8-ball with 21 balls

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried something like this with a friend a few weeks ago. (9 foot gold crown, tight pockets)

We checked out two ball sets and racked up all 30 balls. We used our arms to form the top sides of the triangle and a cue held over the rails (parallel to the short rail) to hold the base of the triangle in place.

It's tough, 14 stripes and solids, with two 8 balls out there....Runouts were possible, but difficult. It's enough of a difficulty spike that having an extra 8 ball is almost necessary. (What if one is tied up with 10 of your opponent's balls?)

It was fun, but too much hassle to rack, so we only played four or five games. As a side note, breaking that monstrous rack was very different. It's a lot more mass to move around than normal, so you really have to ramp up the power.
WOW 14 stripes and solids??? You guys have extremely too much time on your hands!!

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
Sounds like fun! I'm going to try it tonight on my 6' table, talk about some clusters! I have a rack for poker pool that holds 21 balls. Then Sunday, I'll try a few games with my team on an 8 or 9 footers just for schitz & giggles. :yes:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I am still very interested in seeing normal 15 ball 8-ball played on one of the new Diamond 10-foots with 4 1/8th inch cut pockets by two top professionals (hopefully on TAR). I think clusters would still be an issue to a degree on a table like that, albeit obviously less so then on a bar box.

But, 21-ball (new name because it is clearly a new game) would be pretty interesting to see as well on a 10-foot Diamond table with the same 4 1/8th inch pockets as well.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Alternate break has taken away from pro billiards. You would see golf go flat on its face if they said we will alternate tee shots.

Why? Having the honor on the tee does not alter the dynamics of a match nearly as much as having the break does in pool. In fact, most golfers play ready golf off the tee, even in a match. And on the PGA Tour, where almost every event is contested at stroke play against the entire field, having the honor on the tee is largely meaningless.

Last edited:

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
8-ball Style Cut-Throat

I know the OP was in the context of the pros, but some of these ideas sound cool and I wanted to add mine; 8-ball Style Cut-Throat.

For three players.
Three groups of balls, 7 balls in each group: solids, stripes, and "whites".
The "whites" group consists of 6 plain cue balls and the 8-ball.
For the actual cue ball, use a Pro Cup/measles ball.

Basically play this game like regular 8-ball with the difference being that each person has their own "final" ball. For solids it's the 7. For stripes it's the 15, and for whites, it's the 8.

The usual rules for hitting your own group of balls first, and contacting a rail still apply (after all this is about making it more challenging and/or improving your skills).
The usual rules for "call ball" vs. "call shot" still apply.
The usual rules for "cue ball fouls only" still apply

When racking, one final ball goes in the middle of the second row, one 2nd from the left in the 5th row, and one 2nd from the right in the 5th row, rack all other balls completely at random (or evenly distributed, whatever).
Table is always open after the break (that rule makes even more sense in this game).
Groups are determined in the usual way.
Scratch on break gives ball in hand anywhere on the table to the incoming player.

Pocketing any of the three final balls on the break is not a win. Spot only the "final" balls and keep shooting.

None of the following are loss of game, but all are fouls. In these situations, spot the final balls pocketed (in numerical order if more than one) and give ball in hand to the incoming player.

Pocketing your final ball early.
Pocketing any of the wrong final balls.
Pocketing your final ball in the wrong pocket.
Pocketing your final ball and scratching.

This is just off the top of my head, did I miss anything? This sounds like fun to me, I want to give it a try soon as I can.

Fatz

Last edited:

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I sometimes like to add "obstacle" balls to the table (2 or 3) to have extra traffic for learning position routes. Pros could add the 6 extras, break the full rack, spot any extras made, and play 9 ball from there! Complicates the break and the runout... might be a fun train wreck to watch

I like this idea too. Rack all 15 balls and play 9 OR 10 ball from there. You'd have more obstacles, but you would also have more balls to play from creatively. You could carom off an extra ball to pocket a ball.

And the rule could be that you keep shooting if you make ANY ball, so you could use combos and billiards to pocket an extra ball and keep shooting. This could remove an obstacle AND allow you to keep going on the run. In a way it could make it easier at times, but you did pocket extra balls to get there. But with the extra obstacles, I'm assuming it would still be tougher overall.

I wouldn't spot extra balls made on the break, but that's a minor point.

Got to try this too.

Fatz

Richm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about playing with 21 balls and the additional six balls could be red ball that dont need to be made they ae just to add traffic. play regular 8 ball.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about playing with 21 balls and the additional six balls could be red ball that dont need to be made they ae just to add traffic. play regular 8 ball.
This could work as well. Though, the practical problem with this variation is that you need to find another 6 balls that don't resemble the other balls (red in your example). If you play it as described in the OP, then all you need are two sets of balls.

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
True Bill-Leaver (pronounced Believer)

Well, after great anticipation (in reading this post) to get home after work & the gym, dinner, mail, shower, etc., I tried it on my little 6 foot table last night, and it really added a new dimension to ordinary 8 Ball. I used my regular 15 balls, which I always rack exactly the same way (so I know what ball is going where), added 3 solid black Poker balls and 3 striped black Poker balls to the last row of 6, and I switched out my regular 8 Ball for a White 8 Ball so it wouldn't be confusing with the black Poker balls I was using. I only played 5 racks, but really want to try it with some of my friends and teammates. Very difficult to get a shot after the break because of all the traffic on my small table. The second game I played, I made 2 solids on the break and could have easily run out if I didn't Bill-Leave myself!!! (A "Bill-Leave", self-named by me & for me, is when you run out to, or almost run out to the 8 ball, but leave yourself hopelessly hooked! I'm the best there is at it!!!:grin:). So, if you get a good shot after sinking a ball or 2 on the break, it's very possible to run out if you're not me, even on a very small table. It was fun, frustrating and challenging! Can't wait till Sunday when I can play on a bigger table with other people. I think a good name for this game would be "21-8" or "Legal in all States-8" Maybe we can vote on a name for this game, any thoughts?
---Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 911

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, after great anticipation (in reading this post) to get home after work & the gym, dinner, mail, shower, etc., I tried it on my little 6 foot table last night, and it really added a new dimension to ordinary 8 Ball. I used my regular 15 balls, which I always rack exactly the same way (so I know what ball is going where), added 3 solid black Poker balls and 3 striped black Poker balls to the last row of 6, and I switched out my regular 8 Ball for a White 8 Ball so it wouldn't be confusing with the black Poker balls I was using. I only played 5 racks, but really want to try it with some of my friends and teammates. Very difficult to get a shot after the break because of all the traffic on my small table. The second game I played, I made 2 solids on the break and could have easily run out if I didn't Bill-Leave myself!!! (A "Bill-Leave", self-named by me & for me, is when you run out to, or almost run out to the 8 ball, but leave yourself hopelessly hooked! I'm the best there is at it!!!:grin:). So, if you get a good shot after sinking a ball or 2 on the break, it's very possible to run out if you're not me, even on a very small table. It was fun, frustrating and challenging! Can't wait till Sunday when I can play on a bigger table with other people. I think a good name for this game would be "21-8" or "Legal in all States-8" Maybe we can vote on a name for this game, any thoughts?
---Bill
Hey, thanks for trying it out. I would have tried it out myself if I had an extra set of balls, which I don't. With the balls you included in those pics, the name that I proposed earlier "Blackjack 8-ball" goes perfectly with it. ;)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
---Bill

Might be time to fork over a Bill or two and get yourself some new chalk. :thumbup:

I've been known to cut the wrapping off the side of the chalk myself so I can continue using it. Although I don't think I would take one of those pieces with me when I venture off to the pool hall.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The game of 8-ball needs no solid/striped balls, just 7 balls of one solid color and 7 balls of a different solid color (say 7 red and 7 blue balls). For this new format where 21 balls are used, I would use 10 red balls and 10 blue balls and a solid black ball for the game-winning ball. I would call the game "Black-ball". Put the black ball in the normal position in the rack but put it on the spot when racking. Same basic rules as a normal 8-ball game (if there is such a thing :D). I think this game on a 9-footer would make the game a bit tougher for the worlds' best players. On a barbox, I would think it would be significantly tougher.

Good thread with LOTS of good ideas!!!

Maniac

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
---Bill

Serious Howard Stern shrine you got there on top of your ball rack.

Richm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could work as well. Though, the practical problem with this variation is that you need to find another 6 balls that don't resemble the other balls (red in your example). If you play it as described in the OP, then all you need are two sets of balls.

This would create a new product for the billiard industry.