Aiming Systems • THE COMPLETE TRUTH

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I like to extend the sides of the ferrule to include the entire side of the cue stick, right out to the contact point on the OB. See the line and approach your stance seeing that line, then stroke your cue so that the side of your cue runs along that line. Left side for cuts to the left, and right side for cuts to the right.

One of the most important aspects of this system is to remember to apply any english when you align and not afterwords.

I'm not sure what you mean by include the entire side of the cue stick, right out to the contact point on the object ball.......What portion of the cue stick?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I cannot learn anything without an actual instructor/teacher ON HAND to show me exactly what they are talking about. I do not learn well reading things in books, or through video. I need a live person there with me to "walk" me through the lesson and to answer the MANY questions I am going to have.

Knowing my nature of being a tightwad and will not pay large amounts of money for personal instruction, and coupled with the fact that I have a wobbly stroke that I cannot for the life of me fix, it is hereby my lot in life to remain a "C" player (on a good day :eek:) forever.

I do envy you people that have improved your playing abilities through the use of aiming systems. Although I do not believe these systems are right for everyone, I have no doubt that they are working in the lives of those who come on here and tell us of their positive experiences with them.

Keep the passion Joey! Thanks for all you do for the game. We need more like you!!!

Maniac

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
You re right Maniac-nothing works for all.

JoeyA is a real fanatic (positive :p). but for example: Any pivot-based system is for sure NOT easy to learn for a less skilled player or beginner- your setup for pivot-systems has to be perfect or you have a REAL problem.

lg
Ingo

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright I'll Play Along

JoeyA,

I'm not a hater...I'm really not....but the one thing that really puzzles me is - you are the CTE/Pro One #1 fan and you give rave reviews on it all the time. You say it has helped your game so much. If this is the case why would you ever need any other system???

I've heard the talk about double checking and all that. Well, that doesn't make any sense to me. If Pro One is all that, then why would you ever have to use another system to double check it? When I recently watched you play on a streamed match it appeared you were using all kinds of different aiming methods. This is very puzzling to me.

I'm really not trying to hate on Pro One. I really think that most guys that use a system stick with it. I would think this would be the way to go. I can understand tinkering around with different methods while on the practice table just to understand what people are talking about. But honestly, how many aiming systems should someone take into a match? If you need more than one, than I think they must all have limitations.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While watching Johnny Archer in the SBE tournament, I couldn't help but notice that on a relatively long shot with a 45% Johnny used a lot of side english (one tip). I thought to myself - what aiming system must he be using, and I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD. Yes, let me say that again: LAUGH OUT LOUD.

The key to shooting good pool, IMHO, is to visualize the shot before you get down. Since most of the time you are using english, you MUST feel the object ball into the hole. There is no other way to explain this.....and certaintly no aiming system. Then you 'step into the shot' placing your cue down the line you have envisioned, and BEFORE you do this you see the spot on the cueball that you are going to be hitting and make sure your tip is going there. That way it is no wavering about where to hit the cueball when you get down. There is no pivoting, which is riduculous. Just parallel english. I didn't see Johnny pivoting btw.

You are getting better despite yourself and your aiming systems because you are playing so much pool.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since most of the time you are using english, you MUST feel the object ball into the hole. There is no other way to explain this.....and certaintly no aiming system.

Someone has given you the wrong impression about aiming systems. The strength of pivoting systems includes the use of english. And gobs of it. I'm not sure why you or anyone would think differently. The term "back-hand english" comes from the same man who is the godfather of all of these systems: Hal Houle.

(And I'm not talking about how Johnny Archer aims or uses english since I have no idea what he does)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gordy VandeVeer has a new system out that is very good. He incorporates address, alignment & aiming into one VERY GOOD Program, for any player of any caliber.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While watching Johnny Archer in the SBE tournament, I couldn't help but notice that on a relatively long shot with a 45% Johnny used a lot of side english (one tip). I thought to myself - what aiming system must he be using, and I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD. Yes, let me say that again: LAUGH OUT LOUD.

The key to shooting good pool, IMHO, is to visualize the shot before you get down. Since most of the time you are using english, you MUST feel the object ball into the hole. There is no other way to explain this.....and certaintly no aiming system. Then you 'step into the shot' placing your cue down the line you have envisioned, and BEFORE you do this you see the spot on the cueball that you are going to be hitting and make sure your tip is going there. That way it is no wavering about where to hit the cueball when you get down. There is no pivoting, which is riduculous. Just parallel english. I didn't see Johnny pivoting btw.

You are getting better despite yourself and your aiming systems because you are playing so much pool.
I guess everyone should do it your way, I would hate for you to have to " LAUGH OUT LOUD" all the time.
Could you please explain "parallel english"?

champ2107

Banned
While I still believe everyone sees shots differently and all systems don't work for all people, the system Shane uses is the one I've preached for a long time. For those that see it ... it is precise, ( not a guestimate like an imaginary 2 1/4 inch ghost ball with a secondary imagined 1 1/8 center point, or an estimate on a quarter hit, half hit etc...) It is a definite aim point, with a definite aim line.

Not to mention, tough to deny a system that Shane has so much success with. :thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with seeing shots differently using cte/pro1, i can make shots using cte/pro1 one way, when it is supposed to be done another way. There are people who cant get ghost ball to work and shanes system also as simple as those systems are, it just wont compute in there brains for some reason? this doesnt mean the system is flawed though.

Shane system is similar in some ways to cte/pro1, it gives you 6, 7, 8 or so reference shots and all other shots are variations off those reference shots. Shanes system does need a lot of feel to work also.

cte/pro1 will start by giving you a exact consistent psr right away and there is no other system (i include all other cte or ete systems also ) more precise and complete that uses less conscious feel than cte/pro1. There is no system even close to what cte/pro1 offers from start to finish out there.

champ2107

Banned
I like to extend the sides of the ferrule to include the entire side of the cue stick, right out to the contact point on the OB. See the line and approach your stance seeing that line, then stroke your cue so that the side of your cue runs along that line. Left side for cuts to the left, and right side for cuts to the right.

One of the most important aspects of this system is to remember to apply any english when you align and not afterwords.

this is good, you have given yourself a starting point finished off by feel on every single shot.

champ2107

Banned
I cannot learn anything without an actual instructor/teacher ON HAND to show me exactly what they are talking about. I do not learn well reading things in books, or through video. I need a live person there with me to "walk" me through the lesson and to answer the MANY questions I am going to have.

Knowing my nature of being a tightwad and will not pay large amounts of money for personal instruction, and coupled with the fact that I have a wobbly stroke that I cannot for the life of me fix, it is hereby my lot in life to remain a "C" player (on a good day :eek:) forever.

I do envy you people that have improved your playing abilities through the use of aiming systems. Although I do not believe these systems are right for everyone, I have no doubt that they are working in the lives of those who come on here and tell us of their positive experiences with them.

Keep the passion Joey! Thanks for all you do for the game. We need more like you!!!

Maniac

you need to rethink how you go about learning things, maybe you need to set goals. For the next 3 months work only on your stroke, give yourself a good amount of time to learn things and do not always look for a over night fix.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the system Shane uses is the one I've preached for a long time. ...

Well, it's not the one you preached here in 2010 and 2011.

The method you advocated is what we came to call the Mullen Method, because it was presented in a video by a Mr. Mullen. The Mullen Method involves aiming the edge of the ferrule at the intended contact point on the OB -- using the left side of the ferrule for cuts to the left and right side of the ferrule for cuts to the right. I have described the limitations of that method more than once.

Shane's method, so far as we know it from a TAR interview and a teaching video, is to aim the center or an edge of the ferrule at the outside edge of the OB. To allow for more cut angles than that would provide, he adjusts the aiming point on the OB for some shots.

So while both methods are "ferrule aiming" of some sort, they are quite different.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
JoeyA,

I'm not a hater...I'm really not....but the one thing that really puzzles me is - you are the CTE/Pro One #1 fan and you give rave reviews on it all the time. You say it has helped your game so much. If this is the case why would you ever need any other system???

I've heard the talk about double checking and all that. Well, that doesn't make any sense to me. If Pro One is all that, then why would you ever have to use another system to double check it? When I recently watched you play on a streamed match it appeared you were using all kinds of different aiming methods. This is very puzzling to me.

I'm really not trying to hate on Pro One. I really think that most guys that use a system stick with it. I would think this would be the way to go. I can understand tinkering around with different methods while on the practice table just to understand what people are talking about. But honestly, how many aiming systems should someone take into a match? If you need more than one, than I think they must all have limitations.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree, pick one method and stick with it. But hey I'm not knocking it, it works for Joey and others. When I went through most of these systems I couldnt help but wonder how a newer player could cope without a built in double check of some kind....just so you trust it before you shoot. And if double checking works, why is the new system any better than what you are confirming yourself? If I do run a rack or 2, do I build precious confidence in myself, or the system? When I miss, do I turn to my mechanics, or blame the system? What if I need to hit a soft, center ball spot shot? I know I'm on my own, systems dont account for throw.

Needless to say, I wish all of you better luck than I had.

champ2107

Banned
JoeyA,

Correct me if I'm wrong.

i will not shoot regularly with any other system other than pro1 but i do like to try other things out of curiosity.

Cte/pro1 is a system we are shooting and the problem i struggle with is why it works. Sometimes I'm on a shot and i think all i have to do is line this and that up and the shot goes and i struggle with how easy it is and i think my brain has a hard time accepting this, so i will check it another way.

champ2107

Banned

sorry friend but you have "100% no understanding" about cte/pro1 or any other aiming system.

champ2107

Banned
one of the keys to using cte/pro1 is make sure you are on the proper cte line because your mind will give you multiple cte lines and this is how you tweak the system to make any and all shots. This is how i see it anyway. I going to attempt to make a video tonight if i don't get bugged at the hall lol

Last edited:

champ2107

Banned
Joey,

That's a good list. Many benefits of "aiming systems," including CTE/Pro1, come from the pre-shot routine elements they encourage. Many systems also promote consistent and purposeful visual alignment and sighting, which are extremely important fundamentals. Regardless of how a person actually aims, paying attention to and focusing on all of this stuff can obviously be very helpful.

Regards,
Dave

Dr Links, you can add up all the psr and visual and sighting benefits from all those aiming systems together you have on your page and they still don't add up to cte/pro1, you know it and I know it ;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joey,

That's a good list. Many benefits of "aiming systems," including CTE/Pro1, come from the pre-shot routine elements they encourage. Many systems also promote consistent and purposeful visual alignment and sighting, which are extremely important fundamentals. Regardless of how a person actually aims, paying attention to and focusing on all of this stuff can obviously be very helpful.
For me, at its very basic, the aiming systems I use allow me to actually aim at something I can see ... something on the object ball. Since I"m an advocate of a finite number of aim combos, if I happen to miss (which we all do) and I feel like I hit it exactly where I was aiming (we've all done this too), then I just click to the next aim point. In my opinion, that's where it helps the most.

I'm not discounting PSR and focus, but for me, the strength of these ball-to-ball aiming systems are less about PSR and focus than you might be suggesting.
Freddie,

I agree with you that having clear aiming references (CTE, fractional-ball, 90/90, ferrule-to-edge, etc.) can be helpful. References provide a framework on which to develop and apply experience-based intuition, feel, and visual intelligence.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
JoeyA,

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fair enough. Ok, I'll try and treat you like you're not one of the haters. Keep in mind, this is only my personal perception and personal experience.

My aiming has evolved over the years from instinctive/put it in the hole (which never was sterling to begin with), to contact-point to contact point, to CTE/Pro1 and now back to instinctive aiming. Sometimes, when I am not in the full automatic mode, I utilize different aiming systems, sometimes simultaneously. It only takes seconds to use any of them. I believe that you utilize whatever aiming system that helps you to find that PERFECT SIGHT PICTURE.

How many should you take into a match? All of them. I don't always see shots PERFECTLY AND I utilize aiming systems to help me do that. Most of the time, luckily, I am dead on PERFECT but for those times when I am not, I will use any aiming system to get me back on track.

I believe that our visual perspectives and alignment perspectives change from time to time and these newer aiming systems which incorporate body & head alignment as well as stance and body movement help you to improve visual perspectives and alignment perspectives.

I don't argue about the limitations of any aiming systems. I try to utilize the positivity of all of them.

Hope that helps.
JoeyA

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
My aiming has evolved over the years from instinctive/put it in the hole (which never was sterling to begin with), to contact-point to contact point, to CTE/Pro1 and now back to instinctive aiming.
JoeyA

Freddie,

I agree with you that having clear aiming references (CTE, fractional-ball, 90/90, ferrule-to-edge, etc.) can be helpful. References provide a framework on which to develop and apply experience-based intuition, feel, and visual intelligence.

Regards,
Dave

Joey, I believe you just agreed with Dr Dave.

As a golf instructor, aiming was something which was difficult to teach. So we would lay clubs down at the player's feet. This taught them the feeling of being aligned properly as they practiced. IMO aiming systems do the same thing. Great practice tool! Also a great way to regain confidence during a match as a quick fix. I imagine for some, it also works as a good distraction for their conscious mind so their subconscious mind can perform the task at hand. Aiming systems = a good thing in my book.

Now if I could just figure out how the hell to use them! :confused:

Last edited: