Resources to teach jumping

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used the search function, but maybe used the wrong words to get what I wanted. I would like to learn to jump the cue ball. Does anyone have good resources on how to do that? Videos, articles, etc.? Thanks for the help.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Here's another... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx28lpJgwEc

The thing to focus on after you understand the basics is to aim the jump cue through (or just slightly below) the core of the cue ball.

The "core" of the cue ball is an imaginary small dot in the very center of the cue ball.

Remember... Align the jump cue with the core.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Robin Dodson posted here recently that she was making an instructional video regarding jumping, as well. Don't recall seeing if it had been completed or not yet.

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information. I watched a couple of videos and went to the bar. My wife and I practiced for an hour or so and we were able to get the cue ball to raise a little but not nearly enough to jump a ball. The videos I watched said "It's fun and easy!". I found it fun trying, but by no means EASY.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If you have a good jump cue with a good jump tip (most important) the cue ball almost jumps by it self. I like the dart method but it is not as accurate as other methods.

Kim

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
When and if you get to Kalispell let me know. I've got some white diamond tips that will amaze you. Try my old Quetec Eliminator jump/break. With the diamond tip it jumps as well or better than any jumper I've tried. Don

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Thanks for the information. I watched a couple of videos and went to the bar. My wife and I practiced for an hour or so and we were able to get the cue ball to raise a little but not nearly enough to jump a ball. The videos I watched said "It's fun and easy!". I found it fun trying, but by no means EASY.

The cue ball you were jumping at the bar was probably a bit heavy. Very difficult to move. Try it with your home ball.

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plan on going again today to try. I will take my own cue ball this time and see if it helps. Thanks for the help!

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relax, relax, relax. If you tighten your grip it won't work. Think loose and quick through the ball.

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don,
I have two weeks to work and then get about two months off so I will be able to meet you just about anytime it is convenient for you. I think I would like that very much!

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As mentioned the bar cue ball is probably heavier. Another disadvantage is 3/4" slate used on most bar tables (it gives or flexes). Just like the c/b, slate thickness makes a big difference.

Rod

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Don,
I have two weeks to work and then get about two months off so I will be able to meet you just about anytime it is convenient for you. I think I would like that very much!

Just shoot me a pm. I looking to get work out of town so it will be about timing. Don

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don,

I hope looking for work out of town is what you want. I will pm you. My wife and I went to the bar again today (as if that isn't everyday!) and we were able to jump over a piece of chalk. Still not high enough for a ball, but an improvement!

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Here you go

If you want to get better at jumping go to the hardware store and by a small piece of plexi-glass and put it on the table and the CB on top of that to practice your jumps. This way you will not harm your cloth. You will soon get the hang of it and will never look back because once you have learned how to jump you never forget it.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can jump very good in a pool room, when I get to a bar and heavy cue ball, well I have problems. What should you do different when jumping in a bar with big cue ball. Thanks for the help. Tom