Pool's Deepest Level of Competition - Learning From Defeat, and Our Own Negativity

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you think of competition, who are we actually competing against, "us or them"?

How do we learn from defeat? From victory?

Are they not both essential for growth, maturity and the understanding of our true natures in life, and in the game?

For those looking for the secrets to understanding competition at the deeper levels try processing this - "when we know and accept ourselves there are no defeats in life" - When we don't "own up" to the negativity in ourselves, the negativity will own us.

"Own it, or it will own you" - Unknown

If we are really part of the same whole, then can there really be "good parts and bad parts," or are all parts necessary?

Can we possibly know good without knowing evil, can we know love without knowing fear, can we know victory without knowing defeat? It's a paradox sometimes isn't it?

Many of us are so disconnected from internal negativity that we can only see it's reflection.....through other people. 'The Game is the Teacher'

10984621_1094363743922994_7120429369859170913_n.jpg

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The writer Anais Nin -- well known for the work products (writings) stemming from her exceptionally skillful ability at wide-ranging introspection, put the matter perfectly some years ago:

"We don't see things as they are; we see them as *we* are."

Arnaldo

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently reading "Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of pocket Billiards" by Dr. Bob Fancher...

Page 42 :

"Sometimes the truth in your negative thoughts has to be teased out of excessive pessimism, but even here you need to face the truth and decide on a constructive response....
...negative thoughts contain information you need to take seriously. you can use this information to steady yourself, by thinking, 'That's true--which is all the more reason to settle down, take my time, and concentrate.'.....
... The idea that you don't need a lot of negative thoughts distracting you from your play is correct, but the idea of putting such thoughts out of your mind helps anything, is just wrong. You deal with negative thoughts by addressing them. A question answered is a question laid to rest. A question ignored is a constant irritant."

So if our own negativity teaches us if we learn to listen to it and confront it, can a player be overly positive to a point where they stall mentally in learning? What's an example of this in pool?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"we are not in the world, the world is in us".

The writer Anais Nin -- well known for the work products (writings) stemming from her exceptionally skillful ability at wide-ranging introspection, put the matter perfectly some years ago:

"We don't see things as they are; we see them as *we* are."

Arnaldo

That's a good way of putting it.

What many of us fail to "real eyes" is "we are not in the world, the world is in us".

'The Game of Reality is the Teacher'

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
there's certainly some "deep" issues needing to be resolved

The hunger pangs in my stomach are a reflection of that donut I'm about to eat. :thumbup:

If you're eating donuts there's certainly some "deep" issues needing to be resolved. ;) LoL

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Reflection of the Subconscious Mine on the Your Inner Progamming

The conscious mind is at the mercy (for the most part) of the subconscious mind. Under the level of "thinking" lurks our beliefs, our concepts and our self defense mechanisms that deal with security and social interaction....it also controls any issues we are having and there's no way to stop it by "figuring it out" because the problem centers in the minds, the "subconscious, and the conscious".

We have on the average of 30k to 50,000 thoughts a day between the two "minds"....this leads to all kinds of possible behaviours, emotions/feelings, and even delusions.....it's very often from a balance issue, your mental "self" get's out of sync.

The way to improve you conscious contact with your mental self and the "inner world" is to address the problem at it's source.....connecting the subconscious mind to the conscious mind in a useful, more effective way. This requires periods of "non thinking"......it's somewhat of a paradox - "to improve our thinking we must not think"

This is done through meditation and prayer (which is a form of meditation).....it doesn't matter if someone is atheist, agnostic or a believer (it's a reality, not a religion) , they must at least be willing to believe in a Power higher than their conscious thinking to make any progress. Once someone is "willing to believe" then the door is opened to the process of higher thinking.

I recommend ANAPANA Meditation***, it's a simple way to meditate, where the person observes their breathing at the source, their very own thoughts....."observing" the thoughts is very important in this process....of course this is much easier said than done, the more we think about something the less chance we have of actually doing it.

'The Game is the Inner Teacher' www.cjwiley.com

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over the next few weeks I'm going to share what I've learned about competition

This thread had to do with my "secret" to winning, which is to accept losing before the match or tournament. This is considered negative by some players, however, I've found this technique to be a great release from pressure.

If I'm ever going to let my mind process losing, I'd prefer it's before I start, not when it's "hill/hill" against a formidable opponent like Johnny Archer or Earl Strickland. One sign of weakness and they pounce, and believe me, at this point it's probably too late! grin emoticon

I've found this is true for any aspect of competing, to bring out our positive characteristics we must first be willing to identify, confront and accept the opposites. It's the "love vs hate," the "light vs darkness", "fear vs courage" - it's especially the myself vs my opponent in competition.

Which brings me to another point that's noteworthy - I suggest we don't wish negative vibes, or unlucky rolls on our opponents - I've found if I process "bad" things against people I'm playing, (especially if they are negative), saps energy that may soon be vital.

Before a match I'll usually say "good luck" or "play well," and I try to mean it. I've found the more willing I am for my opponent to do well, the more confident my mind focuses, in regards to a positive outcome on each and every shot, stroke, or situation.

When I first came back from an 8 year sabbatical from the game these principles had to be re-learned. My mind was not conditioned to compete, basically I forgot how, which made it very difficult to win.....not over my opponents necessarily, in regards to myself.

This has improved over the last year requiring substantial time, energy and dedication. It's still tempting to slip back sometimes, if my expectations aren't realistic. Johnny Archer and I talked about this in London at the Mosconi Cup, he said lowering his expectations before a match or tournament helped him to become "The Player of the 90s".

Over the next few weeks I'm going to share what I've learned about competition, myself, and the game. In doing so there may be issues I address that go against what's commonly taught or thought - I suggest you "put it on the shelf" of your mind, it may prove to be useful one day. There is an evolutionary process to understanding, things that make sense now may not have meant the same thing years, weeks, or even days ago.

For me, the game may be pool, for you it can be any other unique quality that you possess, or want to accel at, - whether it's business, sports, education, parenting, relationships, or anything else that can be an analogy to pocket billiards or a "game".

'The Game is the Teacher'

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently reading "Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of pocket Billiards" by Dr. Bob Fancher...

Page 42 :

"Sometimes the truth in your negative thoughts has to be teased out of excessive pessimism, but even here you need to face the truth and decide on a constructive response....
...negative thoughts contain information you need to take seriously. you can use this information to steady yourself, by thinking, 'That's true--which is all the more reason to settle down, take my time, and concentrate.'.....
... The idea that you don't need a lot of negative thoughts distracting you from your play is correct, but the idea of putting such thoughts out of your mind helps anything, is just wrong. You deal with negative thoughts by addressing them. A question answered is a question laid to rest. A question ignored is a constant irritant."

So if our own negativity teaches us if we learn to listen to it and confront it, can a player be overly positive to a point where they stall mentally in learning? What's an example of this in pool?

Being distracted but shooting anyway. Bad idea. Much better to stand back up and address the issue then regain your focus and runout. :)

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
This thread had to do with my "secret" to winning, which is to accept losing before the match or tournament. This is considered negative by some players, however, I've found this technique to be a great'

The way of the Samurai, accept death before battle, it clears the mind to focus on the task at hand instead of the outcome. Very wise, very wise indeed.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always had the idea that the best way to learn from your mistakes, is to record everything. I have had a camera running for nearly all sports and activities that I have been involved in. You missed a shot and became angry? Watch the footage and you will laugh at how stupid you were for getting angry.

There is no greater tool than the ability to look at yourself from a third person perspective.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The unconscious records everything. Over analysis leads to paralysis. Once again, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take your pool gaffes with good humor and move on. Simple as that.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this thread.
C.J is talking things what really matters to learn competitive pool.
I remember battling with these subjects and learning from them when I was still competing.
I was without playing some years and without competing at all somewhat 5-6 years and I've lost these skills what C.J talk here.
I know I just need enter enough competitions to get it back but.. Dunno if my rheumatism let me.
I'm planning to go Finnish Championships in two weeks because I had good 6 months.
Now I'm laying on bed and my back hurt so much I can't get up..
I'm just hoping it's getting better and fast.. :(

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread had to do with my "secret" to winning, which is to accept losing before the match or tournament. This is considered negative by some players, however, I've found this technique to be a great release from pressure.

....... Johnny Archer and I talked about this in London at the Mosconi Cup, he said lowering his expectations before a match or tournament helped him to become "The Player of the 90s".........

Don't lower your expectations.
Surrender your expectations.

Free your mind :cool:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Surrender is one of the most challenging and courageous things we can do

Don't lower your expectations.
Surrender your expectations.

Free your mind :cool:

"blessed are those that have no expectations, for they shall never be disappointed"

Surrender is one of the most challenging and courageous things we can do in competition.

It takes practice........

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toughest thing to do is , one thing at a time. The only thing that really matters is now. The past is gone and the future is uncertain. What is before you is the only thing that you can control. Hard thing to get a handle on at times,,but that's about it

2strong4u

Banned
In pool it can be difficult to see where your ownership in losing lies. If a guy breaks and runs a couple 3 packs in a race to 7 to win it can still be your fault for letting him to the table. After a loss I have learned the benefits of looking at it objectively. Mostly your poor safety play or taking risks in being too offensive is why your opponent had more opportunities. Pool is a game of opportunities for opportunists. You have to create your own opportunity to excel improve and win. To do it you need the skills. If you fail to practice you practice to fail.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toughest thing to do is , one thing at a time. The only thing that really matters is now. The past is gone and the future is uncertain. What is before you is the only thing that you can control. Hard thing to get a handle on at times,,but that's about it

Or as the monk says if you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present. Lol

Truthfully this hits home right now. Thanks for the insight Cj. Mentally recently I feel I lost my way and needed a reminder of what playing pool at a high level mentally is all about.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In pool it can be difficult to see where your ownership in losing lies. If a guy breaks and runs a couple 3 packs in a race to 7 to win it can still be your fault for letting him to the table. After a loss I have learned the benefits of looking at it objectively. Mostly your poor safety play or taking risks in being too offensive is why your opponent had more opportunities. Pool is a game of opportunities for opportunists. You have to create your own opportunity to excel improve and win. To do it you need the skills. If you fail to practice you practice to fail.

I took ownership for losing in an 8 ball charity tournament once. It was a race to 2, double elimination, winner breaks. I lost the coin toss and the opponent broke and ran 2 racks to put me on the loser side. I lost the coin toss and the opponent broke and ran 2 racks and eliminated me.

I never got to the table. I took ownership for losing by realizing I had dogged the coin toss twice.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took ownership for losing in an 8 ball charity tournament once. It was a race to 2, double elimination, winner breaks. I lost the coin toss and the opponent broke and ran 2 racks to put me on the loser side. I lost the coin toss and the opponent broke and ran 2 racks and eliminated me.

I never got to the table. I took ownership for losing by realizing I had dogged the coin toss twice.

I had something similar happen to me. Drove over an hour to a charity pool tournament with a buddy. First round was a single game. I drew my buddy in the first round, lost the coin flip, and he ran the table. I never even got to hit a ball. I had to laugh. Oh well. It was for a good cause.