Uncrowned Champion

MisterG

Uncrowned Champion

Jimmy Mataya began winning major tournaments in pocket billiards in 1967 at the age of 17 while he was still in high school. How many other players have ever done that? His accomplishments include the following:

• 1967: Michigan – Motor City Open Straight Pool winner
• 1970: Johnson City, IL - World Straight Pool Championship – high run honors, 125 and out in a 125 point match
• 1971: Los Angeles - World Straight Pool Championship – high run honors, 125 and out in a 125 point match (perfect run-outs 2 years in a row in a world tournament has never repeated by another player)
• 1971: Los Angeles – World 9-Ball Championship winner
• 1972: Las Vegas – World 9-Ball Championship winner (youngest ever back to back titles at the age of 22)
• 1972: Las Vegas – Stardust World’s All-Around Championship winner (played in the finals of 3 All-Around Championships and won 2)
• 1976: Albuquerque – 8-Ball Championship winner
• 1976: Albuquerque – Tournament of Champions All-Around winner
• 1977: Dayton, OH – 8-Ball Championship winner (youngest ever back to back titles at the age of 27)
• 1978: - Pro-Celebrity Tournament winner
• 1982: New York City - World Straight Pool Championship – high run honors
• Played in 2 World Pro-Am’s, won one in 1988 in New York
• Voted the best masse player in the game and one of the best commentator in the game by pool magazines
• Appeared in two motion pictures – Baltimore Bullet, The Color of Money – and one T.V. series – Vegas
• One of only two players ever to be interviewed by Playboy Magazine – 1980 (Ronnie Allen was interviewed in 1970)
• Only husband/wife team with Ewa to ever both win world titles

In 1993, Mataya walked away from pool at the age of 43 for reasons unknown. Considering the facts outlined above, it is beyond imagination that he has never been inducted into the Pocket Billiards Hall of Fame. Because of his many successes and achievements, it could be even said that Mataya merits a biography written about his life.
There are so many accomplished players, Rempe, Sigel Hall, Varner, Hopkins, Strickland, and Reyes, etc., who have rightfully been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but not one of them won a world title before Mataya did. It is clear that the motivation of the B.C.A. Hall of Fame Committee is political; otherwise this would not be an issue. In short, it is shameful!!! Charlie G Billiard fan 65 years

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uncrowned Champion

Jimmy Mataya began winning major tournaments in pocket billiards in 1967 at the age of 17 while he was still in high school. How many other players have ever done that? His accomplishments include the following:

• 1970: Johnson City, IL - World Straight Pool Championship – high run honors, 125 and out in a 125 point match
• 1971: Los Angeles - World Straight Pool Championship – high run honors, 125 and out in a 125 point match (perfect run-outs 2 years in a row in a world tournament has never repeated by another player)
• 1972: Las Vegas – World 9-Ball Championship winner (youngest ever back to back titles at the age of 22)
• 1972: Las Vegas – Stardust World’s All-Around Championship winner (played in the finals of 3 All-Around Championships and won 2)
• 1977: Dayton, OH – 8-Ball Championship winner (youngest ever back to back titles at the age of 27)
• Voted the best masse player in the game and one of the best commentator in the game by pool magazines
• Appeared in two motion pictures – Baltimore Bullet, The Color of Money – and one T.V. series – Vegas
• One of only two players ever to be interviewed by Playboy Magazine – 1980 (Ronnie Allen was interviewed in 1970)

In 1993, Mataya walked away from pool at the age of 43 for reasons unknown. Considering the facts outlined above, it is beyond imagination that he has never been inducted into the Pocket Billiards Hall of Fame. Because of his many successes and achievements, it could be even said that Mataya merits a biography written about his life.
There are so many accomplished players, Rempe, Sigel Hall, Varner, Hopkins, Strickland, and Reyes, etc., who have rightfully been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but not one of them won a world title before Mataya did. It is clear that the motivation of the B.C.A. Hall of Fame Committee is political; otherwise this would not be an issue. In short, it is shameful!!!

I agree with you Floyd.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
How come he's not in the Hall of Fame? I personally don't know him, but maybe this explains it:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=3098

Here are a few excerpts:

Originally Posted by tjmckinn
Does anyone know what Jim Mataya is doing these days?

Travis McKinney

Travis, You might regret asking that question after you read my reply >>> I don't know what else Jimmy Mataya is doing these days, but i know what he was doing at Derby City 2 weeks ago throughout the whole tournament - and it was unfortunate and pathetic for all concerned >>> He was being mega-loud and mega-obnoxious : He was constantly disrupting peoples gambling sessions by woofing about matchups that he had no intention to play, and saying stuff like "30 years ago you could all get the 7 ball" - And amazingly, he would constantly yell these things 100 feet across the whole tournament room while matches were being played - He was out of control and Scott Smith couldn't/didn't control him - He was doing this yelling one night during the late rounds of the one pocket, and Leil Gay was getting sharked by it (as were other players) while in a tough match against Santos - Leil was very pissed off and after seeing that Scott Smith couldn't/wouldn't make J.Mataya shut up, Leil was the only player who stood up to 'Pretty Boy The Legend', and told him to SHUT THE FU#* UP - it didn't work though, J.M. just kept woofing and yelling.....The Ghost reporting, from the darker side, of the Great, and someday Legendary, Derby City Jamboree.

2-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG-in-KY
I attended the Derby City Classic and I observed Mataya's act. I have been to tournaments for twenty years, (including 5 Derby's) and it was positively,without doubt the funniest thing I have ever seen in pool! I am sorry if he sharked others, but if you don't think a lot of these pros don't shark and pull moves on each other then you are misinformed. I know this is probably not the consensus but I for one think he was a breath of fresh air. Just my opinion.
Jimmy Mataya is a great example of the reason why pool will never be accepted as a legitimate sport. Jimmy is not a "breath of fresh air", IMO he is nothing more than a maggot. He was running around making an ass of himself (along with his brother) the whole week at the DCC. Who in the corporate world would want to sponsor pool with this kind of behavior taking place at a major tournament? Pool does not need the likes of Jimmy Mataya continuing to uphold it’s shading reputation. It does need people like Johnny Archer and Ralph Souguet who are trying to change the “smoky dark poolroom� image that the sport has at the present time. These two gentlemen conduct themselves like true professional athletes. You never see them running around a tournament wolfing, cussing, and causing a screen. The DCC is a great event for people who know the game, and have been around the game for a while. It is not the kind of event that is going to elevate pool to the next level. This is just my opinion of course. I think it is time for me to start a new thread.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
he pillaged CHI for more than a minute in the early 70's...NOBODY liked it

GREAT player on any table

his personal demons should NOT prevent his rightful induction into the HOF esp in view of the era when he competed....players between the ages of 65 and 80 know what i'm talking about

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Uncrowned Champion

There are so many accomplished players, Rempe, Sigel Hall, Varner, Hopkins, Strickland, and Reyes, etc., who have rightfully been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but not one of them won a world title before Mataya did. It is clear that the motivation of the B.C.A. Hall of Fame Committee is political; otherwise this would not be an issue. In short, it is shameful!!! Charlie G Billiard fan 65 years
" Pretty sure-
Playboy interviewed LARRY LISCOTTI,
Possibly Eddie Taylor too "

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC Jimmy also took home a LOT of $$$ from the famous/infamous Rack in Detroit. Guy could really play in his day. He can be a "tad" off-the-air at times to say the least but hey, pool is full of one-off's like Mataya. I like him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The man seems to be cut from a mold that was tossed out decades ago, a Fats mimicker.

We had similar personalities in the pool room I grew up in and while entertaining at times, I didnt have much appreciation for the bully role.

He could play though, no doubt. A lotta people could play.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Different levels

Jimmy has several gears, not his skill level at pool but his talking/commentating abilities.
I have listened to Mataya for years help commentate matches and tournaments and I have heard different levels of showmanship from Jimmy.

There is the medium JM where he is fun to listen to and has good advice on most shots that the players are dealing with.

There is the out of control JM where he is fun to listen to but he is abrasive and loud, Talking crap about anyone and everyone, funny one liners keep on coming round and round.

Then there is a slightly more subdued/serious JM where he is fun to listen to but seems much quieter, with out all the bragging and hoopla.

I agree with Black-Balled, very Fats-like.

I know that Danny D and Pretty Boy Floyd are not everybody's cup of tea but I will always listen to these throwbacks, champions from a different era. Its kinda like collecting vintage pool cues.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Uncrowned Champion

I agree with you on most things, but there at least three if not more BCA Hall of Fame Committee members on AZBilliards. And I've been on the 5-man Veterans Committee for the last several years (Veterans is every other year). There's nothing politically motivated about the process. That being said, I will push for Mataya at the next Veterans Committee meeting. But we have other very worthy candidates as well, and everyone has their own thoughts on who should be eligible.

Freddie <~~~ let's go, Floyd!

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy has several gears, not his skill level at pool but his talking/commentating abilities.
I have listened to Mataya for years help commentate matches and tournaments and I have heard different levels of showmanship from Jimmy.

There is the medium JM where he is fun to listen to and has good advice on most shots that the players are dealing with.

There is the out of control JM where he is fun to listen to but he is abrasive and loud, Talking crap about anyone and everyone, funny one liners keep on coming round and round.

Then there is a slightly more subdued/serious JM where he is fun to listen to but seems much quieter, with out all the bragging and hoopla.

I agree with Black-Balled, very Fats-like.

I know that Danny D and Pretty Boy Floyd are not everybody's cup of tea but I will always listen to these throwbacks, champions from a different era. Its kinda like collecting vintage pool cues.
I'll admit I don't know much about the guy, but have been surprised how professionally he could commentate on one hand, and then hear the stories from the DCC as posted in this thread, in addition to some of the excerpts from the Playing Off the Rail book.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the late 80s I was in the practice room at the All Star Open in Lexington Ky

and Mataya came in woofing at everyone about playing some one pocket when

a 17 year old Shannon Daulton stepped up and said he would play him some.

Jimmy came back with 200 a game and Shannon said let's make 400. Then

Jimmy came back with 'now that we got the bet right, let's get the game right,

how much weight do you need?' At this Shannon said 'I don't need any f'n

weight, just get your a** up to the table and play'.

Shannon being Shannon wouldn't let him go and ended up chasing Jimmy out

of the room trying to get him to the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave up on Jimmy after his pool videos came out. “Secrets of a Pool Hustler” was pretty bad.
A lot of the blame for this trainwreck goes to the producers. Some idiot wrote a script for this and i seriously doubt it was Mataya. This isn't the only "play pool like me" video that is horrible.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy has a dual personality. The Jimmy Mataya that I know can be very thoughtful and intelligent. He is strong willed and full of confidence in his own abilities. He played some great pool in his day and backed down from no one.

Then there is the "Pretty Boy Floyd" personna that he puts on for the world to see. Floyd can be an obnoxious loudmouth with little consideration for others. I don't care for Floyd, but Jimmy remains a dear friend to me. I think an abundance of alcohol is the key that spurs Floyd to raise his ugly head.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Jimmy has a dual personality. The Jimmy Mataya that I know can be very thoughtful and intelligent. He is strong willed and full of confidence in his own abilities. He played some great pool in his day and backed down from no one.

Then there is the "Pretty Boy Floyd" personna that he puts on for the world to see. Floyd can be an obnoxious loudmouth with little consideration for others. I don't care for Floyd, but Jimmy remains a dear friend to me. I think an abundance of alcohol is the key that spurs Floyd to raise his ugly head.

Thumbs up or thumbs down with regards to HOF?

I'm a strong "up" based on what he did prior to....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hear, hear, and well said.

The pool purists are going to hate the Floyd persona, but I also know another side of Jimmy. He's a dear friend of Keith's, and the two of them together spells fun.

Jimmy Mataya can tell a good pool tale or two. I could have listened to him for hours. If Keith had made it to the semifinals at the IPT in Vegas one year, he chose Jimmy to be his cornerman. Jimmy was so honored that Keith wanted him. You could see it meant a lot to him. He wanted so much to be part of the pool festivities at the event. As it turned out, Keith didn't make it to the semifinals, but it didn't stop the two of them from hanging out.

One night at dinner, another young pro player from Ohio came up to me and asked me if I would introduce him to Jimmy Mataya. He saw us sitting together. He just had a lot of respect for him and wanted to meet him.

I created his Wikipedia page many years ago, but I can see it needs a lot of updating. When time allows, I'm going to do it in hopes it will help him be up for consideration for BCA's Hall of Fame. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Mataya

The problem, if I may call it that, with today's BCA's Hall of Fame is that a lot of the folks now have no idea who Jimmy Mataya is or how strong a player he was at one time, including me. I didn't know him in his prime or see him compete.

Here's a couple photos I took of him. He definitely has that million-dollar smile! :smile:

Attachments

• IPT-NA Venetian in Vegas 102 (1).JPG
    IPT-NA Venetian in Vegas 102 (1).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 559
  • Matayaat2003GCO.JPG
    Matayaat2003GCO.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 839
Last edited: