Who taught you???

Crushem9

Registered
Taught by hundreds...

My first advice came from a great player named Dennis Hunter, who was a
"technician" of stroke. Super smooth...Somewhat of a protege of Fred Fetcher's, who is probably the most unrecognized top level teacher in the country at CueSport College.

Props to Denny S for giving it up for Fred. He is in his upper 70's and plays everyday and still is a threat to win tournaments.His school is reminiscent of a billiards museum and worthy of a visit from anywhere.

For 15 years or so, no formal instruction but I learned a lot from Terry Martin ,Mike Dunklin,and Bobby Mcgrath by getting in the box and playing with them.

You cant duplicate "dollar lesson", you may discover what you are capable
of.

I gleaned every piece of information i could from magazines and played as many tournaments in reach as i could.

Also have learned bits and pieces along the way from players I have traveled with. Those in-car chats are huge !

Credit due to my former "sparring partners" Jay Schmitt and Colby Shallenbarger in which we would play sets for 6-8 hours at a time,multiple times a week.

Over time I have also learned a lot by observing the players who seemed
to always "get there" to the end. Jeff Sargent for his great attitude that seems to carry him well.

Also give a lot of credit to the weekly tournaments (R.I.P.) at Ride the Nine
where so many top notch players like IKE,Donny Branson,Mike Bandy,Mattie Mattielle ,Judex James ,and many others frequented.

Probably one the toughest weekly tournament fields in midwest. Not many pros or road players came through that field and snapped it off.Pretty good proving grounds for improvement.

A combination of valuable time spent with Mark Wilson ,Fred Fetcher and doing some instructional teaching myself helped my game in a big way.
Also have to give props to Jimmy Reid.

It's possible depending on the quality of players around you, you may learn as MUCH OR MORE informal teaching from the people around you,provided you are paying attention to the right thing.

A player def needs the required physical and mechanical required talents.

A winning spirit ,positive attitude, mental toughness and simply playing with heart and keeping your emotions in check are areas many players invest no time in improving.With the absence of these elements your not likely to get to winners circle.

Grandparents,single mothers,gymnasts,and tennis pros might be your best bet for improvement in these areas.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harry Sims was my good friend and mentor for well over a decade. I totally quit the game for about 8 years when I got a phone call to inform me that Harry had moved to St. Louis. He was so gratious to allow me to play. Here I am a total bumb at the table and a former National Champion is taking the time and having fun playing even though there was no challenge. He beat me daily something like 25-3. Finally he says you ought to let me give you some lessons. He charged $125 for 5 lessons. Gee Wiz!! Lesson #1 My bridge sucks, my stroke is all wrong, I have no rhythm, my stance is horrible, even my cue is was all wrong. A total re-tooling. It took a good 6 months before I could hit the other side of the table. Sure miss him.

I took the opportunity to travel to Denver for a 4 day clinic with Dick Jaspers and Raymond Ceulemans. What a great time and learning experience.

After Harry's death I started looking around for coaches and spent a lonnnng day with Mark Wilson who re-tooled me again. He is sooooo dedicated to his students.

Then Scott Lee spent about 5 hours with me on the 3-cushion table. What an eye opener. No re-tool here, just a ton of information on the finer points and a couple of slight refinements.

And I don't want to forget Hal Houle who taught me the basics of his aiming system. Now even I can pocket a ball should I find myself having to do that.

Other than that it's been me, books, videos and AZB.

Now I feel I'm overdue for another lesson. Maybe a trip to Vegas to meet up with Eddie Robbin or head to Madison for a, back to fundamentals session with Jerry. Got nothing else to do. My table is broke down and hardly anybody plays 3C around here anymore.:frown:

Maybe it's time to learn pool.:eek::eek:

wolfcookie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Im still learning, But 43 yrs.ago Aurther Takas that owned Texas By Takas Billards in Oak cliff Tx.Gave me my first job sweeping the floor and brushing the tables..He was my mentor..I doult any of yall heard of him but in my eyes he was the best teacher I could have had..I would say that most of you could tell the same story its the way your mentor puts his inpressions on you..Happy Trails :smile:

Das928

Banned
I was playing in hole in the wall bar and winning all kinds of beers and 2 dollar games without no training. I figured I would my skills to other bars. Thats when I ran into Rick Mathis. We became great friends for about 12 years He showed me stuff I didnt think was possible. Greatest friend anyone could have. He got killed in 2004 in a highway accident.

In 96 I joined an APA team named the "Rats". I didnt know how to spell the word defense let alone play it. I went to Vegas 4 times in 3 years.

R.I.P. Rick

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
My cousin Paul, who had a pool table in his basement when I was a kid.

A guy named James when I was a freshman in college and hanging out at the pool room far too much to maintain a 4.0. I never beat him and never saw him again after that year.

Nick Varner, a multiple time world champion and a class act. Nick gave me an amazing amount of time when I was in graduate school studying pool players memory for ball patterns.

Howard Barrett, lovable old road player who's stories were even better than his teaching. One of my fondest recollections of Mr. Howard as the locals called him, was that he would show up every Wednesday night for the weekly 9 ball tournament dragging around a bottle of Oxygen and still place in the money well into his 80's. He also used to sit with me while we would sweat the One Pocket matches at Snookers and teach me strategy and explain why the players would choose certain shots and moves over others. He really got me thinking about my game strategy.

John Amos

John was instrumental in developing my knowledge of Banks and One-Pocket. He had a gift for banking the balls and he was very kind to a young graduate student by playing with me several times a week, all of these were teaching moments. I also credit him with getting me interested in collecting custom cues.

RandyG

I had hit a plateau in my game and was considering quitting all together. My lovely wife sent me to pool school with Randy for my birthday present. I was so impressed with Randy's teachings that I later became a BCA Instructor. Randy is both my teacher, mentor, and my friend. Randy gave me a new foundation for my pool game.

Scott Lee

Scott has given me some great instruction and teaching advice over the last few years. He has always been willing to help me with my game and my teaching.

BlackJack

Through his writings and our conversations BlackJack has proven himself not only a great teacher but a good friend.

Also everyone of my students, their individual perspectives in how they approach the game gives me new ways to think about and present material.

Myk

dorkfish
Silver Member
I was taught by everyone I ever played, and everyone I ever watched play. And I'm still learning!

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was initially taught by Ray "the Rabbit" Burchard, an old hustler who took a liking to me.

After him, my education continued by walking into places like Hard Times, College Billiards, House of Billiards, California Billiards, Danny K's, and getting the tar beat out of me!!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up and learning pool in NJ in the 60's i got to see just about all the legends and learned from just watching.
An old time player Sam "one poke" Fauver gave me my first real instruction in the basics.
But i have to say playing a lot with Neptune Joe Frady in the 80's really moved my game up a couple of clicks.

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Don. What a great post. Mine are Dave "Big wave" Hemmah and pretty much everyone I have watched or played pool with. If ya don't learn somethin your not payin attention.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
still teachable

This is as said a great post ......we need more stuff like this.
My DAD would be 1st on the list who got me interested in this
game .Second would of been Keesy (Green I think was the last name)
who ran a pool room under Southern auto parts in Asheboro ,NC with
5x10 tables. As kids we would sneek in and he would let us actually crawl
up on top of the tables to make shots that we couldn't reach.At that age
they looked like a football field.After quitting for 15 yrs from age 20-35
I was living in the Atlanta area and came to the Marietta Billiard Club when
it was named The Pool Room and met Vic Bagley who is a great local
player here who has helped alot of us locals with there game.Being I still have
a very addictive nature my quest led me to Stan Shuffett that two day
course contains every thing any player on any level could hope to get ,I
suggest it to all my C and D player friends as well as the pro's .After that
course I would say the only thing holding me back is me .Tony Crosby
gave me a two hour lesson and a great drill that has helped me with CB
control . I say I am still teachable because I have ALOT to learn even when
I play well . I start off some matches playing like a Pro and lose it ....it's
painful .Also Joey A has to get a mention in this ,he talks to me alot
about mental game and clears up some things for me when I get foggy. Sorry
to be long winded I just get chocked up when I think about all the lucky
breaks I have gotten when it comes to my pool education. I even took a two
hour lesson from Earl Strickland mainly discusing CB control and spin...
it was memorable to say the least.One last thing ...I went by the Marietta
Billiard Club thursday night and what is so strange to me is all the leauge
players walking by talking about whats wrong with there game ....all the while
Kim Davenport is at the front table playing flawlessly getting ready to
head to the US open ...and they all just walk by .That's another great thing
I get to learn from while live streaming and hanging out here seeing some of
the best play patterns and defense. Long winded I know but a great thread
always be thankful if someone took time to show you this great sport played
the right way . I now have chills :dance:
Also I have to agree with Darth Jimmy Reid has the best video ever !!

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
One last thing ...I went by the Marietta
Billiard Club thursday night and what is so strange to me is all the leauge
players walking by talking about whats wrong with there game ....all the while
Kim Davenport is at the front table playing flawlessly getting ready to
head to the US open ...and they all just walk by .:

Great point. I find it amazing how many players talk about how they want to get better, but won't do the one simple thing that will make it happen...get someone to help them!

Maybe it's an ego thing, or maybe they are secretly afraid to find out there might be something they are doing wrong that is holding them back.

I was at a tournament the other night, and I heard one of the players complaining that he was playing like s***. I watched him shoot for a few minutes and the guy had absolutely some of the worst fundamentals I have ever seen. This same guy has asked me about lessons, but never signed up. I figure he would rather complain about his game than actually do something about it.

Some people just aren't interested in learning. For those who are, the opportunities are right in front of them.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...I see "that guy" all the time, all over the country. He/she usually says, "Pool lessons? I don't NEED pool lessons...I KNOW how to play pool! I need a new cue!" LMAO It's always amazing to see people throw down $500-$1000+ for a cue...but they wouldn't dream of spending a few hundred to actually learn how to effectively use it! :rolleyes::grin: Fortunately for us, there are plenty of the "smarter" poolplayers still out there!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Great point. I find it amazing how many players talk about how they want to get better, but won't do the one simple thing that will make it happen...get someone to help them!

Maybe it's an ego thing, or maybe they are secretly afraid to find out there might be something they are doing wrong that is holding them back.

I was at a tournament the other night, and I heard one of the players complaining that he was playing like s***. I watched him shoot for a few minutes and the guy had absolutely some of the worst fundamentals I have ever seen. This same guy has asked me about lessons, but never signed up. I figure he would rather complain about his game than actually do something about it.

Some people just aren't interested in learning. For those who are, the opportunities are right in front of them.

Steve

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Dale Baker from Trumansburg NY

l_7a203378327232851dbfd56f375bfb8b.jpg

Dale's Pool Room!!!!!!

l_a71a28ae180d0022064fcc956c650ed0.jpg
Entrance

l_c337a8767ffcba8835a02c221fff3690.jpg
From the back

l_7e2b6d589af8690890595bc192fb0641.jpg
Dry erase board for images and patterns and of course THE ELECTRIC CHAIRS!!!! Spent A LOT of time is these puppys :lol:

l_b29fa7e0750d4098e8aeefc25a319cea.jpg
He's collection of Hammond and Zinzola cues. My cue is the third one in from the left.

l_cee30cd7b57c4f1d54ce517b7ec6f471.jpg
Now thats what im talking about!!!!

l_bcd30381a3742e883c1a28e544147af7.jpg
Neil Hammond (Hammond cues) and Me

Last edited:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Dale was a teacher at Trumansburg high-school. Ive known Dale since i was 6 years old.

I moved away to Binghamton to play semi-professional ice hockey when i was 15. I picked up pool there in Binghamton and moved back to Trumansburg when my professioanl career in hockey didnt pan out. So being the stupid YOUNG punk (19) i was i went to challenge him. It was well known that Dale Baker from Trumansburg was the best around. Funny but i use to hang out with the NY 9-ball champion and a hand full of hustlers and pros. So ive seen BIG money games with some great players. I thought he would be a joke after witnessing what i witnessed.

I strolled up to the High School and found him in Study Hall. I walk up to him and he says..." Messy!!!....How are ya??" Yeah i got the nick name messy jesse because of my pasta stained cheeks in elementary school. :poke:

Back to the main point of the story :rolleyes: I said to him..." I hear that your the best pool player around. " His retort....." Is that a fact??? " LOL I'll never forget that! I asked him if he wanted play some down at the pool hall after school and then he's says..." Why the hell would i go to a pool hall were i cant drink or smoke when i have a 9 foot Brunswick in my house?" My jaw hit the floor and he invited me up to play after school was over. A hour later i knocked on his door and he invited me in. He leads me to the entrance (photo in original post) and says, "Welcome to Dale's Pool Hall!!" VERY nice set-up indeed!! I ask him to play one-pocket and he stomps me 8 to -2.

"Alright lets play a race to 9 in 9-ball!!" I rack em and lose 9-3. The whole time im getting beat i chalk it up to him getting lucky rolls...Bad rolls for me etc etc. So after the lastest thrasing he ask me what i wanted to play next. I think i have em now and i say, "Straight POOL!!!" He replies, "NOW your talking...." At this very moment i felt all the blood rush out of my head down to my stomach and i KNEW i was in trouble. I did the opening break and left him a very long shot on the 5 in the lower left corner. He bares down and rocks it straight into the heart of the pocket and the cue hits the end rail and CLICKS open the rack. All the balls spread out perfectly. He then weaved the cue ball through the rack time and time again. The next time i got to the table (45 minutes) the scores was 92-0!!!! My goal at that point was just to make it look respectful :help: I ended up losing 150-38. He looked at me and said...."Jesse.....You got thrashed!!" We have a saying in his room. If you beat your opponent by more than half your got THRASHED!! If you just plain lose than you got your A** kicked.

He told me that i had the eye and some knowledge and understanding of teh game so he offered to teach me. He has nobody to play out there in the sticks and for me to challenge him was enough of a payment i guess. So of course i leapt at it. I mean he does TEACH for a living right?? For the next 2 years i went over to play almost everyday.

I only beat him once at any game in those two years and that game was straight pool. I won 150-145. It was close but after it was over i looked over to him and said...."Dale......It looks like you got your A** kick!!" He smile and laugh and said...."Well it sure looks that way doesnt it!!" We both laugh and i gave him a big hug. It was the last day before i moved to SF and it filled me with a great sense of accomplishment and happiness to know i was ready to be out on my own :thumbup2:

I cant wait to go back home to play him. I am forever grateful to know that he made me the player i am today and that there is nothign i can do to fully repay him. Thats why i teach now. It makes me happy to see people get better and smile when the hit that shot perfectly. I do have a saying for my students.....

"The true pleasure i get from teaching pool is when i see the smile, The smile only happens when they KNOW that they didnt just hit the shot great but PERFECTLY" It makes me proud tbh.

If anybody on here from central NY would like a chance to play Dale please send me a PM. Im sure he would like to have some new challengers up to his place. I will forewarn you......You better bring your A game or be pre-paired to get THRASED!!!! LOL

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
I've had a few people show me some things here and there, but nobody that I would really consider a teacher. I took one lesson to get an idea of a few things, but I can't afford to spend my money on more lessons. I just shoot at the bar and in league and try to figure things out for myself, of course I still pay attention to other players and like to pick things up from them when I can. I'm not too shabby at strategery, banking and getting good hits from almost anywhere, it's just my shooting that needs help. I always wanted to get lessons from Atwell, but now I'll just work my way up to playing him!

And now it's time for Sunday's free pool at the bar! :grin:

phishman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pop White in Terre Haute, In. An old road player that eyes went bad later in life but still could shoot even tho damn near blind. Later "The Glove" and the "Bread Man" (both Hustlers from the old school) in Indy that taught me patience and not to drink while playing.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Phil Capelle
Ray Martin
Don Feeney
Jimmy Reid
Tom Rossman
Grady
Bert Kinister
Joe Tucker
Tim Miller (The Monk)'
Johnny Archer
Earl Strickland
I have taken something useful from every book I read, video I watch, and lessons I have taken. Some offer more than others, but all offer something to someone.
Mark