2024 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started up with my straight pool league again. I ran both a 33 (new high run for the year) and a 31 today against the top player in the league (and still lost going to 150). It's amazing what staying down will do. 603 Fargo.
Where is this played at and who is the top player?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
9th of April had a brief encounter with a pool table. Tried out a 31" CF shaft for sh*ts and giggles and ran a 50. Not bad, maybe have a chance to play 14.1 again this year for second time! :rolleyes:
Edit: no Fargo rating available

Last edited:

vincett

52 Ball Run on my new rubber flooring. Trying to reduce foot pain.

Foot’s pains is very very real. I can’t tell howmuch I have suffered during 3 weeks without these tiles. I saw them at Costco and bought them enough to lay in the floor similarly. I also bought an indoor slipper pair as well. I couldn’t believe how much it hurts during those last 3 weeks with 2-3 hours a day. It is crazy , I thought I developed “gout”

Oikawa

Did a 41 yesterday, that's my new record. Ended up missing with the CB being frozen to another ball and being jacked up in an uncomfortable position due to that, those are very tough for me, gotta practice them more.

soyale

ran 28 again today. been stuck in the second rack for 2 or 3 years now and i’ve been starting to wonder if maybe i’m just never going to get better at pool!

ran into my keyball. ran into my break ball. tensed up on the stroke and missed the break ball.

Ive been noticing lately that i tense up a lot. i dont know if it has anything to do with the fact that my grip hand is (i believe) way way too loose. if i squeeze any harder i steer the cue. been trying really hard to slow my play down and accelerate through the ball.

Today was just such a day where i decided to work primarily on my mechanics instead of zoning out and hitting balls. missed a lot of easy ones since my attention was divided. after about an hour of this i ran this, just 1 off my high run.

i want to get better at pool. i play for an hour 4-5 times a week. i think i might have hit maximum plateau without either a total rework of my mechanics or devoting a lot more time. i guess its okay to just be thankful i’m able to play at all, and try to enjoy the game and the moment.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ran 28 again today. been stuck in the second rack for 2 or 3 years now and i’ve been starting to wonder if maybe i’m just never going to get better at pool!

ran into my keyball. ran into my break ball. tensed up on the stroke and missed the break ball.

Ive been noticing lately that i tense up a lot. i dont know if it has anything to do with the fact that my grip hand is (i believe) way way too loose. if i squeeze any harder i steer the cue. been trying really hard to slow my play down and accelerate through the ball.

Today was just such a day where i decided to work primarily on my mechanics instead of zoning out and hitting balls. missed a lot of easy ones since my attention was divided. after about an hour of this i ran this, just 1 off my high run.

i want to get better at pool. i play for an hour 4-5 times a week. i think i might have hit maximum plateau without either a total rework of my mechanics or devoting a lot more time. i guess its okay to just be thankful i’m able to play at all, and try to enjoy the game and the moment.
You may have a few small issues with fundamentals, etc. but should be able to run more balls anyway. I'd suggest walking the table more. Doing the brainwash drill an hour a week. Biggest things slowing you down are probably shot selection and a lack of imagination.
You seem to just go from ball to ball without putting much effort into the total picture. I know that's a little vague but don't have time right now.

soyale

You may have a few small issues with fundamentals, etc. but should be able to run more balls anyway. I'd suggest walking the table more. Doing the brainwash drill an hour a week. Biggest things slowing you down are probably shot selection and a lack of imagination.
You seem to just go from ball to ball without putting much effort into the total picture. I know that's a little vague but don't have time right now.

aside from me missing easy balls all the time (why i think my mechanics are holding me back), i think you nailed it.

a great deal of my runs end by missing the k2 because i have to struggle to get good on it. so i try to implement a k3 and same goes. i feel like my cue ball just sucks honestly lol. ive tried literally planning from k15 but that all goes out the window if you can’t stay in line.

the real bummer though is when i plan and execute everything and then just miss the k2/key/break ball for seemingly no good reason. I know that we all miss but whenever folks talk about a shot they are 99/100 or 9/10 i feel i cant relate because im capable of missing any given shot at any given time. maybe it really does all boil down to lack of focus.

I however dont know what you mean by lack of imagination. thanks for taking the time to respond, i really appreciate the input.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
aside from me missing easy balls all the time (why i think my mechanics are holding me back), i think you nailed it.

a great deal of my runs end by missing the k2 because i have to struggle to get good on it. so i try to implement a k3 and same goes. i feel like my cue ball just sucks honestly lol. ive tried literally planning from k15 but that all goes out the window if you can’t stay in line.

the real bummer though is when i plan and execute everything and then just miss the k2/key/break ball for seemingly no good reason. I know that we all miss but whenever folks talk about a shot they are 99/100 or 9/10 i feel i cant relate because im capable of missing any given shot at any given time. maybe it really does all boil down to lack of focus.

I however dont know what you mean by lack of imagination. thanks for taking the time to respond, i really appreciate the input.
You can start with a video by SSOP called linear thinking. It's one of his racks of the week. It might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
That's just the beginning. Every shot and position play you make has to have the most value possible. You have to refine your thought process to exploit that value.
As far as missing shots and lack of focus goes thats a very small part of your problem.
Take a look at a video called "Precision" by David Sapolis.

soyale

You can start with a video by SSOP called linear thinking. It's one of his racks of the week. It might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
That's just the beginning. Every shot and position play you make has to have the most value possible. You have to refine your thought process to exploit that value.
As far as missing shots and lack of focus goes thats a very small part of your problem.
Take a look at a video called "Precision" by David Sapolis.
i watched “precision.” couldnt find anything by ssop called linear thinking.

if missing hangers is only a small part of my problem i might be in more trouble than i think!

batmmann5

Just think you need to really examine the outcome of those last few balls. I think it was more reasonable to hit the key to the key ball softer and accept the shot in the far corner. It looked like a lot to ask to miss both balls and come through the window. It is hard to see, but I am going by what I see and the outcome of your missed breakball and again, what you tried didn't look likely. You overcut it and still hit the 2nd to last ball. Again, I think you take your medicine, hit it pretty soft with high inside and just try to clip the last ball. You do a lot right from what I can see. Surprised you haven't run 50 yet. If you haven't yet, I would suggest just watching a lot of straight pool too.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the fact that my grip hand is (i believe) way way too loose. if i squeeze any harder i steer the cue....
I think it's not a problem that your grip is too loose, but it is too open. I think there should be no daylight between the stick and your hand. Here's one way to get there: squeeze the cue as hard as you can -- white knuckle time. Then release all of the pressure/tension without changing the shape of your hand.

In your shot sequence (some say "PSR"), you do not approach the shot along the shot line consistently. Get your head in the right place before you step into the shot.

On a shot choice issue, on ball 15 you played with follow, and the cue ball kissed to above the corner pocket. You have to control where the cue ball lands on the cushion if it does land on a cushion. It didn't scratch only by luck. Either you have to play that shot with a different speed and follow, or you have to draw the ball. I think the standard advice when the cue ball is closer to the center of the table than the object ball is to draw it to avoid the scratch.