Boyes 8 ball plus Gray,
Majid, Hundal, Melling and Shaw

The Vegas Hotel Extravaganzas - Valley, BCA and others at The Riviera

The Challenge of Champions Matt and Bettianne Braun

How the Mafia came to sponsor Pool

The Philippine Fiasco - How pool has had to fight to survive in this hotbed. This
really was an armed struggle. Pool Life or Pond Life?

The Iconic pool clubs - USA.. Amsterdam Billiards (NYC), Pinky's (LV)
Steinway (NYC), The Lions Den (LV). Some are gone some remain

Iconic Pool Clubs - Worldwide. I believe that the most beautiful pool club in the world is in MECCA. But many run it close.

How the room owners killed pool in the U

How the East was won – a look at the phenomenal growth of pool among the sand dunes,

Spotlight on Iran where they have over 100 qualified pool coaches and a similar number of qualified referees. It is hard to believe but they have thriving pool clubs in Syria and the Lebanon

Por favor - a look at Pool in Spain, Puerto Rica, Hawaii and Mexico

There has got to be 40 or 50 hours there. But it is a lot of work and I need contributors.

It has to be done or our pool heritage will be lost forever.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found this on Youtube the other night and binge watched all 4 episodes. I loved it! Ronnie seemed much more down to Earth than I previously thought. I wish I had run into him. I would have jumped up for $50. Absolutely! They came to my regular room CA Billiards and played AZB regular Bob Jewett. So that was cool to see.

The only improvement I would like to see is the editing. They cut from game to game and edited it to look like it was the same game - except that the editors didn't apparently know that once someone is stripes or solids they are committed for the whole game :)

To see someone running out an 8-ball rack by shooting the 9, 11, 2, 13, 5 and 8 is a little distracting for anyone who understands the game at all.

All in all though a great effort and I would love to see more shows like this.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too bad he didn't really get the box to make a donation to his pool playing cousins. Spread some of that snooker money.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought far Dave said you won't play with a Carbon Fiber cue in one of his videos sir.
That’s Fake News.

What I might have said is that Bob doesn’t approve of phenolic-tip break cues since they can damage the CB. We both use carbon fiber Revo shaftsmon our playing cues.

Regards,
Dave

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s Fake News.

What I might have said is that Bob doesn’t approve of phenolic-tip break cues since they can damage the CB. We both use carbon fiber Revo shaftsmon our playing cues.

Regards,
Dave

I must of remembered it wrong. Thank you for the clarification.

How are you liking it? Is a glove needed or is it smooth as a Maple shaft???