2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the most exciting World Pool Championship I've ever sweated as a virtual railbird. From the beautiful venue at Targi Kielci in Kielci Poland to the children wearing red and white rooting for their home team pros to listening to calm music in the background while the matches are in progress to even Matchroom's signature water bottles by the player's corner. This was a first-class production, and I am totally impressed and in awe to see pool shine so brightly.

Best of all, I have learned about some new players. Yes, seeing Shane Van Boening lose on the hill-hill was disappointing to me as an American. I always root for my home team. It does seem that some of the player that attended the Derby City Classic and then flew to Poland were not as sharp as they usually are in such a high-profile pool championship.

I'm really enjoying Muhammad Soufi from Syria. He shoots pool fast and furious like it's league night and he's shooting on a bar table. Something about this kid has my attention.

329583282_566758158834083_2340809703989346023_n.jpg

I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for Mario He after he was sanctioned by the WPA for taking his blood pressure medicine. Yeah, yeah, I know the whole story and don't want to go through it again, but the way he took it on the chin, never talking smack about WPA, and then playing in as many events as he could, to include here in USA, I like that guy a lot. If he wins, I'll be happy. He's a real trouper and very much liked by his peers. He really is a teddy bear aka "The Panda."

329518614_928909351618940_8014282803671784556_n.jpg

I don't know much about Wu Kun-lin from Taiwan, though I tried to read up on him. Matchroom didn't seem to give him much publicity as they did the other competitors on Facebook. He's soon to be 29 this month and plays right-handed. Never underestimate the power of our Asian contingent of pool players.

66.jpg

And Francisco Sanchez Ruiz had a banner year in 2022, and it looks as if he's hitting 2023 with the same power. He's the one to watch. If I was an odds maker, I'd have him as the favorite to win. I never tire of his enthusiasm.

329325409_1414697402690398_6954879605323006192_n.jpg

This is, by far, the best World Pool Championship—heck, best pool event I've ever seen. I can't wait to see who wins. Whoever Taka Images is, these photos he took for Matchroom really capture the spirit of the entire event. Viva la Poland!

328461891_1253834378824157_7029325254772249464_n (1).jpg

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Whoever Taka Images is, these photos he took for Matchroom really capture the spirit of the entire event
It is Taka Wu standing behind the photo camera for MR events recently. Yes, the pics are colorful. That said, I miss the time when it was JP Parmentier doing this job for MR. He's been also responsible for the artwork of all the banners for their announcements back then.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soufi's pace is very entertaining, but he's certainly someone that could benefit from taking just a little more time on the tougher shots.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I also love Winner Breaks and watching players string racks. So many people complain and yet take a look at all the 11-10 matches and great comebacks.
Yeah, MR seemed to come out with a positive. That's in regard to the 9-ball break, where the shot does not decide the outcome to such an extent as a break with no restrictions. Even with a template players don't get a roadmap that often. Which brings more actual play to the game, not just a runout contest (which started to be boring to the majority of viewers recently).
Under this format a 5-pack would be a rarity. And personally I like that. Stringing 'em together is nice, but I adore the playability we get now. Oh, if only that was 10-ball, lol. And bring back original ball colors (hopefully Fatboy's grapevine brings some good news 😉)

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Rack 13 of the Wu vs Soufi semi got a short close-up of the chalk cube Wu Kun Lin uses. It must be made either in China or Taiwan, and most notable about it is the color - it is purple! 😈

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He beat Mika 11-10 and Mika didn't even bother getting out of his chair to shake his hand.
That's unfortunate. I remember a tournament, think it was Orcollo playing Mario He. After Mario finished the winning rack Orcollo stood up clapping his hands and came to shake his hand. Left me with a real positive impression of Orcollo.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have to leave the house for a couple of hours, does anyone have a link to a stream to watch the finals?

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have to leave the house for a couple of hours, does anyone have a link to a stream to watch the finals?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
You can watch at any of the links below, and there are usually three different streams to try within each of the links so if one isn't streaming perfectly there are lots of others available and most are going to work perfectly.

Millions of people use these sites every week without problem, and I and others I know have used them for many years without problem. That said, last year somebody on here said they got a virus from one of them. My thoughts are that if you aren't internet illiterate and have a good antivirus/antimalware (and a pop up blocker would be nice to have too, everybody should have one anyway) and don't do stupid stuff like click on the pop ups to go to whatever other pages they are going to take you to (it is safe to click on the "x" to remove them but don't click on the body of any pop up overlays), then you will never have any problems, but use at your own risk.