Alert: New USPS shipping triangular tube--HORRIBLE!!!

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alert: The "new" traingular shipping tube frunished by USPS is extremely weak and flimsy. This is the one where you fold it one way for priority and the other for express mail. The cardboard is considerably weaker than on the previous sturdy tube. I received 3 shipments in the last week in the "new" USPS tube, and each package was mangled and crushed. Each time I wondered if the contents were damaged but luckily they were not. Even with an interior box for protection, these new boxes are a huge disappointment and will surely result in 2-3x more damage claims. Not a way for USPS to save money. What a disgrace, they had to have know this ahead of time.

Martin

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I just got some of the new ones too, and they are definitely worse. They don't go together as well either, and require more taping.
No biggie for me though, All they do is enclose an extra-stiff cardboard tube to keep it from rolling.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I just got some of the new ones too, and they are definitely worse. They don't go together as well either, and require more taping.
No biggie for me though, All they do is enclose an extra-stiff cardboard tube to keep it from rolling.

or a PVC Tube.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
really complaints?

I agree they might not be the bee's knees but they give them to you for free its not like you should expect something free to be as safe as a halliburton case...its not perfect but works just fine as mentioned above its purpose is solely to keep round objects from rolling. If it were square it would be much worse too.

IMOP for free its a pretty good product....if i want/need better then I'll pay for it.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Alert: The "new" traingular shipping tube frunished by USPS is extremely weak and flimsy. This is the one where you fold it one way for priority and the other for express mail. The cardboard is considerably weaker than on the previous sturdy tube. I received 3 shipments in the last week in the "new" USPS tube, and each package was mangled and crushed. Each time I wondered if the contents were damaged but luckily they were not. Even with an interior box for protection, these new boxes are a huge disappointment and will surely result in 2-3x more damage claims. Not a way for USPS to save money. What a disgrace, they had to have know this ahead of time.

Martin
leave it to the government to fix something that wasnt broken in the first damn place:rolleyes:
i just got a box of them too martin, they suck
the tabs are somewhat suspect
i put more clear packing tape around it to encase the whole box
they certainly dont seem as sturdy as the old box
looks like i'll be stocking up on more pvc pipe to put cue in first
forget about writing FRAGILE on the box in magic marker too
they dont give a rats ass about it

Last edited:

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using the "new" ones for about 4-6 months. I've not had one problem out of them at all... Yeah, they use a tad more tape than I used to use on the "old" ones - but like someone said above... They are free.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are no good, anyone who has not had a problem yet, YOUR LUCKY. I put tubes inside of them so I can wrap bubble wrap around the cue and also around the tube then put it in the box. It's pennies. Most don't want the insurance money which is nothing but a headache to get, they want their cues.

dave sutton

Banned
You gotta get alot of free tubes to make up for that 1000$+ broken cue. none of my buisness.

I too only use them outside a tube too stop from rolling.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you should mention it..

Got this today..
One butt was missing..
Was insured..
Mailperson gave it to me and was leaving..and,
if I didn't mention it,mmm,:(burden of proof would be on me..

Attachments

• USPS Box 1.jpg
    USPS Box 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,705

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got this today..
One butt was missing..
Was insured..
Mailperson gave it to me and was leaving..and,
if I didn't mention it,mmm,:(burden of proof would be on me..

I know it's kind of cold but who ever shipped that box with out any better security than what appears to be in the picture should not be surprised of what has occurred. People need to not expect others to look out for them. You know, it's not just the box that is free but the tape is also. I can't believe anyone would just trust those little cardboard clips to keep a package closed and secure while traveling across country and through many hands. When shipping a cue it should be enclosed in something much stronger and more reliable than a blueprint package. Most cue makers understand this and I inform all who intend to ship me a cue on how it should be packaged. You of coarse can't make it absolutely bullet proof but you can come close. I put into PVC pipe with the ends sealed and other protection inside and the shipping address and return address on the pipe just in case the pipe gets separated from it's outer enclosure. The outside box is properly addressed and taped very securely around the ends, the middle and along the seam. If it gets damaged or lost it won't be from lack of trying. The PVC pipe and extra shipping cost adds less than 5.00 to the shipping cost and alleviates all of the worry and the total price is still only about 25% of what UPS or FEDEX.

I haven't had the chance to see the new boxes as of yet but it makes no difference, they're free so if they aren't substantial enough then purchase one that is.

Dick

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they even took away the sticky strip that made the boxes easy to put together. it looks like i'm going to have to invest in some of those cardboard tubes

dave sutton

Banned
The large tubes at the PO cost $3.49. Triangle is free. Bubble paper is at worst 3$ at the PO. And tape. So for around 5$ and 10 minutes of time your package is secure. Anyone that packs and ships a cue like that with no protection deserves what they get. Also just bc it is insured doesn't mean it will always be honored. I ha a package delivered to me broken and the carrier said it was improperly packed so it was not covered.

Why do people skimp on shipping? To save 10$??? You have to ship 100 cues with no issues no break even if one does break. Good luck with that.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
it's not just the box that is free but the tape is also

Used to be...not any more....they have been replaced by stickers.

If you need extra mailing supplies, it's cheaper to go here than buying at the PO.
http://www.uline.com/

Plus....once I wake up, I don't like to leave the yard unless I have too.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you need extra mailing supplies, it's cheaper to go here than buying at the PO.

I see said the blind man. Oh well, all good things have to come to an end sometime. I was just getting ready to order more boxes too. I should have enough tape to last me though.

Dick

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

U-Line has .125 thick 36" tubes, that's what I use, along with inside out FedEx triangles. They used to give me cases of them, but now I can only get 4 or 5 a visit. I try and use them twice a month for the triangles.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Martin

This isn't exactly cue related, but I work in the magazine industry. One of our biggest challenges on a daily business is dealing with the USPS and getting our magazines out to the subscribers. I sat in on a conference call last week with one of our company's representative in Wash, DC. He told us the USPS is expecting a 7 Billion dollar defecit this year. They don't care if the new package is crap. It's just money. We can print more

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't exactly cue related, but I work in the magazine industry. One of our biggest challenges on a daily business is dealing with the USPS and getting our magazines out to the subscribers. I sat in on a conference call last week with one of our company's representative in Wash, DC. He told us the USPS is expecting a 7 Billion dollar defecit this year. They don't care if the new package is crap. It's just money. We can print more

Hello! I believe your post makes little, if any sense at all. It sounds as though you just have a political agenda and are trying to tie this in with the boxes. If the option was to just print more money then they certainly wouldn't have to cheapen the "free" box to save money.

It's probably absolutely correct that the USPS will lose billions this year but just what is the reason that this is going to occur? The reason is that it is subsidized just to keep industries, like the publishing industry, in business. The USPS is the biggest bargain imaginable for sending mail, packages and printed material from one place to another. E-mail has really cut into there profits. Sending packages is around 25-35% of the cost of the other major services (UPS, FEDEX). How long would the Publishing industry last if it had to pay the same postage as packages or even mail instead of the rates they pay which is minute of the real cost of shipping. Postage, just like utilities and the phone service, are much cheaper than they should be to help home owners or someone who has some pull to get their services cheaper. My shop is commercial so my gas and electric rates are 40% higher than the residential house next door. The residential telephone service by Cinti bell runs around 35.00 a month but since I have a business I had to pay 93.00 a month. If they would start charging realistic prices for their services, they still would be half the cost of the other means of shipping and probably make 7 billion a year.

I get so tired of listening to whiners who blame all their troubles or other things that make life not so angelic on the government or the next door neighbor. I keep hearing that if the government runs it it will go bankrupt or not be any good and the USPS, welfare, Medicaid and Soc. Sec. is what is brought up. Most of these services do need to be looked over more closely so as to stop fraud and wastage but I sure believe they are better served where they are than in private hands. These institutions may not lose money in private hands but at what cost? 3 or 4 times the cost of those services now. If Soc. Sec. had been privatized like Bush wanted it would all be gone now. The big bankers? would have your soc. sec. just like that got most of peoples retirement. How would you like your grand mother paying 1500.00-2000.00 or so a month for her Medicaid or a 1.00 or 2.00 to send a letter or 20 to 45.00 to ship a box that can now be sent for 6.00 or maybe 3.00 to send each of your magazines. Wouldn't that be something.

Dick