Banking off the end rail into the side

9BallPaul

Banned
Made a shot last night that I've never attempted. Cueball was frozen to the object ball such that the only plausible shot was to impart english, go off the end rail and pray it would drop in the side.

And it did. Yet still, I've never seen a skilled player try to bank into the side off the end rail. Have I been missing something?

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
I do that all of the time. Except I'm always making the cue ball that way.:mad:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I do that all of the time. Except I'm always making the cue ball that way.:mad:

Ha! Me too :eek:

I actually tried that shot a couple of nights ago and almost made it. It was the only option I had. I'm quite sure I've seen one of my friends do it a couple of times before. I don't think it's that rare. Certainly not an everyday thing, either, I suppose...

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Same here but I scratch most of the time or jump the CB off the table. Bummer.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Yet still, I've never seen a skilled player try to bank into the side off the end rail. Have I been missing something?

A local legend (Willie Simpson) that plays on base here considers that a viable option "if it feels right". Like any other shot it requires practice and confidence. A table with consistent rails helps too :p

I know he's played it on me a few times and I didn't appreciate it lol.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not seen much, but I shoot that bank alot. Just stay outside the 23 degree mark off the end rail. It's really nice when you play it two rails off the side rail first! Bank On Brother, Freddy is the reason I have any clue about these banks BTW!
Dan

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Banking into the side from the end rail makes for a very small target, and a chance of sell out if missed.

Sometimes it can be played as a two way shot, but not that often. It's just a low percentage shot. And, whether it gets played or not really depends on the layout of the balls.
agreed...useful especially in instances where one seeks to leave the CB on the rail that OB is coming off.

The sell-out is on...those points do funny things and the speed used dictates the OB isn't going too far from that side pocket.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Made a shot last night that I've never attempted. Cueball was frozen to the object ball such that the only plausible shot was to impart english, go off the end rail and pray it would drop in the side.

And it did. Yet still, I've never seen a skilled player try to bank into the side off the end rail. Have I been missing something?

You have missed something Paul. If you ever attended Derby City during the Bank Pool event, you would see that same bank attempted many times and made frequently. It's a good option to try to make this shot and play safe at the same time. If you make it, you must now play a safety. If you miss it, you have already played safe.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
It's especially viable when the table rolls toward that side. Hit it slow and short angle and watch it curve right in there.

Yeah, I play on a lot of crappy tables.

-s

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used this shot several times when there was no other option to some pretty good success. During one match I had a break and run but due to the layout couldn't get the position I needed on the 8 and ended up with the 8 on the end rail and the CB in the middle of the table. I did this shot and played it a hair too soft. 8b stopped 1/2" from the hole. It's a great shot to learn...and not as hard as you think.

9BallPaul

Banned
You have missed something Paul. If you ever attended Derby City during the Bank Pool event, you would see that same bank attempted many times and made frequently. It's a good option to try to make this shot and play safe at the same time. If you make it, you must now play a safety. If you miss it, you have already played safe.

Thanks Jay. All of my Derby visits have been skedded around the 9-ball tournament, so I've never watched a good game of bank pool. I'll have to give it a good watch some day.

As for banking into the side, I'm gonna start practicing it for special occasions.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I consider that a normal shot in Bar League 8-Ball,
and have made it a good percentage of the time.

The Side Pockets are usually HUGE on Bar Tables, which
helps immensely when attempting the shot.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
In Japan, we play a ring game where the side pockets pay double, sometimes this shot comes up and is worth the risk if the cut on a money ball doesn't go and the corner bank looks too tough to attempt for 1 point.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Banks it comes up regularly, like Jay said you see it quite a bit in that game. It's a pocket speed shot.

Last edited:

Driller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider that a normal shot in Bar League 8-Ball,
and have made it a good percentage of the time.

The Side Pockets are usually HUGE on Bar Tables, which
helps immensely when attempting the shot.

Actually bar tables usually have tighter side pockets on the ones that I have played on. But the corners are buckets.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Japan, we play a ring game where the side pockets pay double, sometimes this shot comes up and is worth the risk if the cut on a money ball doesn't go and the corner bank looks too tough to attempt for 1 point.

"Goku shimasuka?" "Te sen onegaishimasu"
dave