Mike Sigel vs Buddy Hall, Race to 100

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of them in their prime, if they placed a race to 100 9-ball, who would win, and by how many games? Please explain why, i.e. strengths and weaknesses over one another.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
Both of them in their prime, if they placed a race to 100 9-ball, who would win, and by how many games? Please explain why, i.e. strengths and weaknesses over one another.

Always an interesting question. I think you'd have to have several races to 100, and then ask who wins the majority. IMO, I'd say Sigel wins 6 to 4 for every 10 matchups. At his prime, he got every roll and he had a better break.

Fred

gpeezy

for sale!
I like mike here. Reason being I think he's gonna have more streaks than Buddy. I think that is something that seperates players of that caliber in long races. Buddy has the ability to play perfect but I feel Mike will hit him with more gamebreaker shots.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
If there is money on the outcome of the match, the higher the amount, the more I like Buddy.

Buddy is just a better heads up player than Mike, IMO.

It would still be close. Final score 100 to high 80's or low 90's.

Stones

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Buddy.

If they are gambling in their prime it's gotta be Buddy.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
JCIN said:
Buddy.

If they are gambling in their prime it's gotta be Buddy.

Justin

When I spoke to Mike a few days ago, he said that the only players that tested him were Buddy, Earl and F-rumm (lol). I think the Action challenge format is perfect to showcase a player with a personality like Mike Sigel - I'd love to see Mike and Buddy go at it in 9 ball / race to 50 as the undercard.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Blackjack said:
Justin

When I spoke to Mike a few days ago, he said that the only players that tested him were Buddy, Earl and F-rumm (lol). I think the Action challenge format is perfect to showcase a player with a personality like Mike Sigel - I'd love to see Mike and Buddy go at it in 9 ball / race to 50 as the undercard.
We are talking to Buddy about getting him in the ring when he is ready. I can't speak for the Action Report as a whole but speaking for myself, I will not work with Mike Sigel or any of the other principles involved in the IPT. I am sure the last thing on his mind is doing anything with us so it should work out fine.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I'd guess it's Sigel, because he had that incredibly simple and straight stroking motion (his entire body except for his left arm below the elbow and his right middle finger might as well be made of granite while he shoots; nothing moves but the shooting forearm and the finger curled under his bridge), straight-pool consistency, and because I never heard Efren say that Buddy Hall was the best opponent he ever faced.

-Andrew

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall for the cash

There was a period of several years during which Buddy was widely considered to be the best 9-ball player in the world, especially for the cash. And during that period, there was a stretch of time, maybe a month or so, when Buddy played so perfectly that observers said it got boring to watch him as he went hours at a time without missing a makeable shot. Now no one had a record in the finals of 9-ball tournaments. His winning percentage in 9-ball finals was over 80% for a considerable stretch of time. So, while Mike in his prime might have the edge in a tournament format, if it were a match for big money, and you had Buddy during that magical month or so when he just stayed in the zone for weeks at a time, go hock everything you own and get down on The Rifleman!:)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
There was a period of several years during which Buddy was widely considered to be the best 9-ball player in the world, especially for the cash. And during that period, there was a stretch of time, maybe a month or so, when Buddy played so perfectly that observers said it got boring to watch him as he went hours at a time without missing a makeable shot. Now no one had a record in the finals of 9-ball tournaments. His winning percentage in 9-ball finals was over 80% for a considerable stretch of time. So, while Mike in his prime might have the edge in a tournament format, if it were a match for big money, and you had Buddy during that magical month or so when he just stayed in the zone for weeks at a time, go hock everything you own and get down on The Rifleman!:)

Bill,

You must have meant Sigel's record in the Finals of tournaments. He was near unbeatable if he made the finals.

This is one of those fantasy match-ups, because they are both long since past their prime. My opinion is that in both their primes, say late 70's to early 80's, Sigel would not have gambled with Buddy for big money (or small money for that matter). Hubbart would have vetoed that idea quick. Nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If a Challenge Match had been staged back then (where were the TAR guys when we needed them :)), that is entirely a different matter. If they were playing with a prize fund secured, say 10K for first and 5K for second, in that format Sigel could well win. I would make a match like that a toss up.
Both could play a long time, and neither player was going to miss many balls. Buddy may have been capable of stringing more racks, and with his
slow and easy pace, that may have frustrated Sigel a little.

This match could have been just as interesting as the famous Earl-Efren match. One thing for sure, they would have played hard from beginning to end.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Bill,

You must have meant Sigel's record in the Finals of tournaments. He was near unbeatable if he made the finals.

Yep, I think that is what I wrote, but if I didn't say it clearly, yes, I meant his record once he reached the finals of a 9-ball tournament. He was deadly at that point.

abundy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It says in Buddy's book that he and Sigel played two 10-ahead sets for 10k each, and Buddy won both sets.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
abundy said:
It says in Buddy's book that he and Sigel played two 10-ahead sets for 10k each, and Buddy won both sets.
In Buddy's book, he did not lose a match.
No mention of Wade Crane beating him.

Sigel would whine and win this one imo. Better break and he could jump the ball.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Hour after hour of BUDDY'S perfect, slow death play would have broken SIGEL down eventually. Once it started no one could fade the roll n stroll...

abundy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:

It does say that Wade Crane beat Buddy in Ashville NC playing 10-ball and that Buddy beat Wade playing 9-ball.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
Hour after hour of BUDDY'S perfect, slow death play would have broken SIGEL down eventually. Once it started no one could fade the roll n stroll...

LOL ! the Roll n Stroll. I like it.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
abundy said:
JoeyInCali said:

It does say that Wade Crane beat Buddy in Ashville NC playing 10-ball and that Buddy beat Wade playing 9-ball.

He also admits losing to Andy Oguine in the book. No mention of Dan Louie who busted the entire town of Baton Rouge playing even on the 8' table with the big ball.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
abundy said:
He also admits losing to Andy Oguine in the book. No mention of Dan Louie who busted the entire town of Baton Rouge playing even on the 8' table with the big ball.

He also admits to losing to Seth "Buttermilk" Brown in the book.