anyone else due for something new?

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it me, and just me, or are you tired of seeing 4 point traditional cues? I mean come on, it been decades, isn't it time to turn the channel on this style? I know, it's classic looking, old pitch line, if it's right, why fix it, but really, is there not any refreshing designs out there, well, that don't cost as much as my home did?
Diamonds, spears, bar bells, dots, oh my. I think it is time for a change, heck, i would rather see a beautiful all wood plain jane cue over this boring style.
Anyone with me or am I just alone?

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I would love to see a 4 point traditional from Southwest....they have become the standard for sos

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Is it me, and just me, or are you tired of seeing 4 point traditional cues? I mean come on, it been decades, isn't it time to turn the channel on this style? I know, it's classic looking, old pitch line, if it's right, why fix it, but really, is there not any refreshing designs out there, well, that don't cost as much as my home did?
Diamonds, spears, bar bells, dots, oh my. I think it is time for a change, heck, i would rather see a beautiful all wood plain jane cue over this boring style.

Fortunately now, if you can draw it or articulate it someone can build it. Art cues are very popular. If you can't afford the real deal, you can get a knockoff in many parts of the world. Personally I like the old school style but I do have a Mike Bender that is non traditional ebony on ebony (it has 20 points 10 up and 10 down, 10 are scalloped silver tipped points) and 10 are sharp points with ivory/lapis/ivory veneers, it's set off with lapis and silver rings and I love it. I designed it and Mike build it.

Call up some cuemakers and share what you want in a cue and see what you can get for your budget.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
If you could

Fortunately now, if you can draw it or articulate it someone can build it. Art cues are very popular. If you can't afford the real deal, you can get a knockoff in many parts of the world. Personally I like the old school style but I do have a Mike Bender that is non traditional ebony on ebony (it has 20 points 10 up and 10 down, 10 are scalloped silver tipped points) and 10 are sharp points with ivory/lapis/ivory veneers, it's set off with lapis and silver rings and I love it. I designed it and Mike build it.

Call up some cuemakers and share what you want in a cue and see what you can get for your budget.

I would love to see that cue if possible.
Thank you in advance. SS

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
They're out there, if that's what you want, if you look for them. There has never been a better choice of cues than there is now, and many are non-traditional. Personally, I like traditional cues made with beautiful woods, custom made from reputable makers, that play lights out.
:D

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Nope. Veneered points show craftsmanship imo. Inlayed shiny shit is not for me. Shiny shapes are about as impressive as the rounded points from a cnc made factory cue to me. I'm an old schooler though. I still think the game should be played on the big tables too so I'm out of touch I suppose.

rw843

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
something new

Nope. Veneered points show craftsmanship imo. Inlayed shiny shit is not for me. Shiny shapes are about as impressive as the rounded points from a cnc made factory cue to me. I'm an old schooler though. I still think the game should be played on the big tables too so I'm out of touch I suppose.

That's why I always liked Chudy's work, something different.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full splice were made for a reason.... because they play good. If you want art work just go to a museum.

DanielDeTinne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No points just Geckos.

Attachments

• 20130917_234008-1.jpg
    20130917_234008-1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 701

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I hope my wife doesn't see that cue. My wife loves all the lizards in Western art we see in Tucson. She would want that cue for sure. I have to plasma some outta metal for her when we finally make the move out there this spring.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Cues should be traditional

I'm a traditional cue kind of guy. I like small towns. I like the country. I think cues should have points, diamonds...and not a lot of fluff. Art is for museums. I think cue table felt should be GREEN.

I think it's because I like to think of the game in its purest form. The nostalgia. Back when people respected the game, and each other...and dressed up to play pool to show that respect. The game had class. I'm too young to have been there, but I'd like to see the game go back that direction. Dress codes, no drugs, thugs, ...sigh

I feel like class is dead with pool.

So, gimme points and diamonds...I'll pretend it's never changed!!!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Not just you, I've often wished the same things.
Cuemakers are not very adventurous it seems like. It was explained to me that they
can't afford to invest tons of time and effort into something wild and then have it not sell.
They need to mostly stick to the bread'n'butter that people want or else they
go broke and waste tons of time on a 'hobby project'.

I love some of Bebot Bautista's funky designs.

If nothing else I wish we'd see people be more adventurous with color even on traditional four pointers.
But I guess there's this subconscious association, that colorful = cheap and "natural woody" = classy.

You see it elsewhere too... 'experimental' just doesn't sell in some fields.
80% of cars in the USA are black, white, silver, gray, and red.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
This always baffles me. What difference would it make what the woods or designs are if the cue plays lights out.

Nobody would be able to see what the heck yer shooting with anyway.

The difference is that it's mine. I buy what I like, and that's what I like. Life without aesthetics would be a nightmare.
:grin:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This always baffles me. What difference would it make what the woods or designs are if the cue plays lights out.

Nobody would be able to see what the heck yer shooting with anyway.

that's the problem with folks who think other folks buy "nice" cues... I could care less if anyone see's it, looks at it, or compliments me on it. I bought it for one reason, cause I like it.

PS: And yes, my cues have to have "points"... including my 65 year old Willie Hoppe. Some designs last forever for a reason. But then again, there are plenty of plain janes, and/or "designer" cues around.... that is called having a choice.. buy what you like... hell, there is only a hundred custome makers that would be glad to make whatever you wanted, and I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of production cues that have exactly what you describe... enjoy

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some things will never go out of style and actually sets the bar height in my opinion..........Omega & Breitling watches, the "Corvette" auto, Brooks Brothers men's suits, wingtips, and traditional design cues are on this list too.

The beauty and appeal of a cue design's is obviously in the eye of its beholder. But a 4 point, 6 point or 8 point cues with handsome veneers, boxes, and inlays truly sets the standard for me in cue designs. Butterfly designs catch my eye but I would never want to own one more than a few hours. The design just gets old and is incongruous with what a cue should look like..........but obviously to each their own.

I have a custom cue being built which won't be completed until March 2014. I specified all the cue particulars....shaft sizes and weights (4.0 oz min. for the shafts) , ivory ferrules, butt cap & joint, as well as the cue butt weight, and most importantly, the cue design. Like the original poster mentioned, cues can at times seem like just a clone of what you've seen before.

I wanted to avoid that so I started designing a cue a year ago and copied a little of this and a little of that from other cue-makers and created my design. Fortunately, I hired a cue-maker that was not only very talented but was interested in partnering with me to make the cue design as handsome as possible. Will my cue design be unique.....probably not. Will my design make others envious....probably not. Will my design receive praise and compliments.......Absolutely yes...........Why?

Well , you be the judge........the forearm is an exquisite curly maple that will be stained darker than normal. It has six ebony points with 5 veneers (black, red, blue, orange & green) and a total of 56 ivory inlays in the forearm and butt. It has ebony & ivory square Bushka collars with double silver rings above and below the wrap (still looking for the right Cortland linen) and a Bushka collar above the ivory butt cap. The shaft and joint collars have the same Bushka design. The butt sleeve is ebony with double boxed veneers with ivory inlays and the cue-maker was extremely helpful in deciding the final butt sleeve design. The inlays were the hardest to come up with and I won't go into that because I think the inlays accentuate the design really well.

I am certain that there will be people that see my cue and perhaps claim they have one just like it or maybe one of their pals.......doesn't matter a bit. I am very confident no one has made a cue with the design features I've presented to my cue-maker. When I post pictures of my cue, it won't get ooh la la's for its creative design which was never my intention. But it will gather accolades for being just a darn handsome cue which is all I was shooting for to begin with.....a one of a kind classic cue I had a role in deciding the cue's design. Nonetheless, all the credit goes to the cue-maker who has the challenge of making the cue, presuming the cue turns out to be a winner and all the blame is mine if it doesn't turn out that way. I know it's a crap roll but I'm betting a couple of grand it's going to be a winner.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:scratchhead:

Hmmm........Is this an advertisement for the new Dale Perry cues coming out?

Yes they are coming and are a bargain price.

:thumbup: