14.1 Stats -- John Schmidt's Run of 434 on Video, December 2018

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly...somebody always has to play the Knocker.

He is trying to exceed the record on a similar table.

Breaking 400 on a Diamond is already tougher than what Mosconi did.

Hope he wakes up someday and runs 800...

I had looked at the straight pool competition at DCC for the last few yrs. All total about maybe just 5 players with 200+ runs(on Diamonds I'm guessing pro-cut)with Shaw with the highest at 227. I believe the only 200+ are Dennis, Melling, Mika, Ruslan, and Shaw. That dates back to 2006.
.https://derbycityclassic.com/straight-pool/

One can almost figure out the number of total attempts or close to it.

Shows how much tougher straight pool is on a Diamond.

It wasn't till 2015 that a player ran 200+. That's ten years into the event.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love his runs, not a fan of picking up the cue ball.

Not sure if Willie did or not.

Sh1t happens. The scratch was ridiculously unlucky regardless of whether or not playing it differently could have avoided it. Amazing run. But likewise, not a fan of picking the cue ball up. It’s about the run that the player makes, not about the player. Takes the edge of an otherwise great achievement. Well not quite, it’s still great but a bit of etiquette would have made it greater. At every level of the game players have their great moments, respect the game the same way they do.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It wasn't till 2015 that a player ran 200+. That's ten years into the event.
For years Greg Sullivan offered a $1000 bonus for a run of 200 and I thought his money was pretty safe. I think he had withdrawn the offer by the time it finally happened.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... As for 14.1 on 8-footers vs. 9-footers, until some experts who have played a lot of 14.1 on both sizes of tables (and I don't imagine we'll find many top pros who have ever played much 14.1 on 8-footers) say otherwise, I'm willing to believe what John Schmidt has to say on the topic. ...
I may not be an expert, but for three or four years, most of my 14.1 was on 8-footers. They were much easier than 9-footers for me.

And I asked Jimmy Caras specifically about playing on an 8-foot table. He said that the only reason a top player would ever miss on an 8-foot table was because they got tired.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess there will just have to be an "Eight Foot Table Record" and a "Nine Foot Table Record." John is trying to beat Mosconi's 8' record.

Make sense?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess there will just have to be an "Eight Foot Table Record" and a "Nine Foot Table Record." John is trying to beat Mosconi's 8' record.

Make sense?
Sort of, but that's not what John has been trying to do. He has been trying to set the exhibition high run record on a pool table. That's without regard to size. I think he has already set the record for exhibitions on a 9-foot table.

I think that if John had spent the same amount of time on an 8-foot table he would have run 527 or more already.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had looked at the straight pool competition at DCC for the last few yrs. All total about maybe just 5 players with 200+ runs(on Diamonds I'm guessing pro-cut)with Shaw with the highest at 227. I believe the only 200+ are Dennis, Melling, Mika, Ruslan, and Shaw. That dates back to 2006.
.https://derbycityclassic.com/straight-pool/

One can almost figure out the number of total attempts or close to it.

Shows how much tougher straight pool is on a Diamond.

It wasn't till 2015 that a player ran 200+. That's ten years into the event.

Not being able to significantly cheat the pockets to fine tune position makes it much harder. Plus if you send the ball in the pocket hard they love to spit them out.

Who else has ever run over 400 on a Diamond?

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Make sense?

Also a Diamond 9 foot record. Huge difference playing 14.1 compared to Gold Crowns with 4.75- 5 inch corner pockets.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed he tends to leave a ball below the stack in case he needs to go into the stack - and he gets better results than I get when doing that without an insurance ball.

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=4487

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=4917

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=6127

Regarding the scratch I also noticed when he took a break prior to the final rack the man racking cleaned the cue ball and then here...

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=7462

John picked up the cue ball and said "it picked up a string or something". He cleaned the ball with his glove and then put the ball back with his glove. I wonder if the "string or something" was still on the ball when it took the weird turn. When he put the ball back down with his glove the string might have gotten back on the ball. I'm not sure a piece of chalk could make the ball curve like that but a string probably could.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player picks up the CB mid-run it's a foul -- run over.

What is odd to me is that he's got a guy there, with gloves on (presumably to not gum up the balls) to rack, but instead of telling him there's something on the CB and having him mark the position of and clean the CB, he does it himself.

Lou Figueroa
oh, well

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is odd to me is that he's got a guy there, with gloves on (presumably to not gum up the balls) to rack, but instead of telling him there's something on the CB and having him mark the position of and clean the CB, he does it himself.

Lou Figueroa
oh, well
You're not wrong, but didn't we figure he took 2762 shots at the run?
If you divide that by the amount of time and the number of balls shot, then take the square root of the ghost of willy, you get confused, right?
I do.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not wrong, but didn't we figure he took 2762 shots at the run?
If you divide that by the amount of time and the number of balls shot, then take the square root of the ghost of willy, you get confused, right?
I do.

Don't know about all that.

All I know is that there is nowhere in pool where a player can just pick up a CB mid-run.

Lou Figueroa

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching the 434. Wow, what an amazing run! Kudo's to John Schmidt.

The chitter chatter, fast shooting, and light heartedness, all made it even more enjoyable to watch. When the number got super high, you could tell there was way more tension in the room.

Thanks for the great show, Mr Schmidt.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
oh, well
I haven't watched the video yet, but are you saying John picked up the cue ball to clean it without carefully marking it's position first? If so, that is very strange when he's going for a world record high run. I see no problem with carefully marking the cue ball to clean it off at any point during a long run, even if he does it himself, but surely I think we all would agree that it would have looked a lot better if his racker did it for him, upon request.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't watched the video yet, but are you saying John picked up the cue ball to clean it without carefully marking it's position first? If so, that is very strange when he's going for a world record high run. I see no problem with carefully marking the cue ball to clean it off at any point during a long run, even if he does it himself, but surely I think we all would agree that it would have looked a lot better if his racker did it for him, upon request.

No. He marked it with a cube of chalk to remove a hair. Then replaced it.

In the whole run, unless I missed something:
-The object balls were never cleaned.
-The CB was BIH once (he left it in the rack). I don't recall him even wiping it on his shirt on that BIH situation.
-The CB location was marked by the racker right around 420 balls, when they changed the camera card. John took a bathroom break, and asked the racker to clean the CB. Racker cleaned with his gloves it looks like, and restored the CB. The racker used a cube of chalk to mark the CB.
-A few balls after that, John himself marked the CB with the chalk to get the aforementioned hair off.

So the CB was off of the bed of the cloth a total of 3 times, and of those 3, cleaned twice.

I don't see anything wrong with that. IMO:grin-square:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I mentioned in the other thread, a few days later, perhaps when they were playing with the same set, John changed out the relatively worn cue ball for a brand new one.

How many threads are there on this subject? I've found two but maybe there are three or four? Anyway, maybe this question has been asked somewhere, but hasn't anybody inspected the curving cue ball? It isn't like this happened ten years ago so that ball should still be around I would think. It should be pretty easy to tell if there is a bulging measle (sounds like a nasty medical condition).

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started watching this run and something looks odd to me right off the bat. Does anybody else think the cue ball is wobbling way to much just as it comes to a stop? Look at the cue ball come to rest after this shot. It literally stops moving and then rolls again one last time. Bulging measle?

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=70

Edit: The more I watch the more convinced I am that this cue ball has problems. I'm surprised that John didn't notice it. Here's a shot where the cue ball stops and then rolls backwards:

https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=558

If you look at the object balls roll after a break shot they mostly come to a stop normally, but I will say that here and there you will also see an object ball stop with a wobble. I'm very familiar with normal movements like that due to the cloth or whatever, but the cue ball wobbles seem excessive to me.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8?t=558

If you look at the object balls roll after a break shot they mostly come to a stop normally, but I will say that here and there you will also see an object ball stop with a wobble. I'm very familiar with normal movements like that due to the cloth or whatever, but the cue ball wobbles seem excessive to me.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not experienced with this, but that seems like an excessive bit of wobble to me.

I searched online for billiard ball testing machines and methods and came up empty. Does anyone know of any such device or test method?