70 ball run

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Damn, Jim! Great work. :thumbup:

You know what is just around the corner, don't you? :grin-square:

Nice move to get on the first break ball, by the way. ;)

I have one more rack to watch on the way home today.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats, Jim! "70" is getting into that territory where you're really threatening that 100 milestone -- just a couple more racks, and you're there!

Keep it up!
-Sean <-- another one I missed when I was in Dallas a couple weeks ago!

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. After the run, I was waiting anxiously for the video to upload so I could watch it and confirm that it was 70 and not 56. I lost count during the run.

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Nicely done, congrats on your new high run! The last rack end layout was tough - you worked it out but got too straight. Great ball pocketing during the whole 33 min.

Doesn't it just make your stomach twist into knots when you miss a break ball? I can barely stand the feeling when a run ends like that...after all the effort to get so close to the next rack. Your last one was tough, had to slam it to get some balls loose so no shame in the miss on your end, I'm just saying in general I feel it's a horrible way to end a run, just demoralizing for me especially if it happens more than once in a practice session(and a killer in a comp. game).

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run. I watched about half of it. I assume you don't mind a couple of questions and comments from the peanut gallery?

At 1:39 you were shooting a ball that looks like maybe the 12. What was your plan for the cue ball on that one?

What were you trying to do with the cue ball at 16:24 when you were shooting the 8 ball?

You tend to stand up during your follow through on harder hit shots. If it works for you then great. You seem to shoot well like that but it makes me a little nervous.

Thanks again for posting.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run. I watched about half of it. I assume you don't mind a couple of questions and comments from the peanut gallery?

At 1:39 you were shooting a ball that looks like maybe the 12. What was your plan for the cue ball on that one?

What were you trying to do with the cue ball at 16:24 when you were shooting the 8 ball?

You tend to stand up during your follow through on harder hit shots. If it works for you then great. You seem to shoot well like that but it makes me a little nervous.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks. Don't mind at all.
At 1:39 I wanted to get above the 10-ball to go into the 5-1-11 cluster and have the 7 for insurance. I over shot it so I played the 7, 10 then went into the cluster off the 11.
At 16:24, I wanted to come up on the left side of the 9-ball and play the 9 then 2 and come across for position on the 8 for the break ball. Instead as you can see, I played terrible position and had to cut the 2 really thin since I didn't like the 9 first. It was definitely a poorly played out pattern, and not the only one.

I have noticed that I sometimes stand up on those long shots. I guess I'm just anxious to see the outcome, but of course that is a terrible excuse and bad fundamentals.

Thanks for the comments and for watching.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks. Don't mind at all.
At 1:39 I wanted to get above the 10-ball to go into the 5-1-11 cluster and have the 7 for insurance. I over shot it so I played the 7, 10 then went into the cluster off the 11.
At 16:24, I wanted to come up on the left side of the 9-ball and play the 9 then 2 and come across for position on the 8 for the break ball. Instead as you can see, I played terrible position and had to cut the 2 really thin since I didn't like the 9 first. It was definitely a poorly played out pattern, and not the only one.

I have noticed that I sometimes stand up on those long shots. I guess I'm just anxious to see the outcome, but of course that is a terrible excuse and bad fundamentals.

Thanks for the comments and for watching.

I just watched the first 2 racks, so far so good. I'll watch the rest in the morning. !!!

congrats on a new personal best and thanks for sharing !

-Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

Really nice run. That run had 100 written all over it. It's a shame it ended. Just a little off on position to the key shot, which lead to being off on the break shot. BUT.... they all end one way or another. Good work Jim. I can tell that you will soon be a memeber of the "100 Club".

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Jimboooh ;-)
Great job buddy.
I will watch the run these days. Until then: congrats for completing level 5 :)

Lg
Ingo

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jim:

*Very* nicely done! And congratulations on your new high run!

I have to say, the closing moments of that first rack were very unconventional. Would you mind if I offered a suggestion? In that first rack, at about 3:48 with four balls left on the table:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDUazRcds7E#t=3m48s

...you shot the 14-ball into the upper righthand corner and left yourself with a severe angle on the 10-ball in the lower righthand corner. You made the thin slice on the 10-ball and the cue ball obviously took off, overrunning position on the 9-ball keyball in the side, where you had to do a little bit of cue ball gymnastics (severe low/inside english to check off of the rails) to get position on the 15-ball break ball.

The better shot, at 3:48, was to take the 10-ball into the lower righthand corner with just a touch of inside english, and drift the cue ball towards the gap between the 14-ball and the 15-ball. From there, you would've had a stop shot on the 14-ball in the side, a stop shot on the 9-ball in the other side, and be perfect on your 15-ball break ball.

Just a different/simpler way to view that pattern, to make it easier on you the next time you see it. But obviously, you made some great shots, ended up perfect on the break ball, so it's moot.

Again, congrats on a new high, and I know there's a 100 around the corner for you!

-Sean

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
What are we doing?????

I think that we are building up this guy too much....... Did we all forget that I still have to play him again.....

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
potting the 14 is fine

I have a new personal best high run of 70.

http://youtu.be/pDUazRcds7E

There are many people willing to critique your game here on this forum, I would say that there is nothing wrong with your shot on the fourteen around 3:48. You just did not draw the cue ball enough, the shot only requires a little draw ( two or three inches) not a severe draw stroke - but remember the rooms humidity plus how well insulated it is has a huge impact on how much the low spin will activate on the white ball. It does look like the table plays wet which makes it more difficult to break out the rack and draw the cue ball. If I am feeling confident and conditions are somewhat dry - I always play the fourteen - this does not mean it's the best shot for anyone else and Sean's ten is the more conservative approach, I support the right but I'm leaning to the left:), no really congratulations on the 70 and I viewed most of it I would suggest a pro instructor on shots your having difficulty with.

Last edited:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim:

*Very* nicely done! And congratulations on your new high run!

I have to say, the closing moments of that first rack were very unconventional. Would you mind if I offered a suggestion? In that first rack, at about 3:48 with four balls left on the table:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDUazRcds7E#t=3m48s

...you shot the 14-ball into the upper righthand corner and left yourself with a severe angle on the 10-ball in the lower righthand corner. You made the thin slice on the 10-ball and the cue ball obviously took off, overrunning position on the 9-ball keyball in the side, where you had to do a little bit of cue ball gymnastics (severe low/inside english to check off of the rails) to get position on the 15-ball break ball.

The better shot, at 3:48, was to take the 10-ball into the lower righthand corner with just a touch of inside english, and drift the cue ball towards the gap between the 14-ball and the 15-ball. From there, you would've had a stop shot on the 14-ball in the side, a stop shot on the 9-ball in the other side, and be perfect on your 15-ball break ball.

Just a different/simpler way to view that pattern, to make it easier on you the next time you see it. But obviously, you made some great shots, ended up perfect on the break ball, so it's moot.

Again, congrats on a new high, and I know there's a 100 around the corner for you!

-Sean

Thanks for compliment and the suggestions. I too didn't like how I ended up playing the out pattern in the first rack. I certainly see what you're saying about playing the 10 first but as Danny says above, all I needed was a little more draw. And that's how I wanted to play it but didn't get any draw. I believe what I was thinking at the time was to minimize cue ball movement. I also thought that if I were to play the 10 first I would probably would prefer to play the 14 in the upper left or lower left corner pockets so I would have a larger window of position for the cue.

After that out I would have never thought that I would have gone on to run four more racks.

Thanks again.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many people willing to critique your game here on this forum, I would say that there is nothing wrong with your shot on the fourteen around 3:48. You just did not draw the cue ball enough, the shot only requires a little draw ( two or three inches) not a severe draw stroke - but remember the rooms humidity plus how well insulated it is has a huge impact on how much the low spin will activate on the white ball. It does look like the table plays wet which makes it more difficult to break out the rack and draw the cue ball. If I am feeling confident and conditions are somewhat dry - I always play the fourteen - this does not mean it's the best shot for anyone else and Sean's ten is the more conservative approach, I support the right but I'm leaning to the left:), no really congratulations on the 70 and I viewed most of it I would suggest a pro instructor on shots your having difficulty with.

Thanks a lot Danny. My game room does tend to be on the warm side. And worse still my 860 cloth doesn't play that fast even when it is very dry.

I've been thinking about some professional instruction on and off for years. Do you see something specific in my game or shot making that you're thinking about or just some professional instruction in general?

Thanks again for the compliments.

Jim