Another Predator shaft Bites the dust .

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
phishman

I have a Stinger jump break and love it. But the other day someone told me they sold out to McDermott. ?????????

I think you will find that Jericoe Cues still make their stinger cues.
McDermott is making their own stinger series of cues using Jericoe stinger technology by agreement.
Neil

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
For it to happen once, I could believe a manufacturing defect causing a (truly) catastrophic failure. Just a fluke...but for it to happen for a second time, in short order no less, I would look for another reason. I'm betting you bend the cue a hell of a lot more than you think you do.

EDIT: In looking at your videos, does you shaft have a lot of dings in the area of the failure? Your back hand really drives down and it looks like the center of your cue could be contacting the table.

I agree with you. This is too much of a coincidence for there to be something wrong with the shafts.

James

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
I like predator also but I had one of there shafts snap once i hit the rack. It actually cut my finger and left blood on the shaft. I sent it back to predator thinking they might send me another one. Been about a year and have never heard anything from them.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
give'm another year or so

I like predator also but I had one of there shafts snap once i hit the rack. It actually cut my finger and left blood on the shaft. I sent it back to predator thinking they might send me another one. Been about a year and have never heard anything from them.

Give them another year or so, if you still haven't heard from them then it might be time to start to wonder . . . .

Hu

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Here is a reply from the Company that Originaly marketed the Universal Smart Shafts and the inserts that Predator is using. They have since stopped using this insert design because it was structrally un-sound and they could not correct it. For those claiming other wise the design is flawed and it has nothing to do with the manner in which the OP is breaking, hope this helps clear things up.

----- Original Message -----
To: fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:05:35 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Predator / Smart shafts photo's included

Hi,

Thank you for the pictures and the information. Yes, I was aware that Predator was using the Universal adapter Technology. It was sold to our Chinese manufacturer and Predator now makes there cues in the same factory. They said they had improved the construction so we would not run into the same breaking problems. But after we sent it to our testing facility in the states they found the joints were still failing. In light of this we choose not to add the adapter technology to any of our products at that time. I am sure Predator is putting the pressure on them to solve the problem. I am sorry that you had this issue. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Best Regards,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM, <fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello, here are some photo's of a BK Break Shaft, it appears that they have begun using the Universal Smart Shaft inserts and design for the BK break cues are you aware of this?

Take Care

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
i got a bk2 shaft broke the same way, can they fix these or what should i do?

Well if I were you I would contact Predator, they should replace it since it is defective. But, I think I would ask for a refund, because the next one could do the same thing, no there is no way to fix it.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didnt think it could be repaired, im out then because mine was modified had a g10 tip

The replaced tip is not the cause of the joint failure.
It seems evident that they know there is a problem.
Mabe not with all shafts,but they should be obliged to repair the ones that have failed.
I think those shafts could still be repaired, but would not look like a wood shaft.It would not really be cost effective.
Neil

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY .02

My 314-2 shaft seems to ding more than any cue I have ever had. While I like the hit, I sure get tired of having the shaft refinished to take out the dings. And I am paranoid about taking care not to ding it.

How do you keep dinging it? i understand there being dings in the butt but not so much on the shaft

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.

imo if you stick with a BK2 after this time what ever happens next time is your fault not theirs

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
...and I'm not trying to bust your balls either...just trying to help determine what's causing your troubles. In looking at another video you have on youtube, you break very different in that one. This one was the more typical finish with a bent cue (see pics below). In fact, your tip stays on the table for a long time.

BTW, I'm NOT suggesting you are doing anything wrong here...IMO a good break cue should be expected to survive this type of use. It is VERY common to bend the cue to this level and a good cue should not sweat it.

Shot001.jpg

Shot002.jpg

Shot004.jpg

Shot005.jpg

If you did that on my table... I'd throw you right out!:confused:

tasaddicts

not a 314 fan!
Silver Member
if u breakstyle is pressing the cue down against the table, over time, stress gets break up in the joint area. the shaft will give way eventually. so dont ever press the cue against the table. maybe break like earl the pearl strickland....cue high high in the air after break

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amazing to me how thin the wood is around the collar.!!!

Seems like that area would be super weak.

Same observation I made. I like to see some beef down around the joint. Decades ago there were some big hitters breaking with their playing cues. Wade Crane, David Howard, Richie Florence, Danny Medina, Billy Incardona etc. They were playing with cues like Joss West and East, Meucci, Szamboti, McDermott and the like. I don't remember ever seeing one break like that. I did see some ferrules come loose or break. When you bought a cue back then, the cue maker would tell you go ahead and break with it. That's what it was made for!

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I see a lot of breaks just like this. IMO, its a flaw in the design. The phenolic collar and tenon are one piece. If it were a separate collar, made longer and at a smaller diameter, it would be stronger. If they would use the same phenolic insert as the 314-2 at the joint, this wouldn't happen.

Is that Ryan the wrestler? :groucho:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've had one problem with a Predator shaft (the broken ferrule thing) and they promptly repaired it, so I think they will stand behind their product. I think that ferrule flaw has been fixed now.

They didn't leave much wood around that insert, did they? I'm glad I'm using partials! I would not expect a shaft to break there, that's for sure.

It looks to me like an adhesive problem and a design flaw

Chris

Last edited:

leadfoot_mf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a predator LE-5 in 1997 with the a 314 shaft and have been breaking with it ever since i bought it. never had a problem still has the original tip. will continue to break with it until i get a j/b cue.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've broken my Viking break cue twice like this. Let me guess you'rE trying to break really hard and follow through to the rack.

DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH SO FAR!!!

It's not the cue it's your technique.

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
I've broken my Viking break cue twice like this. Let me guess you'rE trying to break really hard and follow through to the rack.

DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH SO FAR!!!

It's not the cue it's your technique.

Well I guess your probably right it's not predators fault that they broke it's really mine i guess , it's got to be my technique I'm going to have to change a few things when I break, less follow threw , not as hard and don't put the tip on the cloth , I think that pretty much sums it up , thanks guys you've all been a help .:)