8 players at Grady's event??

Grady

Pro Player
Yes, the field was that small

Sorry. We scheduled our event almost a year ahead of time and Mike Janis ans Shannon Daulton went ahead and scheduled right over us. I didn't want it this way but if they want to play hardball? Mike juggles the numbers and is far too aggressive a promoter. Shannon is spoiled, selfish, greedy and dishonest.
We are just a small business trying to make it. I think they were way out of line. Also, while I'm at it, these regional tour events are not a good deal for the room owners.
That's all I have to say. In the future we'll try to talk with quality tournaments.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Grady said:
Sorry. We scheduled our event almost a year ahead of time and Mike Janis ans Shannon Daulton went ahead and scheduled right over us. I didn't want it this way but if they want to play hardball? Mike juggles the numbers and is far too aggressive a promoter. Shannon is spoiled, selfish, greedy and dishonest.
We are just a small business trying to make it. I think they were way out of line. Also, while I'm at it, these regional tour events are not a good deal for the room owners.
That's all I have to say. In the future we'll try to talk with quality tournaments.

Dear Professor,

I'm sorry the field at your event wasn't what you had hoped to attract.

A question, if you permit: do you sincerely believe your personal comments about the promoters of other events (that took place at the same time or around your event's time) were warranted?

As someone (who has not yet had the pleasure of meeting you but hopes to one day) who loves pool and reveres you as a living legend, it is my heartfelt desire that a charitable response from you will be forthcoming.

Respectfully,

Flex

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Flex said:
Dear Professor,

I'm sorry the field at your event wasn't what you had hoped to attract.

A question, if you permit: do you sincerely believe your personal comments about the promoters of other events (that took place at the same time or around your event's time) were warranted?

As someone (who has not yet had the pleasure of meeting you but hopes to one day) who loves pool and reveres you as a living legend, it is my heartfelt desire that a charitable response from you will be forthcoming.

Respectfully,

Flex
It was a childish, retaliatory statement against those who (in his mind) wronged him in some way. This is becoming an all too familiar stance from Grady and one that is not going to garnish him any favor form players or the promotors that he is in "competition" with.

Grady, I have always liked you and wished you well but you just keep digging and digging and........

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm sure the the two tours that put on events the same weekend as Grady's tournament cost him a few players. I think it was just as much the $125 entry fee that kept just as many back. Also most of the top players were at Turning Stone.

But as I said a few weeks ago in another thread, sponsors were hard to get to put up more than $2000, now with the economy in the toilet big time there are far fewer. If pros want to see $10000 to $25,000 events they are going to have to fund them themselves with entry fees. Maybe pay deeper down, I don't know if that would be good or bad.

Even though I think Grady's very small turnout was a fluke, a perfect storm if you will, he or no one else can take many hits like that. It seems like there are going to be more and more pros starting tours in the near future which only mean over lapping tournaments will even happen more.

I myself don't see how most of these pro run tours are worth playing in for most. In most of them the pro is taking down a lot of the purses for the year. They make the rules, so if their best game is 9-ball that's what's played on their tour. If the don't have a good break, it's alt. break.

Anyhow the pros have to step up and use some of their own money to fund tournaments. That's how I see it. Johnnyt

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
turning stone was also going on right after Allens tournment up north, too many events, too few players. then with $639.oo/gallon gas its expensive to go anywhere, why leave a big city burn u $50 in gas, motel to play a tournment when there are ones closer to home. Grady just fell on bad luck, Competion is wawlys gonna be there so if you want to survive you have to offer more,

$$$ in troubled times finds its way to the best deals.

I wish that every tournment this past weekend was over booked and turning down players, how good would that be?? I bet we would have more pool rooms etc. The promoters are only part of the problem, the real problem is too many events and not enough players and until we can get more people into pool, not bangers but dedicated players were gonna see terrible turnouts. Look at Allens million dollar shoot out, he promote the hell out of it and got 12 players, gready got 8 WOW 20 players in 2 tournments, thats terrible.

and I doubt many of the players in Mike's or Shannons tournments would have played in Gradys tournment, the pool of players isnt what it was, there are more things to do now days and people have different interests. Perhaps this is the end of the pool era in America, 8-trac tapes are history, drive in movies are gone-now we have Net Flix. Pool will awalys be around in bars and a few rooms in areas that have a good pool player population. But the numbers dont lie, 2 champions promoting for a year to get 20 players man thats tough action,

mapman72

Grady's

Sorry to hear about the weak turnout, Grady. My daughter lives in Columbia, SC and I have been through town many times over the last year. I stop in your pool hall each time and I love playing on the tight diamonds in the front room. I have each of your events on my calendar, but what I am finding is that with summer vacation, travel expenses, and my job, I just haven't had time to make it down there. I think there are a bunch of people like me, that plan to come but then something always comes up. At any rate, I really love your pool room. If I could offer one observation, the room tends to get very smoky on weekend evenings. For me and others who have had health risks associated with secondhand smoke, I would like to see some nice smoke eaters or better ventilation. I have been there during the day before when less people were there and the smoke hasn't been a problem. Hang in there and I will be stopping in a few times this fall.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Charlie Hustle said:
Gas was down to $3.35 last night here in Houston. I hope it keeps going down like this.

Yeah, I can't wait for it to be $3 a gallon. That'll be really cheap. :rolleyes:

JoeyA (glad it is coming down too...)

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Don't the Vikiing Tour and GSBT have tournaments almost every weekend. To complain that they scheduled on top of his is ridiculious.

Other things he stated might be true about the Viking tour but the scheduling argument holds no weight.

MikeJanis

Banned
Grady said:

Grady, a high entry fee, no money added event, with very little advertisement. Honestly, how many players did you expect?

As a note in the future, most regional tours in you area do not even consider looking for NO Money Added events as competition for our events (exceptions = league playoffs, etc..). If fact there are sooo many of these types of events every week that it would be impossible to not schedule tour events on top of them. This rule is regardless of who the director is.

Last weekend your event had this much competition + there were many monthly $1,000 added events (Like, The Hole Thang in Macon) and the APA nationals on top of these to. Also, this is just the tip of the Iceberg when it comes to events. We tracked over 15 additional events with money added that are not even listed here.

from the AZbilliards.com Tournament Calendar:

Independent Event
2008 Canadian National Cue Sport Championship
Snooker and Sports Club
Toronto, Ontario Canada
August 14 - 24, 2008

Independent Event
Grady's 9-Ball Open
Grady's
Lexington, SC
August 15 - 17, 2008
803-957-7665
Entry $125, played on 9ft tables-9ball (payout $10k based on 70 players)

NWPA
The Parlor
Bellevue, Wa
August 16 - 17, 2008
425-289-7000
WPBA Qualifier

Ladies Spirit Tour
Florida State Ladies Championship
Capone's Billiards
Spring Hill, Fl
August 16 - 17, 2008
352-688-9965
$1,000 added

SE Open
The Pechauer Mississippi Open
Skeeter's Billiards
Gulfport, MS
August 16 - 17, 2008
228-897-1234
$1,500 added
$1500 total guaranteed added: $1000 added open; $500 added amateur/semi-pro second chance tourny Sunday only
For more info: contact venue and speak with Ricky, Andy or Colleen

Great Southern Billiard Tour
Open Event
King Street Billiards
Fayetteville, NC
August 16 - 17, 2008
910-425-7665
$2,000 added
$2000 added guaranteed main event, $250 added second chance tourney (with 16 players, Sunday only)
For more info: Shannon Daulton (865) 850-4572

Independent Event
Second Annual Big Box Summer Series Event No 3
Colorado Cue Club
Northglenn, CO
August 16, 2008
303-450-7665
$750 added
8-ball event
Entry fee $30 (+15 green fees)
www.coloradocueclub.net

OB Cues Ladies Tour
Fast Eddie's Billiards
College Station, TX
August 16 - 17, 2008
979-260-9264
$2,000 added
WPBA Qualifier

Gateway Amateur Tour
Tour Stop
Baxter?s
Fairview Heights, IL
August 16, 2008
618-355-9940
$300 added
handicapped 8-ball event

Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Side Pocket
Marietta, GA
August 16 - 17, 2008
770-425-1101
$2,500 added
Amateur Event, Entry $60
Races 7W/7L, winner breaks
$2500 guaranteed added
Start time: 12pm

International
WPA-Blackball World Championships
Swaziland
August 16 - 23, 2008

KBP Fury Florida Amatuer 9-Ball Tour
Strokers Billiards
Palm Harbor, Fl
August 17, 2008
727-786-6683
$500 added
9-ball event

Now, as far as your statement of "Also, while I'm at it, these regional tour events are not a good deal for the room owners".

Grady, you are an ASS. I did your Grand Opening Event and we added $2,000 to that event. We had a special deal on that event and I only did that because you were one of the 1st Pro's I ever met that took anytime to talk to me when i was coming up. I know you don't remember but it was at the AOP in Cleveland, OH and after your exhibition your were doing $5 challenge games and if the opponent won they received a Polaroid picture of you and that player. I still have my picture, at least until I can find my lighter.

On your GRAND OPENING EVENT at Grady's I promised you that it would not cost you a penny. And when I was there we were standing in the doorway between the rooms talking and going over everything and you told me, "Mike, you did a good job, we had a nice event and you were at the minimum, EVEN with all expenses". At that time we shook hands on a deal well done and I offered you, in fact I insisted and left a present for your new room just to be a part of something and add to your decor. remember the Big 8-Ball.

AND, remember my Nationals and SCO events. I always paid to have you come to the events including entry fees, lodging and meals. Even after all that you found a way to ***** because it didn't go Grady's way. Heck, in 2003 when we brought you to Cleveland on that PAID 1W, 2L performance of yours all you did was complain about how the Video guys (Joe Kerr, Aaron Czetli, Eshelman and myself) didn't invite you to announce the matches. In fact you made a complete ass of yourself right there in Northfield Billiards in front of paid spectators. You were going off about how you were the best and nobody is worthy of doing the commentary here but you and etc..., etc,, I was embarrassed that it was I that paid for you to be there.

Now, you get on here and say it is not a good deal and Mike Janis this and that.

Stick it buddy, have a nice day and good luck in the future. You need it more that most just to make up for your personality.

Yours Truly,

Mj

Last edited:

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shannon and such.......

Grady,

You are held in the most prestigious light when it comes to pocket billiards and everything that has transpired in you lifetime that has to do with this sport. So, I ask, why bash others that try and support this game we love. I agree all of these tours and tournaments do make it tough to compete. If you ask me, the real problem is when they came up with amateur pool leagues years ago. Had it not been for these childish leagues, there would not be this overwhelming competition to promote pool in a deceiving manner. However, this day and age it is all that we have to hold on to, and it is not very reputable for someone who promotes pool to speak in such a manner as you have about others that are in your business. Where do those types of statements take us?

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Grady, a high entry fee, no money added event, with very little advertisement. Honestly, how many players did you expect?

As a note in the future, most regional tours in you area do not even consider looking for NO Money Added events as competition for our events (exceptions = league playoffs, etc..). If fact there are sooo many of these types of events every week that it would be impossible to not schedule tour events on top of them. This rule is regardless of who the director is.

Last weekend your event had this much competition + there were many monthly $1,000 added events (Like, The Hole Thang in Macon) and the APA nationals on top of these to. Also, this is just the tip of the Iceberg when it comes to events. We tracked over 15 additional events with money added that are not even listed here.

from the AZbilliards.com Tournament Calendar:

Independent Event
2008 Canadian National Cue Sport Championship
Snooker and Sports Club
Toronto, Ontario Canada
August 14 - 24, 2008

Independent Event
Grady's 9-Ball Open
Grady's
Lexington, SC
August 15 - 17, 2008
803-957-7665
Entry $125, played on 9ft tables-9ball (payout $10k based on 70 players)

NWPA
The Parlor
Bellevue, Wa
August 16 - 17, 2008
425-289-7000
WPBA Qualifier

Ladies Spirit Tour
Florida State Ladies Championship
Capone's Billiards
Spring Hill, Fl
August 16 - 17, 2008
352-688-9965
$1,000 added

SE Open
The Pechauer Mississippi Open
Skeeter's Billiards
Gulfport, MS
August 16 - 17, 2008
228-897-1234
$1,500 added
$1500 total guaranteed added: $1000 added open; $500 added amateur/semi-pro second chance tourny Sunday only
For more info: contact venue and speak with Ricky, Andy or Colleen

Great Southern Billiard Tour
Open Event
King Street Billiards
Fayetteville, NC
August 16 - 17, 2008
910-425-7665
$2,000 added
$2000 added guaranteed main event, $250 added second chance tourney (with 16 players, Sunday only)
For more info: Shannon Daulton (865) 850-4572

Independent Event
Second Annual Big Box Summer Series Event No 3
Colorado Cue Club
Northglenn, CO
August 16, 2008
303-450-7665
$750 added
8-ball event
Entry fee $30 (+15 green fees)
www.coloradocueclub.net

OB Cues Ladies Tour
Fast Eddie's Billiards
College Station, TX
August 16 - 17, 2008
979-260-9264
$2,000 added
WPBA Qualifier

Gateway Amateur Tour
Tour Stop
Baxter?s
Fairview Heights, IL
August 16, 2008
618-355-9940
$300 added
handicapped 8-ball event

Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Side Pocket
Marietta, GA
August 16 - 17, 2008
770-425-1101
$2,500 added
Amateur Event, Entry $60
Races 7W/7L, winner breaks
$2500 guaranteed added
Start time: 12pm

International
Swaziland
August 16 - 23, 2008

KBP Fury Florida Amatuer 9-Ball Tour
Strokers Billiards
Palm Harbor, Fl
August 17, 2008
727-786-6683
$500 added
9-ball event

Now, as far as your statement of "Also, while I'm at it, these regional tour events are not a good deal for the room owners".

Grady, you are an ASS. I did your Grand Opening Event and we added $2,000 to that event. We had a special deal on that event and I only did that because you were one of the 1st Pro's I ever met that took anytime to talk to me when i was coming up. I know you don't remember but it was at the AOP in Cleveland, OH and after your exhibition your were doing $5 challenge games and if the opponent won they received a Polaroid picture of you and that player. I still have my picture, at least until I can find my lighter.

On your GRAND OPENING EVENT at Grady's I promised you that it would not cost you a penny. And when I was there we were standing in the doorway between the rooms talking and going over everything and you told me, "Mike, you did a good job, we had a nice event and you were at the minimum, EVEN with all expenses". At that time we shook hands on a deal well done and I offered you, in fact I insisted and left a present for your new room just to be a part of something and add to your decor. remember the Big 8-Ball.

AND, remember my Nationals and SCO events. I always paid to have you come to the events including entry fees, lodging and meals. Even after all that you found a way to ***** because it didn't go Grady's way. Heck, in 2003 when we brought you to Cleveland on that PAID 1W, 2L performance of yours all you did was complain about how the Video guys (Joe Kerr, Aaron Czetli, Eshelman and myself) didn't invite you to announce the matches. In fact you made a complete ass of yourself right there in Northfield Billiards in front of paid spectators. You were going off about how you were the best and nobody is worthy of doing the commentary here but you and etc..., etc,, I was embarrassed that it was I that paid for you to be there.

Now, you get on here and say it is not a good deal and Mike Janis this and that.

Stick it buddy, have a nice day and good luck in the future. You need it more that most just to make up for your personality.

Yours Truly,

Mj
It's true though... Grady is one of the best commentators. I think incardona and grady is the best commentator team.

MikeJanis

Banned
donny mills said:
It's true though... Grady is one of the best commentators. I think incardona and grady is the best commentator team.

Donny, I guess you had to understand the situation. You are a young Gun, does the name Joe Kerr mean anything to you ?

Anyway, I am not slamming you for your post or your opinion or the fact that yes, Grady is a good commentator. But to do what he did and embarrass Joe Kerr, who at the time had a traich tube and this weekend being only his 3rd time out of the house in 5 years back on the pool scene was - a - complete - disgrace - by - Grady.

It was sooo bad we had to ask Grady to leave the Pool room on Sunday when the final 6 matches were taking place and edit the coverage of the event to get his mouth out of the background which cost quite a bit in the editing room. Along with being upsetting to the event locations owner and the paid spectators. It's really a shame because we had the FRONT PAGE of the sports section in the Cleveland Plain Dealer Newspaper that Sunday and there were reporters and paid spectators on hand that day.

Who is Joe Kerr:

Billiards Promoter Joe Kerr Passes Away
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/index.php?s=kerr

Pool World loses Joe Kerr
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?id=5428

Mj

Last edited:

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Donny, I guess you had to understand the situation. You are a young Gun, does the name Joe Kerr mean anything to you ?

Anyway, I am not slamming you for your post or your opinion or the fact that yes, Grady is a good commentator. But to do what he did and embarrass Joe Kerr, who at the time had a traich tube and this weekend being only his 3rd time out of the house in 5 years back on the pool scene was - a - complete - disgrace - by - Grady.

It was sooo bad we had to ask Grady to leave the Pool room on Sunday when the final 6 matches were taking place and edit the coverage of the event to get his mouth out of the background which cost quite a bit in the editing room. Along with being upsetting to the event locations owner and the paid spectators. It's really a shame because we had the FRONT PAGE of the sports section in the Cleveland Plain Dealer Newspaper that Sunday and there were reporters and paid spectators on hand that day.

Who is Joe Kerr:

Billiards Promoter Joe Kerr Passes Away
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/index.php?s=kerr

Pool World loses Joe Kerr
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?id=5428

Mj
I wasn't standing up for anyone. I was just saying grady and a few others are great commentators.

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Don't the Vikiing Tour and GSBT have tournaments almost every weekend. To complain that they scheduled on top of his is ridiculious.

Other things he stated might be true about the Viking tour but the scheduling argument holds no weight.

Exactly. I have the utmost respect for Grady as a pool player but my God, he complains just as much as JOHN SCHMIDT. I wonder what happens to these guys when they get a bad roll!

UGA330

Registered
Here we go again!!!

THE WORLD IS AGAINST GRADY!!!! Enough is enough. Grady, I believe it is time you to look in the mirror to see your problem. There is no consipiracy against you. QUIT COMPLAINING AND JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE.

This complaining from him is almost getting sickening!!!!!!! I have yet to hear a positive statement from him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
International
Swaziland
August 16 - 23, 2008...
Honestly? I missed my own Title shot? To ride my bike? Great choice there, idiot.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
same old, same old.....

Attachments

• starswarsgrady.jpg
    starswarsgrady.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 681