Another "Old Time" Room going out

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Jimmy's Billiards has been the action spot in Orlando for 26 years. A lot of big time match-ups have have taken place there through the years. I received a call from Jimmy today, the clock is ticking. If your in the Orlando area and want to see what a real "Old Time" pool room was like, get by there soon.

If your looking for pool room items for your home or business, PM me and I will put you in contact with Jimmy.

Mike

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I've been there and I remember Jimmy. I remember you too, Mike. Sorry to hear Jimmy is closing down. That's been a great room, but I would have to imagine that Jimmy must be tired of the grind after all these years anyway.

Roger

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy's Billiards has been the action spot in Orlando for 26 years. A lot of big time match-ups have have taken place there through the years. I received a call from Jimmy today, the clock is ticking. If your in the Orlando area and want to see what a real "Old Time" pool room was like, get by there soon.

If your looking for pool room items for your home or business, PM me and I will put you in contact with Jimmy.

Mike

What kind of pool-related items do they have? Just curious!

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Items

What kind of pool-related items do they have? Just curious!

At this point he has seven tables left; Four 9' Gandy Big Gs, Two 8' OS Brunswick Centinals, One 8' OS Brunswick Sportsman (probaly the pick of the litter for home use), smoke eaters, TVs, house cues, custom cues, pizza oven, beer coolers, tables and chairs.

He may even have some neon lights that he can sell. In the old days the beer companies gave the lights to the customer. In the late 90's the companies changed their policies and started "loaning" the neon lights to the customers.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member

Mike

Wow. Corner Pocket and Jimmy's both gone in less than a year. That sucks.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Spent lots of time in corner pocket playing the old man straight pool. My main haunt was Sports Town but more times than not Lee would get a call and we would load up in the 9 ball Chevell and head to Jimmys because there was big action going down.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Spent lots of time in corner pocket playing the old man straight pool. My main haunt was Sports Town but more times than not Lee would get a call and we would load up in the 9 ball Chevell and head to Jimmys because there was big action going down.

Lee is one of my favorite people! They have the Midas touch over there at Sportstown. They are in a prime location, and they treat their customers right. Vickie is always doing something to positive to promote Sportstown - which IMO is extremely important to do these days. IMO, they are the only "pool hall" left in Orlando. I consider the other places sports bars.

On a side note, hanging out at Sportstown every day, I ended up in 3 episodes of Dr G.
:eek:

M HOUSE

Silver Member
One More

Wow. Corner Pocket and Jimmy's both gone in less than a year. That sucks.

You can add Fast Breaks to that list. They closed less than a year ago.

On a positive note, there are rumors that a new room will be opening soon. Will the Orlando area finally be getting some Diamonds? We can only hope...

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
It's a shame. The rents have gone so high that pool doesn't pay for itself anymore. There has to be some other variable included for a room to make it now. Hopefully a new room will open soon. Maybe you should try to keep Jimmy's open, by yourself or with some friends?

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy's

Unfortunately as well, the OBT Orange Blossom Trail is not what it use to be!! At one time it was a happening place but today it is not the place to be and is getting rougher and rougher. Would not want to walk two blocks down the OBT at night. And all the nearby hotels and motels are mostly seedy It is to bad because it has been around a long time and I hate to see the real Pool Rooms go by the wayside.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that, but that's the way of the business world. Adapt or die :( Hopefully, someone can take some pictures of the place if they haven't already and maybe post them. It's sad to see such pool history die.

Mike

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to hear of old-tyme pool halls closing, but that's the nature of business. Best wishes to all of their staff now looking for work.

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Nice car

I remember the "9-ball Chevell". Nice car. A nine ball on the hood, Sportstown Billiards down the sides, and neon lights underneath. From time to time Lee would take it over at night, park it in the front of Jimmy's and leave the neon lights on. Jimmy didn't like it one bit, but he would never say anything to Lee. Lee was great for action and spent a lot money there.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I remember the "9-ball Chevell". Nice car. A nine ball on the hood, Sportstown Billiards down the sides, and neon lights underneath. From time to time Lee would take it over at night, park it in the front of Jimmy's and leave the neon lights on. Jimmy didn't like it one bit, but he would never say anything to Lee. Lee was great for action and spent a lot money there.

hahahaha... like if Jimmy asked him, Lee would have turned off the lights... yeah, right!
:killingme: :killingme: :killingme:

joninnorfolk

Account was hacked - Pending verification
Silver Member
I happened on this thread today after a google search for the place. I bought my first real cue (Adam SP) there when I was a young sailor. I also bought my second cue (McDermott EN-5) while in Orlando from the Corner Pocket which I also see is closed. I played more at CP than Jimmy's since it was so much closer to the base. September first to September first of 1993 to 1994 was the extent of my time there. Those were the first pool hall experiences ever for me as growing up in Montana/Wyoming had me quite limited in that regard, sad to hear they are both gone.

joninnorfolk

Account was hacked - Pending verification
Silver Member
I don't remember about smoking, but do remember that a Navy buddy from Arkansas nearly got us kicked out for spitting dip into a bottle there. I just don't remember if it was a no tobacco policy or just no dip.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Corner Pocket Widefield CO Just locked it's doors end of last month. La Montana Billiards hey days are coming to an end. Thanks Frank McGowan.