3 Foul Rule- yes or no

3 Foul Rule

  • yes- I prefer to play that way

    Votes: 82 80.4%
  • no- I don't prefer to play that way

    Votes: 20 19.6%

  • Total voters
    102

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing a lot of people lately that don't want to use the 3 foul rule.
I personally like it, but I'm curious how every one here feels.
 
I've been playing a lot of people lately that don't want to use the 3 foul rule.
I personally like it, but I'm curious how every one here feels.

My guess is that those people don't know how to kick and forgot their jump cues at home. :p
 
I play a 9 ball tourney every sat and these guys adhere to it. I could care less. Myself and one other guy, he knows who he is. He drinks buckets of Molson Canadian like I do, hes a good guy and is there for the fun and beer.
The rest of them think they're Earl and Johnny. Right Chad?
 
In my own opinion, it is just another BCA rule that favors the better player. Butterflycues

...isn't that the idea? The whole point of the game is to make it so the skilled player has the edge, otherwise what's the point? The better player should always win, otherwise we might as well go play poker.
 
YES!!
And should be added to 8ball as well (like some pro events do)
 
I got three-fouled in the last 10-ball tourney I played in- I can't wait to get somebody else by doing it to them.:grin:
 
rules

...isn't that the idea? The whole point of the game is to make it so the skilled player has the edge, otherwise what's the point? The better player should always win, otherwise we might as well go play poker.

Wasn't the designed to pocket balls? I have seen games where only one ball was pocketed. This is why many spectators don't want to watch. Butterflycues
 
I know the majority of people seem to be fans of the 3 foul rule...but i can't seem to wrap my mind around someone being able to win by not getting out. Yes, playing safeties takes great skill - I won't deny this and no other half decent pool player will either. However, I believe the whole point of playing a great safety is so one can get BIH, and control of the table - and use it to get out...that to me is the way the game should be played. I absolutely agree that safety-play is an art in itself, but to me it is a tool that should be used to get control of the table, make balls - AND GET OUT!
 
Wasn't the designed to pocket balls? I have seen games where only one ball was pocketed. This is why many spectators don't want to watch. Butterflycues

Woah. You are way out in left field with that. First off, RARELY does a 3 foul victory occur. On the occasion that it does, I find it quite interesting to see it play out since (at a high level) it can be extremely difficult to pull off. You make it sound like the 3 foul rule is the demise of pool as a spectator sport LOL.

Prime example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9y8Lv_A1s

Did everyone get up and leave after seeing that? :)
 
I would actually prefer to go back to the old days, two foul ball in hand. A shot makers hayday. In my region unless it is a tourney the games are played no roll out, no three foul, any motion foul ball in hand. I do fine with the three foul rule as it requires fore thought and could be intimidating to the faint of heart.
 
The ONLY way to play.

A great safety is a thing of beauty, especially when they are so many jumpsticks these days.

They can be as tough, (or tougher) than a great shot.

And when you put three of them together.....you deserve the win.
 
the three foul rule adds another dimension

The three foul rule adds another dimension to the game. Although I rarely use it I do like having it.

Hu
 
No and I kick like a mule. It's a chicken-shit way to play. But, then, I'm sure most here are familiar with my views on the current 9 ball rules.
 
This came up a couple of days ago.....I don't like it.....it reminds me of the guys that would fire the cueball into the corner pocket to scratch any time you were on the 8 and it was in the kitchen in bar rules....

Agree with what others have said....rotation is pocket billiards, not play safety billiards....and for the record, I can appreciate a well played safe....
 
Pushout said:
No and I kick like a mule. It's a chicken-shit way to play. But, then, I'm sure most here are familiar with my views on the current 9 ball rules.

This came up a couple of days ago.....I don't like it.....it reminds me of the guys that would fire the cueball into the corner pocket to scratch any time you were on the 8 and it was in the kitchen in bar rules....

Agree with what others have said....rotation is pocket billiards, not play safety billiards....and for the record, I can appreciate a well played safe....

LOL? So there shouldn't be any safety play in 9 ball? Such a poor mentality to have with the game when a well executed kick-safety is one of the best shots in pool.

I guess if you don't get it ya just don't get it *shrug*
 
I strongly prefer the 3 foul rule. It adds a very deep level to a game of 9ball and allows someone (such as my self) who can't always run out, a chance to at least bury the ball and make the opponent think a little. Although having to say "you're on 2 fouls" seems very a-hole ish to me, I get why we do it.
 
The 3 foul rule is one of the only things that makes the boring game of 9ball remotely interesting.

but hey, let's compare apples to oranges. 14.1 has a 3 foul rule although it's not a loss of game it still delivers a heavy penalty and adds another dimension to the game.
 
Back
Top