6/30/2010 new 5 veneer JOEL HERCEK

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got this beauty in. I am definately going to be playing with this one. I may play like crap.....but I will look sooooo good just holding this hot looking piece of lumber....LOL Heres Joels description of the cue.

Hercek
Fine Billiard Cues

6/29/2010

Several years ago Steve approached me about a 5 veneer cue I built back in 1995, it had Brazilian Rosewood points with black, blue, orange, green and white veneers. I told Steve that this was the only 5 veneer cue I’ve built and it also was the only time I used point wood from Burton Spain. Back is the late 60’s and early 70’s, Burton Spain made Blanks for George Balabushka, a few of those blanks had 5 veneers. These were very rare. These particular pieces of wood were machined slightly different then Burt’s standard four veneer blanks. The prong cuts were wider to accommodate the 5 veneers. Steve asked me if I would build him one of the 5 veneer cues, I agreed and this is the result.

This cue’s point wood and handle wood was machined by Burton Spain, the point stock was to be used for a blank for George Balabushka, however not all the stock was used and I acquired these in the purchase of Burt’s business back in 1993. The veneers and nose of this cue along with everything else was built by me. The cue’s veneer colors are black, blue, orange, green and white. This cue begged for a traditional design so I did my notched Ivory diamonds as a foundation but I inlayed some Gold diamonds into the notched Ivory diamonds to modernize the look. I felt the gold would complement the Rosewood quite well. This was the first time I inlayed into my notched diamonds. The cue has an Ivory joint along with an Ivory butt cap with the engraving of “Hercek/Spain“.
I wanted to include Burt in the engraving since this was his Rosewood point wood. Another first was the Elephant Ear wrap, I thought this piece of Elephant Ear matched the cue’s color perfectly. The cue weighed in at 19.8 oz, some of the weight can be attributed to the gold and the 4.35 oz shafts. This is my second and last 5 veneer cue I will build, I had a lot of fun building this cue and it brought back many good memories of my time with Burt. I hope you enjoy the cue, I thought it hit damn good.

Sincerely

Joel Hercek

1352 Armour Blvd. Mundelein, IL 60060 847/680-7498 phone 847/816-6333 fax
www.hercek.com joel@hercek.com

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
That is a fantastic cue and - no surprise - Joel's description points out the traditional and modern blend perfectly.

I really like the veneer colours as I have seen those in person ;) Blue and black looks cool next to each other and also from far it's not a giveaway that it has 5-veneers: you have to know what to look for and that's what I like. :)

I am kind of sure that it hits a ton and it's great to read that you'll play with it. Joel did a great job on this one keeping it traditional but definitely not old-fashioned. Add the full-splice construction to this lot and you have a great, great cue :)

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks to everyone...Joel deserves the nice words. I will let you know how it plays in a few days

cuemasterpieces

When a man loves a woman
Silver Member
Ok Steve thats it .. i am jealous :thumbup:

Love just any little Detail :thumbup:

Thats a KEEPER

Thanks for sharing

Berny

PS: Nice pics btw :)

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very classy

Love everything about the cue. You picked up some great cues this week. Can't wait to see what arrives next week ;)

pooldogue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget "Monster" you got yourself a "GIANT there Steve.... What an absolute beauty.......:)

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Veneered points are my favorite part of cue design and this Hercek looks great.

James

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be having a hell of a week...

Holy smokes this is a killer cue. The wood has such depth. The veneer work is flawless as expected. The inlays are a very nice twist on Joel's classic design element. This cue I really, really like.

Thank you for sharing as always,
Chris

P.S. - Please let me know how your August looks for a visit?

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be having a hell of a week...

Holy smokes this is a killer cue. The wood has such depth. The veneer work is flawless as expected. The inlays are a very nice twist on Joel's classic design element. This cue I really, really like.

Thank you for sharing as always,
Chris

P.S. - Please let me know how your August looks for a visit?

thanks to everyone. Chris I will give you a call

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve,

YOWZA!!!!

That is one amazing cue, and a great piece of history. I like Joel's comments, too.

Congrats on a great new addition to an already amazing collection!!!!

Sumet1

++Rosewood Burl++
Silver Member
Hercek Rosewood Five Veneer Masterpiece

WHAT A SPECTACULAR CUE!!!!! I am a huge Rosewood Fan and Collector, mostly Brazilian, and this cue is one of my absolute favorites. Steve, Congratulations on another fantastic cue for your Collection. And Joel, you made this cue "Rock"!!! For me, like no other cue you have made. What makes this cue "Special" is including a credit to Burton "Spain" with your logo. Is the elephant ear wrap dark brown or black? Can't tell from the photos. Paul Del Giudice

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One for the ages... definitely. I'm sure it'll play great for you. Joel does a lot of incredible work, but I think this is the epitome of where he is & where he's from. State of the art in modern quality, and the art of class in design.