Advice on pool tables

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I asked this in the pool table forum and nobody responded. LOL
So let me update it a bit and ask it in here.

So I am in need of some advice. I was originally going with a 9' Pro from Diamond in black with Dymondwood done in Oak, and I know that's my preference still.

However, the wife has it in her head she would like to use it as a table to entertain guest occasionally, and use it as a full blown dining table. I have found 3 decent options and need your opinion.

They are all found on blattbilliards.com

CARS-BAE
FRIEDMAN
SENCILLO

They are all 1" slate, and they can all be done in Oak which I like.
What I don't like is the price is from about 10k - 15k depending on the table I go with.

My question is does anyone know if they are decent tables? Has anyone played on any of those 3?

I also found one called vision billiards that makes it in 3/4" slate, but they use steel in the frame making an 8' table weigh about 1000lbs which was comparable to my 8' oak table weight with 1" slate. (and I am not talking the hydro leg one either! LOL I mean the fixed frame) So I am not sure if those would play any good. The price tag on the 8' 3/4" from vision billiards is $3700

Thanks for all advice.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean by "the wife would like to use it to entertain". If you mean a table that has some sort of conversion top to turn it into a buffet table, you could probably have one made for any table, including the Diamond.

The ones that convert to dining tables simply won't come close to the Diamond or a GC. But is your dining room even big enough for a 9 foot pool table?

Last edited:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dinner table

Yea, maybe I should have been more specific. She would like to be able to use it as a dining table when people are here, not a buffet table.

What I see with most people putting a top on their table is that you can't pull up a chair to it and eat very well. Not enough overhang or the skirt of the slate bed gets in the way of people pulling a chair up under.

So I was exploring options. LOL

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I wonder how that plays though? For it cranking down is it slate? Being made out of metal for the frame I could see how it would be as heavy or heavier than wood, but it's the play ability I am concerned about. I doubt they are going to play as good as a pool table strictly devoted to pool.

No combination solution will play like you want to. Buy a Diamond and tell people to eat on the floor.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was thinking about building a pool table that could double as a mini swimming pool for small kids in the summer time:thumbup:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If the pool table is standard height you'll find that a "dining top" makes it 2-3" higher than a standard dining table.

That doesn't sound like much but you (and your dinner guests) will notice it immediately...and it's not pleasant to feel like you're 10 years old again, sitting at Mom & Dad's table.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about building a pool table that could double as a mini swimming pool for small kids in the summer time:thumbup:

And this is what I needed to hear, and whom I needed to hear it from!
So I will stick with my original plan and buy a Diamond! LOL

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I asked this in the pool table forum and nobody responded. LOL
So let me update it a bit and ask it in here.

So I am in need of some advice. I was originally going with a 9' Pro from Diamond in black with Dymondwood done in Oak, and I know that's my preference still.

However, the wife has it in her head she would like to use it as a table to entertain guest occasionally, and use it as a full blown dining table. I have found 3 decent options and need your opinion.

They are all found on blattbilliards.com

CARS-BAE
FRIEDMAN
SENCILLO

They are all 1" slate, and they can all be done in Oak which I like.
What I don't like is the price is from about 10k - 15k depending on the table I go with.

My question is does anyone know if they are decent tables? Has anyone played on any of those 3?

I also found one called vision billiards that makes it in 3/4" slate, but they use steel in the frame making an 8' table weigh about 1000lbs which was comparable to my 8' oak table weight with 1" slate. (and I am not talking the hydro leg one either! LOL I mean the fixed frame) So I am not sure if those would play any good. The price tag on the 8' 3/4" from vision billiards is $3700

Thanks for all advice.

Get a new wife:)

But seriously, explain that dining at a pool table is a terrible idea. Wrong height, no
foot room, and on and on. Plus, how about when someone spills their wine or
chicken noodle soup onto the Simonis that will cost you $500 to replace.

Besides, if you are serious enough about pool, NO pool-and-dining option will be
acceptable to you.

RED FLAG warning. I have no idea how old you are, nor how long married, but
this sounds a lot like how a wife would deal with a situation where she does not want
a pool table in the house.

Dale

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Buy the wife a beautiful dining table of her choosing. then buy your Diamond table and live happily ever after.