8-ball with 21 balls

wbweld0

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sometimes like to add "obstacle" balls to the table (2 or 3) to have extra traffic for learning position routes. Pros could add the 6 extras, break the full rack, spot any extras made, and play 9 ball from there! Complicates the break and the runout... might be a fun train wreck to watch!
As for the original idea, it would be interesting for sure!

This is what I was originally thinking would be a good practice tool to place the extra balls out there just as blockers. I would place them on the table and then break up the rack and see what clusters are there.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I think a good name for this game would be "21-8" or "Legal in all States-8" Maybe we can vote on a name for this game, any thoughts?
---Bill

If you ever wanted to use it as THE professional game you need to use a simple, non-convoluted name.

21-ball works.

11-ball works, as if you made a set of balls for this specific game the number 11 ball would be the game ball with the 1-10 being the solids and the 12-21 being the stripes.

In truth if they ever made a set of balls for this specific game with the intention of trying it out as a pro game I would highly recommend going to a single black ball, 10 red balls, and 10 yellow balls. It makes it even easier for the general public to understand. The game could simple be called "black ball" as it is the game winning ball.

I would also guess that racking the 8 on the spot might end up being the best place to rack the balls as it would lead to alot less cluster at the lower portion of the table. With those 6 extra balls you are going to have alot of collisions of balls at the lower end of the table and your average game will end up with ~7 balls above the center sides and ~14 balls below. With the 8 racked on the spot the balls will spread more evenly across the whole table on a well struck break.

angldemn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game of 8-ball needs no solid/striped balls, just 7 balls of one solid color and 7 balls of a different solid color (say 7 red and 7 blue balls). For this new format where 21 balls are used, I would use 10 red balls and 10 blue balls and a solid black ball for the game-winning ball. I would call the game "Black-ball". Put the black ball in the normal position in the rack but put it on the spot when racking. Same basic rules as a normal 8-ball game (if there is such a thing :D). I think this game on a 9-footer would make the game a bit tougher for the worlds' best players. On a barbox, I would think it would be significantly tougher.

Good thread with LOTS of good ideas!!!

Maniac

That would make calling shots a little tougher. "Red ball corner pocket." Also I'd hate to be the guy with blue balls.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In truth if they ever made a set of balls for this specific game with the intention of trying it out as a pro game I would highly recommend going to a single black ball, 10 red balls, and 10 yellow balls. It makes it even easier for the general public to understand. The game could simple be called "black ball" as it is the game winning ball.
It would be easier, but the practical problem (as mentioned in the previous post) with 10 reds and 10 yellows is that you pretty much have to make it a slop game like 9-ball. Calling shots would be difficult to enforce. (EDIT: How does it work in English 8-ball?)

I guess you would still have the problem if you use another set of normal pool balls since in many instances you'll be forced to say "That 9-ball, but not that 9-ball, in the corner pocket." Lol.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ever wanted to use it as THE professional game you need to use a simple, non-convoluted name.

21-ball works.

11-ball works, as if you made a set of balls for this specific game the number 11 ball would be the game ball with the 1-10 being the solids and the 12-21 being the stripes.

I would also guess that racking the 8 on the spot might end up being the best place to rack the balls as it would lead to alot less cluster at the lower portion of the table. With those 6 extra balls you are going to have alot of collisions of balls at the lower end of the table and your average game will end up with ~7 balls above the center sides and ~14 balls below. With the 8 racked on the spot the balls will spread more evenly across the whole table on a well struck break.

I think you would still want to call it 8 ball of some sort. Since this is the game that everybody knows. Plus, 8 ball has sort of been weaved into the fabric of our society - sort of. You know with "Being behind the 8 ball" and all that.

How about Elite 8 Ball?

I like all your other ideas. I don't think the issue with calling the ball and the pocket is that big of a deal. How about you just have to call the pocket? How often are you really going to slam into 5 reds and hope 1 of them falls into the called pocket? Not very often and if by chance an unintended ball falls into your pocket - oh well. That may add just a bit of excitement.

I still haven't tried this out. In my head it has some potential. You certainly wouldn't have any problems with soft breaking....or would you??? That would definitley have to be illegal.

Celtic

Silver Member
The called ball issue would be fairly moot on a 10-foot table with 4 1/8th inch pockets at the pro level in races to 11 or more.

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should try the old fashion way.
Winner break and see how many racks you can run without missing.
I know that requirts a good break too !!
You just might find 15 balls are enough on any size table.
If you want a real challenge play 8 ball on 2 1/2 X 5 bar box if you can even find anymore, there used to be one at Ann's New Mo in Oakland ,Ca.

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
Hey, thanks for trying it out. I would have tried it out myself if I had an extra set of balls, which I don't. With the balls you included in those pics, the name that I proposed earlier "Blackjack 8-ball" goes perfectly with it. ;)

That's a good possibility...

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
Might be time to fork over a Bill or two and get yourself some new chalk. :thumbup:

I've been known to cut the wrapping off the side of the chalk myself so I can continue using it. Although I don't think I would take one of those pieces with me when I venture off to the pool hall.

Not to worry, I only use them at home. I usually keep my chalk pretty fresh when I'm out...

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member

21-ball works.

Maybe number each color 1-10 with 8 still being black and in the middle.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
It would be easier, but the practical problem (as mentioned in the previous post) with 10 reds and 10 yellows is that you pretty much have to make it a slop game like 9-ball. Calling shots would be difficult to enforce. (EDIT: How does it work in English 8-ball?)

I do believe that slop does count in English 8-ball.

I guess you would still have the problem if you use another set of normal pool balls since in many instances you'll be forced to say "That 9-ball, but not that 9-ball, in the corner pocket." Lol.

I didn't think of that. That part is a challenge. Love those poker balls. I can hear it now... "King of clubs in the side."

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing I think blows with red and yellow balls for tv is the commentators can't say, "I would shoot the 7, 13, 5 then the king of clubs then the money ball".

They would have to say, "I would shoot the red down by the bottom right corner then the red that's a little bit closer to the center of the table than the other red, then that one red that's tied up to the other red closest to us..."

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The thing I think blows with red and yellow balls for tv is the commentators can't say, "I would shoot the 7, 13, 5 then the king of clubs then the money ball".

They would have to say, "I would shoot the red down by the bottom right corner then the red that's a little bit closer to the center of the table than the other red, then that one red that's tied up to the other red closest to us..."

Commentators????? Pool on T.V.???? You're kidding, right????

Maniac (NOT holding his breath :sorry:)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Many complain that 8-ball on a 9-foot table is too easy for the pros. To an extent, I agree. Some suggest playing it on a 10-foot table would be better. However, I feel doing so takes away from the strategic aspect of the game since less clusters would form. 8-ball on a barbox does enhance the cerebral part of the game since things are tighter, but pool on a 7-foot table just takes too much away from the shot-making aspect of the game.

So here's the proposed solution for champion-level 8-ball. Keep it on a 9-footer, but simply add more balls. Adding 6 additional balls (3 solids, 3 stripes) would definitely make things tougher and more interesting. Who says that have to play pool with a maximum of 15 objects balls on the table? Let's throw that restriction out the window.

I'm sure I'm not the first who thought of this. Anyone try playing 8-ball with 19 or 21 balls?

8 ball with 19 or 21 balls?

This is new math to me lol:p

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
21:8

Just had another thought about the rack on a game of 8:21 (or 21:8, not quite sure which name has a better ring to it yet), I also happen to have a giant 9 Ball type diamond shape rack that my Dad made back in the 60's or 70's for the 21 ball Poker set (I'm going to try to find the rules for poker pool online too, unless someone has a copy on this site :wink:), I'm gonna give that racking method a shot after work tonight to see if they spread any better on the break. I know I'll have to put the 8 on the spot with the diamond rack, but I will try it both ways to see which way breaks better. With the triangle rack, you really have to hammer the break shot, and still can't get them to spread well on my little 6 footer. I also have to try putting the 8 on the spot, rather then the apex ball on the spot. Anybody out there think we have something here?

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
No luck on finding any information for my 21 ball set of Poker Balls or rules of play for this set. Any suggestions?

Celtic

Silver Member

Comentators get WAY too much into the arm chair quarterbacking crap like that already. They need to stop trying to "explain" to the people watching how to play the game, what balls should be shot when. In snooker you don't hear the commentators try to break down the whole rack from the break through to the last bloody black, but in pool the commentators just love to do that.

Let the professional player show the people watching how to run the rack, they don't need a commentator sitting in a booth to take his shot at guessing the way the pro is going to get out so they can look all smart. Let the pros play the game and let the fans watch it being played.