sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
All this red tape and crap for professional pool players who are lucky if they can earn 20 grand a year. It's ridiculous.

Mario He was taking a blood pressure medicine: "It’s unreal and like a nightmare, which I will never forget in my life. I have high blood pressure, which I have had since a young age and my mum has it as well. I got a medicine which was not on the doping list. However, it didn’t work and we changed the pill. The new medicine had the same name just with a Plus on it, so that‘s why I was not concerned about it."

This entire saga is sickening. These poor guys can't even earn a decent living, and they have a doping entity running around like the secret police ready to pounce.

Good grief!

Agreed that it is sickening. A strong case can be made that pool should not require compliance with WADA going forward.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Pool is a legitimate sport.

So should only sports that make their contestants tons of cash be required to perform doping tests?

Ps, my personal opinion is that anyone can take whatever they want. No testing in anything.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you believe pool is a legitimate sport?

It never will be if we just turn a blind eye to players that use drugs to gain an unfair advantage.

Not saying that's what Mario was doing. 99% sure he was, as you were saying, just taking the medication for his high BP. That doesn't change the fact, however, that beta blockers could still give him an advantage. Nor does it change the fact that Mario took a banned substance without requesting a medical exemption.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can pool not be a legitimate sport? It requires tremendous control of the body. It requires tremendous control of the mind.

It is organized. Yes, really. It has international competitions. It has national competitions. It has regional competitions. It has local competitions.

Pool Id say is in a much better place than many other sports.

Don’t compare it to Football (either type). Instead compare it to Louge or Racketball.

Then see who comes out on top.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this red tape and crap for professional pool players who are lucky if they can earn 20 grand a year. It's ridiculous.

Mario He was taking a blood pressure medicine: "It’s unreal and like a nightmare, which I will never forget in my life. I have high blood pressure, which I have had since a young age and my mum has it as well. I got a medicine which was not on the doping list. However, it didn’t work and we changed the pill. The new medicine had the same name just with a Plus on it, so that‘s why I was not concerned about it."

This entire saga is sickening. These poor guys can't even earn a decent living, and they have a doping entity running around like the secret police ready to pounce.

Good grief!

So, you prefer everyone having to dope to level the playing field over everyone not doping to level the playing field?

The guy shows no signs of trying to control the condition through diet and exercise: Medication isn't meant to be a substitute for discipline and effort?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you prefer everyone having to dope to level the playing field over everyone not doping to level the playing field?

The guy shows no signs of trying to control the condition through diet and exercise: Medication isn't meant to be a substitute for discipline and effort?

There are MANY fat professional pool players who are legends. Being overweight should not be a requirement to be a professional pool player. He's not joining the military.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are MANY fat professional pool players who are legends. Being overweight should not be a requirement to be a professional pool player. He's not joining the military.

I don't think this word means what you think it does.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t be so hard on the guy for taking blood pressure meds. It’s arbitrary to say that age 35 it’s inexcusable, but at age 65 it’s par for the course. And I’m a health nut.

Although, one relevant part to him being out of shape and requireing meds, is that in most other sports, the body is well developed from a muscular standpoint. So those athletes are probably less likely to take those same meds... and extending on that thought, if they are in shape and are taking it, it might very well be to mask something else.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t be so hard on the guy for taking blood pressure meds. It’s arbitrary to say that age 35 it’s inexcusable, but at age 65 it’s par for the course. And I’m a health nut.

Although, one relevant part to him being out of shape and requireing meds, is that in most other sports, the body is well developed from a muscular standpoint. So those athletes are probably less likely to take those same meds... and extending on that thought, if they are in shape and are taking it, it might very well be to mask something else.
He's only 25.

If I were him, I'd be more concerned about this doctor who allegedly changed medications with no explanation or the explanation that it's the same stuff with a "+" tacked onto the name.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even age 25 is arbitrary. There are 12 year olds that are type 2 diabetic. It’s just the way it is when people don’t prioritize their health. An athlete is no different. But usually because most sports require lots of strength or endurance, so the sport actually takes care of the body composition. Pool has a greater share of out of shape athletes due to its limited body movement.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good grief!

So much caterwauling over something He did to himself.

He knew the rules. He broke the rules. He pays the price. End of story.

And so drug testing is perhaps a start for pool to emerge from the dark ages when pool players would visit their pool room pharmacist to get their mixture right before a big match.

Lou Figueroa

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And so drug testing is perhaps a start for pool to emerge from the dark ages when pool players would visit their pool room pharmacist to get their mixture right before a big match.

Lou Figueroa

I agree with your post in general but perhaps would have worded it differently.

Mario changed his medicine to another one with the same name but a plus added at the end. It seems common sense would tell you it has something added in it and would make sense to check out what exactly what that something added was.

It seems the Europeans take pool more seriously than Americans do thus the drug testing. Perhaps their seriousness is one of the reasons they fare better in the cup than we do.

Many on here have said they wish pool was an Olympic sport and drug testing may be one way of legitimizing our sport towards that goal..

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with your post in general but perhaps would have worded it differently.

Mario changed his medicine to another one with the same name but a plus added at the end. It seems common sense would tell you it has something added in it and would make sense to check out what exactly what that something added was.

It seems the Europeans take pool more seriously than Americans do thus the drug testing. Perhaps their seriousness is one of the reasons they fare better in the cup than we do.

Many on here have said they wish pool was an Olympic sport and drug testing may be one way of legitimizing our sport towards that goal..

yes. Maybe "caterwauling" was a little over the top :)

And also yes, I do believe the Europeans (and perhaps the rest of the world), take pool much more seriously, what with more organization, events, camps, coaches, and so-on-and-so-forth. We've become something of a backwater in this country when it comes to pool on at international level.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It has national competitions. ...
... except that in the US the national governing body has not yet figured out that they are supposed to be running national championships. And confederational championships. And act as an organization that has player members and trains referees, and ....

Maybe that's part of the reason the US is becoming less and less relevant in this discussion.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

actually, i think he has lost some weight the last year or two, he used to be bigger.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... except that in the US the national governing body has not yet figured out that they are supposed to be running national championships. And confederational championships. And act as an organization that has player members and trains referees, and ....

Maybe that's part of the reason the US is becoming less and less relevant in this discussion.

Bingo! Tap, tap, tap!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Poppycock!