America vs Rest of the World

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Enough is enough, I’m gonna invest into attending that harriminni academy (sp?) and bring back pool to America.
Obviously you joke,.......but....
For ANYONE wanting to excel in a particular venue;you need to have 2 things present:
1-Fame
2-Money
They bring the will as incentive to step up.
The USA population still sees pool as a gamblers sport rather than pure competition.
Also, there is no framework for advancing good short-stops into the PRO rank.
A few yrs back MR (I believe it was them), was grooming players for the Mosconi Cup. They put Jeremy Sossei as an "alternate."
I don't blame him for not going. Why go if you are not going to play??
Honestly. I would like to see MC divided into 4 major groups.
Europe
N. America
Asia
ROTW
division based loosely on population.

I admire Asian culture and how they adopted Pool. Until there is a framework based on that above, there won't be much Global competition.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Obviously you joke,.......but....
For ANYONE wanting to excel in a particular venue;you need to have 2 things present:
1-Fame
2-Money
They bring the will as incentive to step up.
The USA population still sees pool as a gamblers sport rather than pure competition.
Also, there is no framework for advancing good short-stops into the PRO rank.
A few yrs back MR (I believe it was them), was grooming players for the Mosconi Cup. They put Jeremy Sossei as an "alternate."
I don't blame him for not going. Why go if you are not going to play??
Honestly. I would like to see MC divided into 4 major groups.
Europe
N. America
Asia
ROTW
division based loosely on population.

I admire Asian culture and how they adopted Pool. Until there is a framework based on that above, there won't be much Global competition.
There are no shortstops that can compete with the "pros".

And that's the exact attitude for not improving - I'm not on the team so I'm not going. Americans believe everything is owed to them, it's NOT

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...We may have the ability, we don't have the hunger.
Hu
No me brother Hu.
I’m taking Monday off.
I’m going to finally fix that wonky step, eradicate those nasty wasps nest, play 9 holes, shoot some pool, THEN rub one out in front of the computer.
Not necessarily in that order.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just my opinion and it won't be a popular one for all the USA diehards, but I seriously doubt an American player will win a Matchroom event in the next year or so. Shane was/is our only hope and he is not the player he once was and certainly not in a class (regardless of Fargo rate) with the top Europeans and Asians. I feel like he has burnout, but I'm probably wrong. Maybe he just isn't as competitive in his heart since he finally won a World title. I don't know, but what I DO know is that these waves and waves of new players from all around the globe are showing me just how far behind the curve American players are.

The several hopefuls following in Shane's footsteps are showing no signs of taking home a major event or any MR event anytime soon. Until some of our youthful rising stars get tournament ready, it appears to be a sad and hopeless proposition. The Mosconi Cup seriously ought to be played between Europe and Asian teams.

I don't wish it to be this way, but it's getting hard for me to cheer for players that I know aren't really going to go deep into a tournament bracket. Maybe it will turn around sooner than I expect it to. I certainly hope so.

As of this moment, I'm going to root for Ralf Souquet to take this Open down (although I know that's not going to happen either).
In the last year, what 2 players from the same country have had significantly better finishes than SVB and SKY at the majors? Alcaide and FSR? Maybe a couple of the Polish players? Th Ko brothers? While not winning, it seems as if SVB and Sky are in the later stages of every tournament, and at the very least they are in elite company.

If you are basing this on wins, seems like 3 years ago everyone thought Filler would be unbeatable for the foreseeable future. Last year FSR was winning everything MR, and Gorst was winning everything else. Folks were posting how they were going to dominate pool going forward. PLayers get hot, get some rolls, and all of a sudden they seem like they are going to win everything. Everything always cycles in sports.

An American just won the amateur tourney, and we have some exciting talent in the pipeline, it is crucial to keep developing and nurturing that talent. I don't think things are as bleak as they were 5 years ago for American pool. Just my opinion.

dquarasr

Registered
sky is underrated, always. it's really, really hard to go this deep and he's doing it consistently.

i liked what i saw from young eric roberts. joey tate has potential too. some errors in decision making, but they're young and have good fundamentals
Before I got down to this post I looked up Eric Roberts and I was surprised to see a Fargo of “only” 717. I talked with him last year after watching him warm up. Friendly fellow. I would certainly be rooting for him if I see him in any tournaments.

Hopefully he can continue to develop and be a winner in world-class events soon.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last year, what 2 players from the same country have had significantly better finishes than SVB and SKY at the majors? Alcaide and FSR? Maybe a couple of the Polish players? Th Ko brothers? While not winning, it seems as if SVB and Sky are in the later stages of every tournament, and at the very least they are in elite company.

If you are basing this on wins, seems like 3 years ago everyone thought Filler would be unbeatable for the foreseeable future. Last year FSR was winning everything MR, and Gorst was winning everything else. Folks were posting how they were going to dominate pool going forward. PLayers get hot, get some rolls, and all of a sudden they seem like they are going to win everything. Everything always cycles in sports.

An American just won the amateur tourney, and we have some exciting talent in the pipeline, it is crucial to keep developing and nurturing that talent. I don't think things are as bleak as they were 5 years ago for American pool. Just my opinion.

some american fans seem to compare svb and sky to other eras rather than to other contemporaries. the competition now is absolutely cutthroat and we see new players breaking through at almost every event, from all kinds of countries. yet shane is ranked nr 2 and sky nr 15 in the nineball rankings. only austria have three players in that range, only taiwan and spain also have two. but their players don't have anything resembling the same fan expectations as shane and sky

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If you are basing this on wins,
Yep. Re-read my first sentence. I'm basing my OPINION on the fact that there are just too many numbers of excellent players outside of the USA which lessens the chance of an American winning a Matchroom event.

And...now that the prize funds have gotten better, these players are starting to show up from countries that you would least expect to have a quality player come from (Like Portugal and Serbia for two examples). So, I think the likelihood of an American winning a MR event in the next year or two is very unlikely. Again, just my opinion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. Re-read my first sentence. I'm basing my OPINION on the fact that there are just too many numbers of excellent players outside of the USA which lessens the chance of an American winning a Matchroom event.

And...now that the prize funds have gotten better, these players are starting to show up from countries that you would least expect to have a quality player come from (Like Portugal and Serbia for two examples). So, I think the likelihood of an American winning a MR event in the next year or two is very unlikely. Again, just my opinion.
You don't think SVB will win a MR in next two yrs? You have even less re-gard for US pool prospects than i do. He's still too good and can win any time. In his loss to Chang he played ok just had a couple dry breaks that cost him. Only thing stopping Shane is motivation. If he decides he still wants it he'll win. I'm just not sure how much of his earlier fire is still burning.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Only thing stopping Shane is motivation. If he decides he still wants it he'll win. I'm just not sure how much of his earlier fire is still burning.
That's my concern with SVB. Sometimes you just don'tsee that "fire" burning inside of him during his matches. You can see it in his body language. I saw it in his loss to Chang. He looks to me sometimes like he's suffering from burnout. He is by far the best we Americans have, but there's just way too much talent in the world to improve our odds of winning one anytime soon. It's getting to the point to where winning two in a row for ANYONE is going to be hard to do.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We agree on this point. The more 800+ FR players there are, means it's harder for ANY one player to win, not just Americans. There are so many killers out there right now that American's may not win a MR event in the next two years.
Agree again. The level of international competition is off the charts and it makes winning that much more special...what I mean is, if Poland doesn't win a MR event in the next 2 years, does that mean Polish pool sucks? Heck no. It just means it is really, really hard to win one of these things.
The Mosconi Cup seriously ought to be played between Europe and Asian teams.
Couldn't disagree more. If you want to change it, go back to the original US vs.UK . Are there 5 pros from England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland that would be a favorite vs. our guys?

The MC is the most entertaining event in pool. We are down 2-3 over the last 5 years. We were down by TWO points going into the final day last year, and we very well could have been up by 2. I imagine this year will be competitive as well.
I don't wish it to be this way, but it's getting hard for me to cheer for players that I know aren't really going to go deep into a tournament bracket. Maybe it will turn around sooner than I expect it to. I certainly hope so.
Keep cheering for Sky and SVB...the chances of them going deep are just as good as anybody in the world.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ehh, there's still plenty of talent in the USA that can potential win any matchroom event, but for now, what are the insentives for these players to go all out? Pool is a funny game in which all it takes is a hot streak and that only usually last 1-2 years. Like someone mentioned before, we thought Filler would be winning everything and right now he's among the mega elites of course, but he doesn't have the invincible auro around him he had before. Same with FSR, it feels like forever when he went on his streak last year.

They will all still be there at the end, but for now, it's such a toss up who wins these things.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ehh, there's still plenty of talent in the USA that can potential win any matchroom event, but for now, what are the insentives for these players to go all out? Pool is a funny game in which all it takes is a hot streak and that only usually last 1-2 years. Like someone mentioned before, we thought Filler would be winning everything and right now he's among the mega elites of course, but he doesn't have the invincible auro around him he had before. Same with FSR, it feels like forever when he went on his streak last year.

They will all still be there at the end, but for now, it's such a toss up who wins these things.

and raga was out earlier than shane.. filler didn't survive L16. all three around the same fargo. lots of factors come into play at these events, travel issues / jet lag, health issues, fitness, etc. quite often hear about players having a cold or had food poisoning. sometimes just in a bad streak as you write. FSR has been jumpier in his stroke this last 6 months, and he used to have this tendency before his crazy run last year.

mrshifty

Registered
I said a long while back, since 2006, only 2 Americans have won the US Open 9 ball event, John Schmidt 1X and SVB 5X and that an American player will never win it again!
So an American won it 35% of the time in the last 17 years and you think that indicates that an American can never win it again?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So an American won it 35% of the time in the last 17 years and you think that indicates that an American can never win it again?
SVB won 5 times in that time frame, and won 4 out of 5 times, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016, like he OWNED the event! Then, that was it, no more American winners!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

If you're not in 1st place, you might as well be in last place!

mrshifty

Registered
SVB won 5 times in that time frame, and won 4 out of 5 times, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016, like he OWNED the event! Then, that was it, no more American winners!
I get that. The competition at that level is so tight though that there are probably 20+ people that could win it and not be considered a shock. I always think k it is a little funny when people think that somebody is a lock to win these major tournaments. It would be like putting all NBA players in a free throw shooting contest that is bracketed and a race to 11 points and picking a clear winner at the beginning. There will be favorites, but I would always take the field versus a couple of players.