A Big Thank You to sdbilliards

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Last week, Donny came and fixed my eight-month-old Gold Crown V Tournament Edition. The improvement in the table is remarkable.

To start with, just finding anyone willing to come up here in the middle of nowhere is difficult. I feel quite fortunate that Donny was willing to drive up here. He put in a very long day, but never rushed or cut corners; his only purpose throughout the day (and well into the night) was to make the table the best it could be. And I believe he succeeded. The fact that Donny is also a hell of a nice guy and it was enjoyable hanging with him while he worked is a bonus.

I had thought that the table was very flat and level, but after Donny fixed a slight crown in the head slate and releveled all the slates and the table, it was obvious that small imperfections have a big effect. I guess it's true that close only counts in horse shoes and grenades. Donny spent nearly as much time leveling the table as some "installers" will take for a complete table installation (okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but he did spend a very long time leveling the thing).

The pocket castings were all fitted properly. The pocket angles were corrected and new facings were installed to replace the Brunswick ball ejectors. When new, the corner pockets varied in size by more than an eighth of an inch, and the angles were not all the same. The side pockets were an eighth different at the points and a quarter-inch different at the throat. With the down angles way off spec, the side pockets were nearly unusable. When Donny was finished, I had 4-3/8" corner pockets and 4-7/8" side pockets that all play exactly as you would expect; no surprises. Excellent.

I had been unhappy with the cushions on the table, because they banked a little short. This was apparently due to the cloth on the cushions being just a bit loose, because with the new cloth installed, the banking is now perfect. Another bonus.

Now, it's like having a new and better table. I couldn't be more happy with the work that was done.

So, thanks again, Donny.

(I also posted this in the Main Forum for those who don't visit Talk To A Mechanic.)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Last week, Donny came and fixed my eight-month-old Gold Crown V Tournament Edition. The improvement in the table is remarkable.

To start with, just finding anyone willing to come up here in the middle of nowhere is difficult. I feel quite fortunate that Donny was willing to drive up here. He put in a very long day, but never rushed or cut corners; his only purpose throughout the day (and well into the night) was to make the table the best it could be. And I believe he succeeded. The fact that Donny is also a hell of a nice guy and it was enjoyable hanging with him while he worked is a bonus.

I had thought that the table was very flat and level, but after Donny fixed a slight crown in the head slate and releveled all the slates and the table, it was obvious that small imperfections have a big effect. I guess it's true that close only counts in horse shoes and grenades. Donny spent nearly as much time leveling the table as some "installers" will take for a complete table installation (okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but he did spend a very long time leveling the thing).

The pocket castings were all fitted properly. The pocket angles were corrected and new facings were installed to replace the Brunswick ball ejectors. When new, the corner pockets varied in size by more than an eighth of an inch, and the angles were not all the same. The side pockets were an eighth different at the points and a quarter-inch different at the throat. With the down angles way off spec, the side pockets were nearly unusable. When Donny was finished, I had 4-3/8" corner pockets and 4-7/8" side pockets that all play exactly as you would expect; no surprises. Excellent.

I had been unhappy with the cushions on the table, because they banked a little short. This was apparently due to the cloth on the cushions being just a bit loose, because with the new cloth installed, the banking is now perfect. Another bonus.

Now, it's like having a new and better table. I couldn't be more happy with the work that was done.

So, thanks again, Donny.

(I also posted this in the Main Forum for those who don't visit Talk To A Mechanic.)

Donny is a great mechanic, who only strives to become better and better all the time, and it's clear in the work he does...as his devotion to detail shines bright;)

Dartman

Silver Member
Lot of work for a GC-V.
Doesn't say much for Brunswick or whoever originally installed it.

The Turk

A Level Above Pool Tables
Silver Member
It's amazing Brunswick or the dealer dropped the ball on it's premier table. The fact that it had to be fixed is bad. What's worse is that it could be fixed and you had to reach out beyond Brunswick or the dealer for satisfaction. Good job Donny.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
It's amazing Brunswick or the dealer dropped the ball on it's premier table. The fact that it had to be fixed is bad. What's worse is that it could be fixed and you had to reach out beyond Brunswick or the dealer for satisfaction. Good job Donny.

Not sure that Howard ever tried to contact Brunswick about the problem. Anyways it gave me the opportunity to put Diamond's angles on them, which are better playing angles. Make no mistake, dispite the angle inconsistancy this is still a bad-ass table.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
I would expect nothing less from Donnie!
Great tables deserve great mechanics to straighten things out- good choice on both

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I bought the table from Jay Helfert, not from a Brunswick dealer (the nearest one is more than 150 miles from me). I didn't see any reason to contact Brunswick about the problems - I figured that if they would sell a table with cushions like that, they probably wouldn't be interested in doing anything about it other than saying, "It's all within spec." Besides, there's no way Brunswick would provide me with the kind of table I have now that Donny has worked it over.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Brunswick dealer in Mlps StPaul area is absolutely worthless when it came to a simple customer service call. Brunswick corp. in WI. on the other hand was top shelf in helping me with all questions.

When your the only dealer for a million people it is very easy to say your the best.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As Mark Gregory would say, we don't build the tables as mechanic's...as mechanic's we correct/repair/modify...what the manufactures didn't do right in the first place...that's...OUR job...as mechanics, if we're any good at our trade;)

Glen

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Brunswick dealer in Mlps StPaul area is absolutely worthless when it came to a simple customer service call. Brunswick corp. in WI. on the other hand was top shelf in helping me with all questions.

When your the only dealer for a million people it is very easy to say your the best.

peters ? they have the twin cities fooled that they are the best option

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
I know you probally feel the same way that I did after Donny finished my table. Donny is a top notch guy and loves his work. Post some pics up!!

OILED

Registered
donny the man

donny is the man.... had the pleasure of his expertise setting up my "acme heritage" 9 footer about a year and a half ago. had him install artemis cushions and simonis 860 cloth. we use the s#it out of it and it still rolls straight and has great playability. his workmanship and attention to detail is second to none. I am glad he gets recognized and praised for his skills as he truly deserves it

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
donny is the man.... had the pleasure of his expertise setting up my "acme heritage" 9 footer about a year and a half ago. had him install artemis cushions and simonis 860 cloth. we use the s#it out of it and it still rolls straight and has great playability. his workmanship and attention to detail is second to none. I am glad he gets recognized and praised for his skills as he truly deserves it

Joe, Nice to hear from you.Glad you table still playing good. I'm putting in some Diamond 9-foot tables at the OC Sports Grill, I will be running tournaments there. I let you know, hopefully you can come.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe, Nice to hear from you.Glad you table still playing good. I'm putting in some Diamond 9-foot tables at the OC Sports Grill, I will be running tournaments there. I let you know, hopefully you can come.

Donny-

Where is that room? Is that the only room in OC with 9 foot Diamonds?

You still hittem good or working too much to stay sharp?

Either way-Take care.

(met you at DK's several years back)

Craftsmanship combined with a generous attitude is always worthy of recognition.

scot n Texas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure that Howard ever tried to contact Brunswick about the problem. Anyways it gave me the opportunity to put Diamond's angles on them, which are better playing angles. Make no mistake, dispite the angle inconsistancy this is still a bad-ass table.

what does Diamond angles mean??