Dennis Orcollo vs Ko Pin Yi match statement by John French

elitecustomcues

Registered
I went out to Steinway Billiards with Dennis Orcollo for the match against Ko Pin Yi. I just want to let everyone know what happened between myself and Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. There was a tournament back a few months ago out at Steinway. This was the first time I had met them. They kind of asked me then if I was interested in backing any more players but I thought they were joking and told them no. When I went out for the tournament between Dennis Orcollo and Ko Pin Yi they said there backer was no longer giving them money for games. This was brought to me in the middle of the match by Mandy Wu and her boyfriend Dan. The reason they wanted to put a deal together with me now is because they wanted me to back them at Derby. I had no dealings with them before they approached me. I would have never contacted them first because I would have no way to speak/translate with them. Mandy said they had researched me and wanted me to back Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. I said I would love to back them at Derby because he is one of the best players in the world. I had NO INTENTIONS of putting a deal together with these two prior to going to Steinway Billiards and then them approaching me. This deal did not even come together until about 3 hours before the end of day 3. I told them if we did put a deal together then it was ok but I would not announce anything until after the match being that I was there with Dennis. If you look at Facebook this was not mentioned by Mandy Wu and Ko Pin Yi until AFTER the match was completed. My intentions is to make pool better everyday by bringing these matches together. I thought they would make a great scotch double partners in the future. The paperwork is not even in writing and is just a verbal agreement. They said they would have it drawn up in writing for Derby city classic to be signed. All we have is a verbal agreement that they would like me to back them in different events. If you listened to my commentary during their match you would see that I was a huge Dennis Orcollo fan. My intentions were to bring two great player together for the pool world to watch. I had no involvement of the streaming of this match or anything to do dishonest with this match. I only showed up to watch Dennis play. It was an unbelievable match and I wanted to see it in person. Who wouldn't want to have the two greatest players on their team. Knowing they did not have a backer while in the USA I was just trying to help make a lot of big games. You can talk to Manny at Steinway or anyone that knows me in the pool industry that I am the most honest person and would never do anything to jeopardize the game of pool. All I seen is two guys without a backer for Derby and wanted to help out because they are superstars in the game. I may have become too excited and didn't think before announcing this and the effect it could have. I am sorry if I have offended anybody by my excitement. I have a lot of love for the game because my passion is strong for the game. I love to watch the best of the best play and wish I could someday be as good as them. It was like I was in a dream when they approached me to back them. I never thought in my lifetime that 2 great players would ask me to back them up and I was honored and excited. The Dennis and Shane match is going to be an awesome match to watch and took a lot of time to set up. Dennis has been playing strong and putting a lot of energy into his game. There has always been a thought in the back of my mind who I could put up for Scotch doubles against Woodward and Bergman and so at Steinway when the brothers/Mandy Wu their interpreter approached me I got very excited because I felt I had the team to play Skylar and Justin. Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung would be a powerhouse team and who wouldn't get excited to watch that match. All I went to do for the game of pool is bring a lot of excitement and big matches for everyone to enjoy. As everyone knows in the pool world Justin and Skylar made an announcement that no one could beat them in Scotch double so when the 2 brothers said they wanted me to back them my first reaction was to put them up against Bergman/Woodward and thats the reason we all (Me, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Pin Chung, Mandy Wu and Dan) announced it that night. I was flying back to Illinois and they wanted to make sure they had a verbal confirmation that I would back them at Derby City Classic and that they would type up a contract and sign at Derby. All I want to say is good luck to everyone at Derby and hope everyone watches the match between Dennis and Shane on Feb 11-14. You don't want to miss this event. It seems like a year ago nobody was talking about big matches and now everyone seems to want to watch the best players in pool. I promise the only thing I want for the pool industry is honesty and high integrity. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a lot of respect for all the pros and amateurs in the pool industry. I am sorry if people did not enjoy my commentary but sometimes my excitement get the best of me. God Bless to all and good luck in 2016!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went out to Steinway Billiards with Dennis Orcollo for the match against Ko Pin Yi. I just want to let everyone know what happened between myself and Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. There was a tournament back a few months ago out at Steinway. This was the first time I had met them. They kind of asked me then if I was interested in backing any more players but I thought they were joking and told them no.

When I went out for the tournament between Dennis Orcollo and Ko Pin Yi they said there backer was no longer giving them money for games. This was brought to me in the middle of the match by Mandy Wu and her boyfriend Dan. The reason they wanted to put a deal together with me now is because they wanted me to back them at Derby. I had no dealings with them before they approached me. I would have never contacted them first because I would have no way to speak/translate with them. Mandy said they had researched me and wanted me to back Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. I said I would love to back them at Derby because he is one of the best players in the world.

I had NO INTENTIONS of putting a deal together with these two prior to going to Steinway Billiards and then them approaching me. This deal did not even come together until about 3 hours before the end of day 3. I told them if we did put a deal together then it was ok but I would not announce anything until after the match being that I was there with Dennis. If you look at Facebook this was not mentioned by Mandy Wu and Ko Pin Yi until AFTER the match was completed. My intentions is to make pool better everyday by bringing these matches together.

I thought they would make a great scotch double partners in the future. The paperwork is not even in writing and is just a verbal agreement. They said they would have it drawn up in writing for Derby city classic to be signed. All we have is a verbal agreement that they would like me to back them in different events. If you listened to my commentary during their match you would see that I was a huge Dennis Orcollo fan. My intentions were to bring two great player together for the pool world to watch. I had no involvement of the streaming of this match or anything to do dishonest with this match. I only showed up to watch Dennis play.

It was an unbelievable match and I wanted to see it in person. Who wouldn't want to have the two greatest players on their team. Knowing they did not have a backer while in the USA I was just trying to help make a lot of big games. You can talk to Manny at Steinway or anyone that knows me in the pool industry that I am the most honest person and would never do anything to jeopardize the game of pool. All I seen is two guys without a backer for Derby and wanted to help out because they are superstars in the game. I may have become too excited and didn't think before announcing this and the effect it could have.

I am sorry if I have offended anybody by my excitement. I have a lot of love for the game because my passion is strong for the game. I love to watch the best of the best play and wish I could someday be as good as them. It was like I was in a dream when they approached me to back them. I never thought in my lifetime that 2 great players would ask me to back them up and I was honored and excited. The Dennis and Shane match is going to be an awesome match to watch and took a lot of time to set up. Dennis has been playing strong and putting a lot of energy into his game.

There has always been a thought in the back of my mind who I could put up for Scotch doubles against Woodward and Bergman and so at Steinway when the brothers/Mandy Wu their interpreter approached me I got very excited because I felt I had the team to play Skylar and Justin. Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung would be a powerhouse team and who wouldn't get excited to watch that match. All I went to do for the game of pool is bring a lot of excitement and big matches for everyone to enjoy.

As everyone knows in the pool world Justin and Skylar made an announcement that no one could beat them in Scotch double so when the 2 brothers said they wanted me to back them my first reaction was to put them up against Bergman/Woodward and thats the reason we all (Me, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Pin Chung, Mandy Wu and Dan) announced it that night. I was flying back to Illinois and they wanted to make sure they had a verbal confirmation that I would back them at Derby City Classic and that they would type up a contract and sign at Derby.

All I want to say is good luck to everyone at Derby and hope everyone watches the match between Dennis and Shane on Feb 11-14. You don't want to miss this event. It seems like a year ago nobody was talking about big matches and now everyone seems to want to watch the best players in pool.

I promise the only thing I want for the pool industry is honesty and high integrity. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a lot of respect for all the pros and amateurs in the pool industry. I am sorry if people did not enjoy my commentary but sometimes my excitement get the best of me. God Bless to all and good luck in 2016!

You're welcome, everyone.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with what he did. He seems to want to try to get pool into the spotlight. Good luck with that. Would love to see pool on any of the 5 million sports channels that show things like bowling, hunting, arm wrestling, etc... There has to be a place at the table for pool.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going down with you all the way on this one. Exactly what you said is what I have been saying since this came out. Glad you saw it fit to tell your side.
"who would not want to bet big and lil Ko, that's the only part that seem strange to me but glad you were on the sport to pick them up.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
When I went out for the tournament between Dennis Orcollo and Ko Pin Yi they said there backer was no longer giving them money for games.

This deal did not even come together until about 3 hours before the end of day 3.

Knowing they did not have a backer while in the USA I was just trying to help make a lot of big games.

I'm confused --- who backed Ko versus Dennis?

And you made this agreement with Ko while he was playing Dennis, in the middle of the match? So Ko was talking to you instead of being involved in his match?

Maybe I am not understanding something.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff notes?

A guy with more money than sense made a faux pas in his gambling etiquette, so the forum immediately jumped on the bandwagon that there must have been a dump involved. I think that would get you at least a "C" if you had to write a paper. :thumbup:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I told them if we did put a deal together then it was ok but I would not announce anything until after the match being that I was there with Dennis. If you look at Facebook this was not mentioned by Mandy Wu and Ko Pin Yi until AFTER the match was completed.

lol really?

ODSWaAt.gif

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I went out to Steinway Billiards with Dennis Orcollo for the match against Ko Pin Yi. I

just want to let everyone know what happened between myself and Ko Pin Yi and Ko

Pin Chung. There was a tournament back a few months ago out at Steinway. This

was the first time I had met them. They kind of asked me then if I was interested in

backing any more players but I thought they were joking and told them no. When I

went out for the tournament between Dennis Orcollo and Ko Pin Yi they said there

backer was no longer giving them money for games. This was brought to me in the

middle of the match by Mandy Wu and her boyfriend Dan. The reason they wanted to

put a deal together with me now is because they wanted me to back them at Derby. I

had no dealings with them before they approached me. I would have never contacted

them first because I would have no way to speak/translate with them. Mandy said

they had researched me and wanted me to back Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. I said I

would love to back them at Derby because he is one of the best players in the world. I

had NO INTENTIONS of putting a deal together with these two prior to going to

Steinway Billiards and then them approaching me. This deal did not even come

together until about 3 hours before the end of day 3. I told them if we did put a deal

together then it was ok but I would not announce anything until after the match being

that I was there with Dennis. If you look at Facebook this was not mentioned by

Mandy Wu and Ko Pin Yi until AFTER the match was completed. My intentions is to

make pool better everyday by bringing these matches together. I thought they would

make a great scotch double partners in the future. The paperwork is not even in writing

and is just a verbal agreement. They said they would have it drawn up in writing for

Derby city classic to be signed. All we have is a verbal agreement that they would like

me to back them in different events. If you listened to my commentary during their

match you would see that I was a huge Dennis Orcollo fan. My intentions were to

bring two great player together for the pool world to watch. I had no involvement of the

streaming of this match or anything to do dishonest with this match. I only showed up

to watch Dennis play. It was an unbelievable match and I wanted to see it in person.

Who wouldn't want to have the two greatest players on their team. Knowing they did

not have a backer while in the USA I was just trying to help make a lot of big games.

You can talk to Manny at Steinway or anyone that knows me in the pool industry that I

am the most honest person and would never do anything to jeopardize the game of

pool. All I seen is two guys without a backer for Derby and wanted to help out

because they are superstars in the game. I may have become too excited and didn't

think before announcing this and the effect it could have. I am sorry if I have offended

anybody by my excitement. I have a lot of love for the game because my passion is

strong for the game. I love to watch the best of the best play and wish I could

someday be as good as them. It was like I was in a dream when they approached me

to back them. I never thought in my lifetime that 2 great players would ask me to back

them up and I was honored and excited. The Dennis and Shane match is going to be

an awesome match to watch and took a lot of time to set up. Dennis has been playing

strong and putting a lot of energy into his game. There has always been a thought in

the back of my mind who I could put up for Scotch doubles against Woodward and

Bergman and so at Steinway when the brothers/Mandy Wu their interpreter

approached me I got very excited because I felt I had the team to play Skylar and

Justin. Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung would be a powerhouse team and who wouldn't

get excited to watch that match. All I went to do for the game of pool is bring a lot of

excitement and big matches for everyone to enjoy. As everyone knows in the pool

world Justin and Skylar made an announcement that no one could beat them in

Scotch double so when the 2 brothers said they wanted me to back them my first

reaction was to put them up against Bergman/Woodward and thats the reason we all

(Me, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Pin Chung, Mandy Wu and Dan) announced it that night. I was

flying back to Illinois and they wanted to make sure they had a verbal confirmation

that I would back them at Derby City Classic and that they would type up a contract

and sign at Derby. All I want to say is good luck to everyone at Derby and hope

everyone watches the match between Dennis and Shane on Feb 11-14. You don't

want to miss this event. It seems like a year ago nobody was talking about big

matches and now everyone seems to want to watch the best players in pool. I

promise the only thing I want for the pool industry is honesty and high integrity. Thank

you for taking the time to read this. I have a lot of respect for all the pros and

amateurs in the pool industry. I am sorry if people did not enjoy my commentary but

sometimes my excitement get the best of me. God Bless to all and good luck in 2016!

Spacing for your reading pleasure.

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up and up

I was there the last two days and have to say that I saw John French sweating the action. Even on the last day when Ko was making a come back John was running around amped and sweating. It was a delight to see these two guys in the pit on a super tough table getting some tough outs.

Thanks John French for making this happen. Hopefully pool can get exciting again.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
John, it's been posted that this past match between Dennis and Ko, was actually for $10,000 in the middle, not $20,000.

Yet all the flyers and announcements say 20k.

Why?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I went out to Steinway Billiards with Dennis Orcollo for the match against Ko Pin Yi. I

just want to let everyone know what happened between myself and Ko Pin Yi and Ko

Pin Chung. There was a tournament back a few months ago out at Steinway. This

was the first time I had met them. They kind of asked me then if I was interested in

backing any more players but I thought they were joking and told them no. When I

went out for the tournament between Dennis Orcollo and Ko Pin Yi they said there

backer was no longer giving them money for games. This was brought to me in the

middle of the match by Mandy Wu and her boyfriend Dan. The reason they wanted to

put a deal together with me now is because they wanted me to back them at Derby. I

had no dealings with them before they approached me. I would have never contacted

them first because I would have no way to speak/translate with them. Mandy said

they had researched me and wanted me to back Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung. I said I

would love to back them at Derby because he is one of the best players in the world. I

had NO INTENTIONS of putting a deal together with these two prior to going to

Steinway Billiards and then them approaching me. This deal did not even come

together until about 3 hours before the end of day 3. I told them if we did put a deal

together then it was ok but I would not announce anything until after the match being

that I was there with Dennis. If you look at Facebook this was not mentioned by

Mandy Wu and Ko Pin Yi until AFTER the match was completed. My intentions is to

make pool better everyday by bringing these matches together. I thought they would

make a great scotch double partners in the future. The paperwork is not even in writing

and is just a verbal agreement. They said they would have it drawn up in writing for

Derby city classic to be signed. All we have is a verbal agreement that they would like

me to back them in different events. If you listened to my commentary during their

match you would see that I was a huge Dennis Orcollo fan. My intentions were to

bring two great player together for the pool world to watch. I had no involvement of the

streaming of this match or anything to do dishonest with this match. I only showed up

to watch Dennis play. It was an unbelievable match and I wanted to see it in person.

Who wouldn't want to have the two greatest players on their team. Knowing they did

not have a backer while in the USA I was just trying to help make a lot of big games.

You can talk to Manny at Steinway or anyone that knows me in the pool industry that I

am the most honest person and would never do anything to jeopardize the game of

pool. All I seen is two guys without a backer for Derby and wanted to help out

because they are superstars in the game. I may have become too excited and didn't

think before announcing this and the effect it could have. I am sorry if I have offended

anybody by my excitement. I have a lot of love for the game because my passion is

strong for the game. I love to watch the best of the best play and wish I could

someday be as good as them. It was like I was in a dream when they approached me

to back them. I never thought in my lifetime that 2 great players would ask me to back

them up and I was honored and excited. The Dennis and Shane match is going to be

an awesome match to watch and took a lot of time to set up. Dennis has been playing

strong and putting a lot of energy into his game. There has always been a thought in

the back of my mind who I could put up for Scotch doubles against Woodward and

Bergman and so at Steinway when the brothers/Mandy Wu their interpreter

approached me I got very excited because I felt I had the team to play Skylar and

Justin. Ko Pin Yi and Ko Pin Chung would be a powerhouse team and who wouldn't

get excited to watch that match. All I went to do for the game of pool is bring a lot of

excitement and big matches for everyone to enjoy. As everyone knows in the pool

world Justin and Skylar made an announcement that no one could beat them in

Scotch double so when the 2 brothers said they wanted me to back them my first

reaction was to put them up against Bergman/Woodward and thats the reason we all

(Me, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Pin Chung, Mandy Wu and Dan) announced it that night. I was

flying back to Illinois and they wanted to make sure they had a verbal confirmation

that I would back them at Derby City Classic and that they would type up a contract

and sign at Derby. All I want to say is good luck to everyone at Derby and hope

everyone watches the match between Dennis and Shane on Feb 11-14. You don't

want to miss this event. It seems like a year ago nobody was talking about big

matches and now everyone seems to want to watch the best players in pool. I

promise the only thing I want for the pool industry is honesty and high integrity. Thank

you for taking the time to read this. I have a lot of respect for all the pros and

amateurs in the pool industry. I am sorry if people did not enjoy my commentary but

sometimes my excitement get the best of me. God Bless to all and good luck in 2016!

Spacing for your reading pleasure.

Yeah, that did not make it better LOL.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused --- who backed Ko versus Dennis?

And you made this agreement with Ko while he was playing Dennis, in the middle of the match? So Ko was talking to you instead of being involved in his match?

Maybe I am not understanding something.
This is the question I think people really want to know because without the answer to this leaves people confused. Ive heard several different stories none which make any sense.
1. I heard Ko was playing with his own cash. Which dont add up cause if cash was his and they were playing for 20k. If he wins that match he would have 40k of his own cash to stake himself at DCC.
2. I heard his backer from phillipines was backing. Which also don't add up especially now knowing 100% he was in talks with oppenents stakehorse before match was over.
So who was staking KO and how much was match really for??

Also I think Frenchy is taking brunt of this when some if not alot of blame should go to KO brothers. If Ko was playing with his own cash he was basically admitting defeat vs dennis before match was over. If he was already in talks with Frenchy could only mean 2 things to me.
1. He knew he was outmatched and about to lose a good chunk of his stake money for DCC and was basically looking for Backer now. But we know now it was mentioned few months earlier so that probably wasnt the case.
2. If he did have a backer in phillipines for match vs dennis. Then that would scare the heck out of me to back him. Somebody gives u supposedly 20k to play and your already cutting him out and working deal with oppenents backer before match is over is very very bad etiquette IMO

I have heard frenchy is honest as they come and this was probably misunderstanding. I am completely biased on this as I did not have 1 cent on the match but I am a frequent bettor in action room here and this match caused a crap storm in action room and left a very bad taste in the mouths of some of AZ best pool fans and bettors. I hope this gets cleared up and everything was on the up and up but I would not be surprised at all if the live stream match between Dennis and SVB ratings drop significantly because of that match

I hope not and hope it gets double ratings.

Last edited: