Mosconi Cup Unpicked Players Bail Out

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I hear the Mosconi cup players who were not picked have now bailed out on the team. All of the people interviewed as potential players were asked if you are chosen to be in the potential group but are not on the final team will you still support the team and stick with it so the team can stay together. They all said yes but now they are all backing out.

Mark Wilson and Matchroom had arranged for them to be involved with active roles and it would have added a lot to our efforts. They would have been there for support and to show a totally united team America to the world. Some people in the pool world knocked the thought and the titles or roles they would have played such as coach or assistant. Whatever the team would have been more with them involved.

They would have had their expenses paid and also been paid a decent sum of money paid to them with it increasing if the team won. This expense and player payment was raised with effort by Mark Wilson. We would have had a much larger contingent in a tough environment where it will be very loud and almost all pro Europe.

So I wonder what will OSCAR DOMINGUEZ, JEREMY SOSSEI, BRANDON SHUFF be doing that is so time consuming where they do not have the schedule or perhaps the backbone to support the team if they are not actually playing. To finish what they started. Why did they not do what they said they would do, stick with the team and show some solidarity.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting,..sort of.

I am sure they all have their reasons: from love to hate and everything in between.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On last week's ABR Oscar said part of the reason was that the playing team members had agreed to give 10 or 20% of their winnings to the non-playing teammates, and he didn't feel right about taking their money. It would be only human to be a little bitter about it though, too.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it hard to believe that the 3 players who were not picked were expected to hang around for solidarity. They didn't make the team, for whatever reason. Time to move on. For what its worth, if I were one of those three players, next year I'd tell Mr. Wilson not to bother including me, since in at least one case, it didn't seem to matter whether you even played a tournament or not.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
That's a tough situation. They are players and they want to play. There is also a matter of ego that I also completely understand especially with Oscar. I don't know what happened so I'm not going to judge they're decisions . I'm sure they feel pretty bummed about it

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Gotta give Coach Wilson and Matchroom a lot of credit for making it possible for the "Unchosen 3" to attend, but have to respect the right of each of them to forgo the trip if they don't wish to make it. I don't think their absence will have any effect on the team's chances, and I'm sure all of the "Mosconi 8" feel the same.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
who will fill the extremely important roles of these 3 at the Mosconi Cup now? who will be there to coach Shane and Corey on their break? USA is doomed now.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Yep

Gotta give Coach Wilson and Matchroom a lot of credit for making it possible for the "Unchosen 3" to attend, but have to respect the right of each of them to forgo the trip if they don't wish to make it. I don't think their absence will have any effect on the team's chances, and I'm sure all of the "Mosconi 8" feel the same.

They all talked the teamwork shit until they didn't get picked. Not all players on teams in most sports get to play...that is what a team is. The US players still don't get it. Best of luck to the five that are playing. For the three that opted out...grow a pair!

Wedge

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if you don't get picked then you go home and do your thing. I don't blame them for not sticking around...I wouldn't. If you're Team USA you either have it or you don't...the Europeans don't worry about it because winning is a mind set they don't need a moral support staff.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They all talked the teamwork shit until they didn't get picked. Not all players on teams in most sports get to play...that is what a team is. The US players still don't get it. Best of luck to the five that are playing. For the three that opted out...grow a pair!

Wedge

The "unchosen three" are no more members of this team than baseball players cut in spring training are members of their teams. Do you have a problem with baseball players who don't travel to games with the team that cut them?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if you don't get picked then you go home and do your thing. I don't blame them for not sticking around...I wouldn't. If you're Team USA you either have it or you don't...the Europeans don't worry about it because winning is a mind set they don't need a moral support staff.

If it was paid expenses who wouldn't want to go to that venue ,just to watch people are paying thousands to do just that ,, bad move on their part IMHO

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
The losing team gets 20k correct? And the three not picked get 10% of that which is $2000x3= $6000 So the remaining 5 players plus at LEAST Mark Wilson as non playing coach have to split the remaining $12,000...That doesn't add up to me either...I didn't like that they were going to do that from the very beginning.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pure stupid...

The 3 that were not selected had a shot at seeing front row what it's like dealing with the Euros and they declined? Those 3 would move to the very back of the line next year regardless of the selection criteria.....

Seasoning doesn't have to be directly in the fire.. It can just be from being in the oven....

Chris

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If it were me I would go no matter what. Getting a chance to go abroad and help a team from my country would be a great opportunity. Yes it is still second best but second best is not so bad.
Having the experience of being a part of the Mosconi cup would certainly be an advantage down the road for these guys whether they get to play with the team or not.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3 that were not selected had a shot at seeing front row what it's like dealing with the Euros and they declined? Those 3 would move to the very back of the line next year regardless of the selection criteria.....

Seasoning doesn't have to be directly in the fire.. It can just be from being in the oven....

Chris

Ya I just don't get it, it's not like these guys are sacrificing big pay checks to go , thier second teir players at best

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
OK I hear the Mosconi cup players who were not picked have now bailed out on the team. All of the people interviewed as potential players were asked if you are chosen to be in the potential group but are not on the final team will you still support the team and stick with it so the team can stay together. They all said yes but now they are all backing out.

Mark Wilson and Matchroom had arranged for them to be involved with active roles and it would have added a lot to our efforts. They would have been there for support and to show a totally united team America to the world. Some people in the pool world knocked the thought and the titles or roles they would have played such as coach or assistant. Whatever the team would have been more with them involved.

They would have had their expenses paid and also been paid a decent sum of money paid to them with it increasing if the team won. This expense and player payment was raised with effort by Mark Wilson. We would have had a much larger contingent in a tough environment where it will be very loud and almost all pro Europe.

So I wonder what will OSCAR DOMINGUEZ, JEREMY SOSSEI, BRANDON SHUFF be doing that is so time consuming where they do not have the schedule or perhaps the backbone to support the team if they are not actually playing. To finish what they started. Why did they not do what they said they would do, stick with the team and show some solidarity.
To answer this question. The trip would be "charity" and knowing one of the guys well. I can tell you he ain't no charity case!

The job titles they created to mask the charity is laughable! Splitting the money 8 ways when only 5 earn it, is again charity!

These guys are too proud for charity!!! Just my two cents.

Given that you don't know these guys or the situation, don't you think coming on here publicly trashing them for a personal decision you don't like is "wrong" and you owe them an apology. IMO

Kd

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me I would go no matter what. Getting a chance to go abroad and help a team from my country would be a great opportunity. Yes it is still second best but second best is not so bad.
Having the experience of being a part of the Mosconi cup would certainly be an advantage down the road for these guys whether they get to play with the team or not.

It's a no brainer but then again pool players aren't known for their good decisions