Advice for this 9-ball shot?

joey900rr

What 9-ball fell?
Silver Member
I had this nine-ball shot this past league night. Thought you guys could help. I know its a scratch, I'm just wondering how other people would play it. I really didn't know the best move so I tried the poke and hope method.
Didn't work and set it up for my oppenent. Thanks for any help

CueTable Help

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on you and your opponents skill level, but I'd either bank cross corner if I liked the bank, or play 2 rails into the other side with follow to leave an end to end if I missed.

td

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on you and your opponents skill level, but I'd either bank cross corner if I liked the bank, or play 2 rails into the other side with follow to leave an end to end if I missed.

td

i agree.

but based upon the EXACT placements of those balls, perhaps some extreme low might help you avoid the scratch. dunno, its hard to say from looking at it. but i'll take your word, it was no doubt a scratch shot.

DCP

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play safe, hit the 9 roughly straight where it banks up to the the end rail.

Try to get it frozen to the end rail so the opponent doesn't have a corner pocket to shoot the 9 in and the bank is difficult.

That would most likely give you another shot at the table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I had this nine-ball shot this past league night. Thought you guys could help. I know its a scratch, I'm just wondering how other people would play it. I really didn't know the best move so I tried the poke and hope method.
Didn't work and set it up for my oppenent. Thanks for any help

CueTable Help

I like the bank cross corner,hit it low-left with speed.
If you play the same bank long it will bank 4 rails safe...
force follow for the winning safety.

dorabelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try this 3 rails in the corner and let the cue ball go to the bottom rail for a safe if i miss.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Dorabelle's choice but one thing is sure. You could have taken ANY other shot then what you did and it would have been better.The worst possible thing you can do in 9-ball is give up ball in hand on the nine. Sound fundamental? What you did is akin to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 chamber revolver. Why the hell would you do it?????

themack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the balls are set up just like that in the diagram then just cut it right in the side. A lot of left spin will throw that right in.

joey900rr

What 9-ball fell?
Silver Member
I like Dorabelle's choice but one thing is sure. You could have taken ANY other shot then what you did and it would have been better.The worst possible thing you can do in 9-ball is give up ball in hand on the nine. Sound fundamental? What you did is akin to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 chamber revolver. Why the hell would you do it?????

I didn't scratch. I hit it dead on, but not hard enough because the cueball stayed on the rail and the nine lined right up for the shot in the opposite side.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advice on 9 ball shot

This looks like the shot made by Efren Reyes.
He jacks up and jumps into the 9 ball cuts it in the corner and the cueball goes airborne after hitting the 9 and hits the back of the pocket edge and back onto the table.
I have seen some good players try it but only Efren can make it so far.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This looks like the shot made by Efren Reyes.
He jacks up and jumps into the 9 ball cuts it in the corner and the cueball goes airborne after hitting the 9 and hits the back of the pocket edge and back onto the table.
I have seen some good players try it but only Efren can make it so far.

Here's a video demo of the "Efren approach:"

Also, here are two other alternatives that might also be possible, depending on table conditions and how close the OB is to the pocket:

Regards,
Dave

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This shot is deceptive - you really have to look close to see if it cuts into the side. It's worth practicing these but you have to be able to realistically judge the angle.

If it won't cut, there are three common safeties that can be shot - I will diagram them later tonight.

Chris

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the balls are set up just like that in the diagram then just cut it right in the side. A lot of left spin will throw that right in.

For sure. Speed control is important. A smooth stroke with soft speed will throw the 9 (left spin) into the pocket and send the cueball away from the scratch.

Dallas West showed me this shot in a tourney years ago. He cut the ball backwards and avoided the scratch.

Best,
Mike

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This shot is deceptive - you really have to look close to see if it cuts into the side. It's worth practicing these but you have to be able to realistically judge the angle.

If it won't cut, there are three common safeties that can be shot - I will diagram them later tonight.

Chris

Here are the best safeties, depending on angle and so forth - not too difficult to pull off:

1. 3 or 4 rail safety - center ball hit, let the cueball drift forward:

CueTable Help

2. Crossover double- bank safety, follow just under a half ball hit, with enough speed to bring the cue ball down table:

CueTable Help

3. Simple safe - just soft roll straight to the 9 ball, aiming to bank it at the first diamond past the corner to leave it like this:

CueTable Help

All three of these are going to leave a pretty good chance for you to get back to the table for the potential winning shot.

Chris

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
I don't play a lot of 9-ball - so I may be missing something obvious - but why not kick at it from the (top) long rail?

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
For most folks, that long kick would probably be about a 1 in 50 shot. The safety shots outlined are surely the smartest move but, unless there was big money involved, I would have to try to slice it in. :)

joey900rr

What 9-ball fell?
Silver Member
All three of these are going to leave a pretty good chance for you to get back to the table for the potential winning shot.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Chris thanks for the table layouts. Your first one was the one I actually tried but I stopped the cueball and didn't hit the 9 ball hard enough and ended up straight in the side. Won't do that again. Thanks again

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one kinda depends on the table conditions and exactly how it lies. But you might be able to try the bank in side and play the speed for a safety at the same time.

CueTable Help