Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Louie Roberts Award - Final Year
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Louie Roberts Award - Final Year
Old
  (#1)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cornerman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 11,350
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL
   
Louie Roberts Award - Final Year - 01-31-2016, 07:03 PM

Again, to the forum fans and billiards, it has been this committee’s honor and pleasure to name the annual Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award for the past 10+ years.

Initially what was started as a way to reward the excitement that action players brought to the green room, it quickly became one of the more sought after titles. For the first several years up until just two years ago, the winners of the award would have their photos hung high in the tournament hall, even higher than the tournament winners. The previous year's recipient would have his likeness next to the previous year's 1P, Banks, and 9-ball Champion.

However, as of last year, the award is no longer affiliated with Derby City Classic due to its going against the host casino sites bylaws as well as the Gaming Commissions rules.

As such, this year’s award and announcement is bittersweet, as this will be the final year that the award will be presented. We’ve had a good run, and all things must end. The spirit of the award was to highlight the action and its entertainment value in our world of pool. The winner’s image was showcased in the tournament room as equal if not higher (literally) than the other tournament champions. Of late, those winners are longer showcased at all. Unfortunately, it’s that’s same highlighting and glorifying of that gambling action that doesn’t sit well with the host casino site. One-on-one gambling is legal, but the side action that is counted and encouraged as part of the entertainment value is exactly what the Casino and Gambling Commission doesn’t want to see. So the long and short of it: 2016 will be the final year. Without the ability and fun of presenting the gambling side of pool as entertainment, the award has lost its spirit.

Yours in Action,

Freddie Agnir
Committee Head - Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award


--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension)
Breaking Cue:Gilbert

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute
 
Black-Balled's Avatar
 
Status: Online
Posts: 36,130
vCash: 1200
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: This Toilet Earth
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-31-2016, 07:07 PM

Eh, too bad.

I know it has been a lo or of love for ta, and it has been fun for us to watch too.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cuebuddy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado mountains
   
01-31-2016, 07:34 PM

Like you said Freddie you had a good run.
Thanks for all your hard work and great game updates. Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award or not I look forward to attending this event in the years to come.


Cuebuddy
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute
 
ideologist's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
iTrader: 118 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
   
01-31-2016, 07:50 PM

Disappointing, but understandable. Thanks for your stewardship over the years!


Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
cueaddicts
AzB Gold Member
cueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond reputecueaddicts has a reputation beyond repute
 
cueaddicts's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,353
vCash: 12000
iTrader: 205 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: netn
   
01-31-2016, 08:44 PM

Thanks, Freddie, for all you've done with this over the years. You're as good as they come!


cueaddicts.weebly.com

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears."
—Robert T. Jones.........(The same can also be said for pocket billiards.)


" A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
—Alexander Hamilton
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
12squared
AzB Gold Member
12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute12squared has a reputation beyond repute
 
12squared's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,798
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 137 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Collins, CO
   
01-31-2016, 11:06 PM

So are you taking votes or player suggestions for the award? If so I would think that Danny Smith should be in the mix.

Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute
 
JB Cases's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 27,780
vCash: 5700
iTrader: 129 / 100%
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
01-31-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Again, to the forum fans and billiards, it has been this committee’s honor and pleasure to name the annual Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award for the past 10+ years.

Initially what was started as a way to reward the excitement that action players brought to the green room, it quickly became one of the more sought after titles. For the first several years up until just two years ago, the winners of the award would have their photos hung high in the tournament hall, even higher than the tournament winners. The previous year's recipient would have his likeness next to the previous year's 1P, Banks, and 9-ball Champion.

However, as of last year, the award is no longer affiliated with Derby City Classic due to its going against the host casino sites bylaws as well as the Gaming Commissions rules.

As such, this year’s award and announcement is bittersweet, as this will be the final year that the award will be presented. We’ve had a good run, and all things must end. The spirit of the award was to highlight the action and its entertainment value in our world of pool. The winner’s image was showcased in the tournament room as equal if not higher (literally) than the other tournament champions. Of late, those winners are longer showcased at all. Unfortunately, it’s that’s same highlighting and glorifying of that gambling action that doesn’t sit well with the host casino site. One-on-one gambling is legal, but the side action that is counted and encouraged as part of the entertainment value is exactly what the Casino and Gambling Commission doesn’t want to see. So the long and short of it: 2016 will be the final year. Without the ability and fun of presenting the gambling side of pool as entertainment, the award has lost its spirit.

Yours in Action,

Freddie Agnir
Committee Head - Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award
You have been an excellent steward. Sad to see the era come to an end. As someone who was fortunate to have attended the wild west days at the Executive West I think it really took a blow when that venue was no longer viable. That era of the DCC will always be fondly remembered by me as historic and insanely impressive. The action there was amazing and pervasive and simply an unavoidable part of the experience.

Not so at the Horseshoe. One could literally play all week and never even see an action match there. Although there were of course legendary matches played to me after the Executive West experience none of them ever held the same excitement for me personally.

I am sad though that one of the main pillars of Greg's vision is being swept away. I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely lose all the luster and attraction next year due to casino cops acting like hall monitors in fear of the gaming commission. I can also imagine that the Horseshoe would rather have any money slotted for gambling be in play in their casino rather than in the tournament rooms.

I sincerely and earnestly hope that the DCC can find a new home somewhere more convenient and player friendly that allows the entire foundation of what the DCC is built on to flourish as intended.

John - no one ever side bet on me at the DCC - Barton


Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.


jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations


"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute
 
JAM's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 33,536
vCash: 325
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2004
   
02-01-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
You have been an excellent steward. Sad to see the era come to an end. As someone who was fortunate to have attended the wild west days at the Executive West I think it really took a blow when that venue was no longer viable. That era of the DCC will always be fondly remembered by me as historic and insanely impressive. The action there was amazing and pervasive and simply an unavoidable part of the experience.

Not so at the Horseshoe. One could literally play all week and never even see an action match there. Although there were of course legendary matches played to me after the Executive West experience none of them ever held the same excitement for me personally.

I am sad though that one of the main pillars of Greg's vision is being swept away. I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely lose all the luster and attraction next year due to casino cops acting like hall monitors in fear of the gaming commission. I can also imagine that the Horseshoe would rather have any money slotted for gambling be in play in their casino rather than in the tournament rooms.

I sincerely and earnestly hope that the DCC can find a new home somewhere more convenient and player friendly that allows the entire foundation of what the DCC is built on to flourish as intended.

John - no one ever side bet on me at the DCC - Barton
Well said, and I agree. Greg puts his heart and soul into this event, and I know he wants what is best for pool. Unfortunately, when working with the venue folks, he has to follow *their* rules and stipulations. I sincerely wish him and the Derby City Classic much success in the coming years. It's the one event that celebrates pool to the fullest, whether you're an pool purist, an action junkie, a player, a pro, or a railbird like me.


.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Bank it
Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Bank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond reputeBank it has a reputation beyond repute
 
Bank it's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Center Table
   
02-01-2016, 02:58 AM

This is a shame. Sorry to see it go.


Everyone Sees What I Appear To Be,
Few Experience What I Really Am...

You think that you're one thing, but understand that you're seen as another, so you suspect that maybe you are the other, but you don't know what that means... "Calhoun"
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
cueenvy
AzB Silver Member
cueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond repute
 
cueenvy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2015
   
02-01-2016, 03:15 AM

The casino has condoned the open pool gambling for years....pure hypocrisy.

It's just a shame what is happening to big table pool in this country.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease
Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute
 
Tooler's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 1275
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Meeechigan
   
02-01-2016, 05:52 AM

Just another nail..... sad.

Thanks Freddie for all you've done over the past years.


--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,821
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: HS Hockey Town Trenton Mi
   
02-01-2016, 06:34 AM

deleted as I seen the answer in another thread

��

Last edited by TheBook; 02-01-2016 at 06:58 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
CreeDo
Fargo Rating 597
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute
 
CreeDo's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,920
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
02-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Couldn't you just nominate someone unofficially? I'm sure the casino wouldn't care about an AZ post.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute
 
Pushout's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,590
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2006
   
02-01-2016, 07:16 AM

Sad, indeed, to hear this happening because of a casino being against it. As someone already said, how hypocritical.
Thanks, Fred, for your work and enthusiasm.


I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute
 
Cornerman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 11,350
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL
   
02-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeDo View Post
Couldn't you just nominate someone unofficially? I'm sure the casino wouldn't care about an AZ post.
I'm not sure what you mean.


--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension)
Breaking Cue:Gilbert

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.