Any pro plays with 13mm shaft?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Do you realize that ½ of a mm (e.g. going from 13mm to 12.5mm) is 2 One Hundredth's of an inch

If you arguing between 12.5mm and 12.4 then you are talking 4 one thousands of an inch... come on

I know you can feel it, but it is not much more than a RCH
Half an mm is about 20 thousandths of an inch.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I can second the 12.4mm. He still uses it very well I might add......

Correct. He and I measured it at the same time, two micrometers. He's used that shaft for years, even with different butts. Mike hasn't used anything close to 13 for 40 years.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Isn't .02 and .020 the same?

Yes, it is. Here are some popular shaft measurements, translated to thousands of an inch:

13 mm = .512 inch
12 3/4 mm = .502 inch
12 1/2 mm = .492 inch

And, as you can see, 1/2 mm = 20 thousands, or .020". That's .512 minus .492.

All the best,
WW

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is. Here are some popular shaft measurements, translated to thousands of an inch:

13 mm = .512 inch
12 3/4 mm = .502 inch
12 1/2 mm = .492 inch

And, as you can see, 1/2 mm = 20 thousands, or .020". That's .512 minus .492.

All the best,
WW

Got it. Two hundredths of an inch:thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you just hate those guys?

There's a certain Philippino that visits me everytime he is in the country. He always has, what some would call a broomstick with him. I've not measured but I swear, that thing looks huge. I would put it at ~13.5mm to ~13.75mm....... huge!

He can draw the white off the ball.

I used a 14mm shaft for decades.

One guy even named me "Monster Stroke" because I could draw the cue ball so far and get so much English on the cue ball.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct. He and I measured it at the same time, two micrometers. He's used that shaft for years, even with different butts. Mike hasn't used anything close to 13 for 40 years.

All the best,
WW

It has come to my attention from someone that apparently is still stung by a post of mine (geez, I have much power apparently), that I was wrong on my post and that you have set me straight. Thanks!

I believe he wants me to acknowledge that I was wrong!

Acknowledged! I was wrong and someone (WW and jrc) corrected me. I appreciate it!

Until the next time that I’m wrong again, I won’t be editing my wrong post, because I deserve to be ridiculed and/or corrected for being wrong. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Freddie <~~~ never an issue being wrong

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
122d947.jpg

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has come to my attention from someone that apparently is still stung by a post of mine (geez, I have much power apparently), that I was wrong on my post and that you have set me straight. Thanks!

Acknowledged! I was wrong and someone (WW and jrc) corrected me. I appreciate it!

Until the next time that I’m wrong again, I won’t be editing my wrong post, because I deserve to be ridiculed and/or corrected for being wrong. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

I forgive you this time but don't let it happen again Mr.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Thank you Rubik's Cube. I laughed out loud each time i looked at that picture.

Those dudes are hardcore players though.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes many pros in Asia that plays with a custom cue (non LD) uses shafts that are 13mm.

"Seems A lot of Asian players I watched over the years liked an Ebony South west cue with a 13 mm STIFF TAPER SHAFT....
Didn't seen to spin their cue ball much at all-
great pool players-
shoot extremely straight and ACCURATE

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

No big deal, I didn't know there was such a controversy.

Shaft size is hard to tell by sight. If it's a bright white shaft, it'll look larger than it is. Remember that white panty hose women used to wear? It made their legs look fat. Lighter color looks big, darker color slenderizes. A darker shaft will look smaller.

The taper makes a big difference to the eye as well. A quickly expanding, or conical shaft looks big, but if you measure at the ferrule, it could be smaller than you think.

By the same principle, a long taper makes a shaft look thinner. I have a couple Mike Gulassey shafts (some of the best, in my opinion), that have the long taper, modeled after his shafts for Earl Strickland. They look like they can't be larger than 12.5 mm, but actually they are 12.75. The eyes do some funny things to you.

Not sure why there was so much consternation, but knowledge is key. And, the micrometer is your best friend when talking shaft diameter. The micrometer doesn't lie.

All the best,
WW

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do and that is the size most people want and the size most order.

and ya can get one for $20 bucks and up and have enough dough to buy a bag..LOL. It's the Cadillac and Pinto story they'll get you to the same place.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably because it's a comfortable width that's rigid enough when made from the most widely available material: wood.

But there may be other reasons too - for instance...

The miscue limit on the CB is 30 degrees from center. To hit that reliably you need a tip that's wide enough to have at least 30 degrees of arc per side - 60 degrees total. Common tip curvatures (radius of a dime to a quarter) encompass 60 degrees in 12mm or less.

So a 13mm tip is just wide enough to reach the miscue limit with a little room to spare (so you're not hitting right on the edge of the tip).

pj
chgo

The game can be played by never going outside 1 tip width of the cue ball on these fast cloths. In fact one's game will improve immensely doing just that.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with that as long as you have a STRAIGHT/repeating stroke. Smaller sizes are far less forgiving of less than dead-on accuracy in tip placement.

Think you got it wrong. (The effects of having the smaller diameter shaft is beyond the scope of this article. In general, a smaller diameter tip will provide a tighter hitting surface and allow you to put a bit more spin on the ball. The smaller tip may also be more unforgiving of mishits. Some people like how the thinner cues feel in their hand as well. It is a matter of personal preference.)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Smaller sizes are far less forgiving of less than dead-on accuracy in tip placement.
Think you got it wrong. ... The smaller tip may also be more unforgiving of mishits.
Aren't you saying the same thing?

In general, a smaller diameter tip will provide a tighter hitting surface and allow you to put a bit more spin on the ball.
Smaller tips don't allow you to put more spin on the ball - anywhere on the CB that can be hit with a smaller tip can also be hit with a larger one. That's the only factor in how much spin can be produced.

Some people like how the thinner cues feel in their hand as well. It is a matter of personal preference.
I also like how a thinner tip allows me to see more of the CB, making it a little easier to know exactly where I'm hitting it. And, of course, lower squirt because of less end mass.

pj
chgo

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Willie Mosconi played with a 13mm.

Really? Mosconi himself, in his latest book, said he uses a 12.5 mm shaft. Evidence below.

Of course, I would want to get a micrometer on it, and his cues had multiple shafts. But, having attended the senior tournaments held, his shaft was definitely less than 13.

All the best, for evidence,
WW

Attachments

• Mosconi Cover.jpg
    Mosconi Cover.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Mosconi Shaft.jpg
    Mosconi Shaft.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 394