15 Ball Ghost Rating Drill

pool_mantra

Registered
"I recall during an accustats commentary, Buddy Hall said something to the affect of "it doesn't matter how small the pocket is if you always hit the center"

I'm not disagreeing with you, just offering Buddy's viewpoint.

Coincidentally, I wanted my home table to be buckets. It's a GC with only the factory shims, no additional ones added. I want to build as much confidence and have as much fun as possible at home. Not beat myself up. Anyway, that was my reasoning on bucket pockets for home. Over a year later after having the table, I'd do it exactly the same way again."

I hear ya on the hitting the center pocket but it does matter in a skill test because if the ball doesn't go down, it costs you a point. I wanted my table to be as tight as possible to hone my game but not sure that's exactly what's happening.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made my second attempt tonight. One thing is for sure, if I have want to really improve my score and get better, I'll need to play more than once a week.

Scored a 50 again

10 (YES A 10!!)

I did a recording, but my phone died after the 7th rack, so that's all that got recorded. It's 1 GB, so I'm currently converting it, and then will upload it so you can all laugh at me :)

I think my ball pocketing and shape is good enough to get in the low 40s, maybe high 30s, but I really need to cut down on the unforced errors. Which, like I said, is only going to happen if I start playing more than once a week.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I gave it a try and even filmed it. Unfortunately, I used a go pro (fisheye from a strange angle) so it's not the greatest footage and the camera died after 6 or 7 racks.

I did however score a 41. I did play over my head, but I think the rating system is way off. I'm a C+ player. I'll post the footage, maybe tonight.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rules:
1. Rack all 15 balls. Any order, but the 1 must be at the top, and the 15 in the middle.

Wasn't this originally 2 and 3 on the corners?

The 2 and 3 on the corners made the game tougher, but it's tough enough as it is.

I have to go get a bigger memory card for my camera - which is a still camera with movie mode. At decent quality, the video files are massive and I can't store them.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave it a try and even filmed it. Unfortunately, I used a go pro (fisheye from a strange angle) so it's not the greatest footage and the camera died after 6 or 7 racks.

I did however score a 41. I did play over my head, but I think the rating system is way off. I'm a C+ player. I'll post the footage, maybe tonight.

I heard you were an A Cleary? For real? Anyway I agree rating is way off. I scored a 46 and I'm also a C+.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard you were an A Cleary? For real? Anyway I agree rating is way off. I scored a 46 and I'm also a C+.

Would these ratings work?

0-20 Pro
21-30 A
31-40 B
41-60 C
61-70 D
70+ BANGER

The only scores that would change are yours and mine, which would go to a C ranking.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't this originally 2 and 3 on the corners?

The 2 and 3 on the corners made the game tougher, but it's tough enough as it is.

I have to go get a bigger memory card for my camera - which is a still camera with movie mode. At decent quality, the video files are massive and I can't store them.

It was and that's how I've been playing. However, as tough as it is, I took that out so people can rack everything but the 1 and 15 how they please.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did it again. 51. Yikes this drill is demanding. I wanted to quit after the third rack cause I knew the score would not be as good as my last time. But, once you start, you have to finish.

6, 4, 8, 5, 7, 4, 5, 5, 3, 4

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did it again. 51. Yikes this drill is demanding. I wanted to quit after the third rack cause I knew the score would not be as good as my last time. But, once you start, you have to finish.

6, 4, 8, 5, 7, 4, 5, 5, 3, 4

Have you played 9ball since doing this drill? After my 50 yesterday, I played a little 9ball. I wasn't getting out every time, but it seemed a hell of a lot easier.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Have you played 9ball since doing this drill? After my 50 yesterday, I played a little 9ball. I wasn't getting out every time, but it seemed a hell of a lot easier.

This game is particularly good to sharpen up your shotmaking.

I'm using the 10 ball magic rack and can say I'm getting a decent spread - that helps a lot.

This game is a nightmare on my ultra tight table.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This game is particularly good to sharpen up you're shotmaking.

I'm using the 10 ball magic rack and can say I'm getting a decent spread - that helps a lot.

This game is a nightmare on my ultra tight table.

I don't know if you watched any of my video, but if you're getting better spreads than me, than I'll need to get a MR.

I actually thought I was breaking them fairly decent yesterday.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't know if you watched any of my video, but if you're getting better spreads than me, than I'll need to get a MR.

Can I get a link to your video?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

If you're going to keep practicing this way, I would get a set of Magic Racks. You break harder than I do but I think I'm getting more consistent results with the MR. Mainly, you don't have to break super hard with the MR.

Joe T

rrrrrrrrrrrrr first time I got to play in a while, went in cold, got good spreads now racking any order (just 1 & 15 mandatory correct) and blewww around racks 7 8! Got a 19 with 1 rack sending me into a tizzy lol, turned a zero into a 4 from the 11 to the 15 lol The concentration factor is the nuts for self practice.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like this way of testing oneself. When you do (speaking for myself of course) traditional ghost practice, with only a single bih after the break, it's a different feeling. I think less pressure.

But here, you MUST pocket all 15 balls, no matter how many BIHs it takes. Your mind can't "quit" as easily.

It's like if you are losing a race to 7, 6-0, you just want to lose the next game and go home. You don't want to win and be forced to endure the agony longer. Going home is like the regular ghost. Forcing the agony is like this multiple BIH version ghost of this thread.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would these ratings work?

0-20 Pro
21-30 A
31-40 B
41-60 C
61-70 D
70+ BANGER

The only scores that would change are yours and mine, which would go to a C ranking.

I'm just gonna go ahead and change to these ratings. Won't change any current rankings except mine and iusedtoberich.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like this way of testing oneself. When you do (speaking for myself of course) traditional ghost practice, with only a single bih after the break, it's a different feeling. I think less pressure.

But here, you MUST pocket all 15 balls, no matter how many BIHs it takes. Your mind can't "quit" as easily.

It's like if you are losing a race to 7, 6-0, you just want to lose the next game and go home. You don't want to win and be forced to endure the agony longer. Going home is like the regular ghost. Forcing the agony is like this multiple BIH version ghost of this thread.

I know exactly what you mean about playing the regular ghost.

This really does force you to bear down each and every rack. I also like the straight pool element in that you're constantly trying to beat your highest score.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just gonna go ahead and change to these ratings. Won't change any current rankings except mine and iusedtoberich.

They are definitely closer. But now, you have 2 letters you have to jump over to make your goal;)

Maybe we don't even need ratings? Do it like the straight pool thread, its just the number of the high run, or in this case, the number of BIH's.