Anyone else have a "Most Embarrassing" at the pool hall?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appeared to be 3 girls that were keen on him-not his girl friend and 2 friends. They were all on the menu by all appearances. Which is what made it even funnier

Was a biker kind of guy, in 88 at a pretty big room in Sacramento on a Friday or Saturday night.
I played in a local league and we had a big kid about 18 or 19 - probably 6'2" and 250lb. Couldn't play pool at all and hit every shot as hard as he could. Worked at a car wash. I kind of felt sorry for the kid until one night at league he showed up with 2 cuties both of whom sat on his lap at one time or another.

I don't think he won a match all season and I don't think he cared.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm practicing if I miss a ball instead of shooting it a second time I move on to the next ball and then return to the ball I missed later.

I did that once in a 9 ball tournament after the opponent missed. Felt stupid but not the first time I've felt stupid.

Damn you! That reminds me…

To warm up before a rotation tournament, I generally play a few racks of BIH 6-ball ghost, just to get in the rhythm of moving the ball around and to get a feel for table speed.

My first match of a good size 9-ball tournament, having just done that, I break, drop the 1 and the wing ball, then confidently walk up to the wide open table and pick up the cue ball in gleeful expectation of an easy out… 😑

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn you! That reminds me…

To warm up before a rotation tournament, I generally play a few racks of BIH 6-ball ghost, just to get in the rhythm of moving the ball around and to get a feel for table speed. My first match of a good size 9-ball tournament, having just done that, I break, drop the 1 and the wing ball, then confidently walk up to the wide open table and pick up the cue ball in gleeful expectation of an easy out… 😑
I greatly enjoyed viewing an exactly analogous pro-player situation about 20 years ago: As everyone knows, Mike Massey has spent many years setting up the balls into just the right position to begin all of his countless, excellent trick shots.

In one of the Accu-Stats blooper highlights videos, Mike is shown as a contender in a major 9-ball tournament. His opponent has missed halfway into the first rack, leaving an open table.

Mike has a shot on the lowest numbered OB and it's not too appealing. Mike's lifetime of adjusting the CB to perfection for his trick shot performing, reflexively kicks in . . . and with his hand he gently grips whitey and slides it four or five inches for a much better opening shot at it.

He's red-faced with embarrassment when what he's involuntarily done, dawns on him. The initial gasps of the puzzled audience turn into hearty roaring laughter.

Mike kind of nods with bewildered agreement and then good-naturedly shakes his head and smiles a bit at the unintentional tomfoolery of it -- as in what in the hell was I thinking.

Ball in hand for his opponent.

Arnaldo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To warm up before a rotation tournament, I generally play a few racks of BIH 6-ball ghost, just to get in the rhythm of moving the ball around and to get a feel for table speed.

My first match of a good size 9-ball tournament, having just done that, I break, drop the 1 and the wing ball, then confidently walk up to the wide open table and pick up the cue ball in gleeful expectation of an easy out… 😑
Sounds familiar. I spend far more time in my basement on my table than in a pool hall and those habits carry over. Good news is I did win the match but I felt like an idiot.

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck I wass embarresed on a Missed Break as I missed the Cue ball on throwing my body into the shot embarresed , but to read these stories I feel that it is not that big of deal lol

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Here is one for you about a former team mate. He wasa 6 and cocky as heck. One of those that thought he was good and didnt mind telling anyone around how good he thought he was. He was a decent shot and new to apa and quickly rose to a 6/6. Guess it went to his head.

So we get to tri cups and the opposing team throws a 3 on mr hotshot. This was in 9 ball. I dont remember the points total but vividly remember the score being 19-1 in the 3's favor.

This 3 must have had a rabbits foot in his pocket and a pool god sitting on his shoulder. He couldnt miss anything and made so many efren type shots and was hittjng everything at warp speed and balls flyung all over the table and finding pockets.

When it was over the 6 puts hus cues in his case and walks out the door without sayung anything to anyone.

I text him later to tell him when our next match was. Never heard back. I text him a few days later when he didnt ahow for league. Never heard back. I finally get a text from him 6 months later askimg if i knew anyone who would buy his cues. He had quit pool entirely after that 3 kicked his azz and never saw or heard from him again.

I guess that azz whipping by a lowly 3 really embarrased him.
We had a lady SL3 (9-ball) play a new guy (to league play) on the opponents team. Many years ago. She beat him 20-0. The guy quietly put his cue back into his case and quietly walked out the door and left his cue behind. He was never seen or heard from again by his teammates.

Maniac

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After being knocked out of my first big tournament (went 2 for 4) I decided to join the hard luck tournament. Won my first match (ironically, I knocked the same guy out of both the main and the hard luck ;)) then lost the second and was told there were no more matches to be played that night (11'sh) so I head to bed, get up, grab the stick and head to the TD and ask when I play - I was then informed the hard luck was single elimination :rolleyes: I was so busy enjoying myself I didn't even bother paying attention, just signed up and said where do I play.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed seeing a ball on the table like a couple of others stated. Playing 8 ball i broke and ran out . i stood up feeling quite proud of myself and my captain says ....you missed a ball. I turned around to see a bright orange ball sittimg right smack dab in the middle of the table...i had shot solids. The bad thing is i had shot right past the 5 with the cue ball in order to make the 8.

Here is one for you about a former team mate. He wasa 6 and cocky as heck. One of those that thought he was good and didnt mind telling anyone around how good he thought he was. He was a decent shot and new to apa and quickly rose to a 6/6. Guess it went to his head.

So we get to tri cups and the opposing team throws a 3 on mr hotshot. This was in 9 ball. I dont remember the points total but vividly remember the score being 19-1 in the 3's favor.

This 3 must have had a rabbits foot in his pocket and a pool god sitting on his shoulder. He couldnt miss anything and made so many efren type shots and was hittjng everything at warp speed and balls flyung all over the table and finding pockets.

When it was over the 6 puts hus cues in his case and walks out the door without sayung anything to anyone.

I text him later to tell him when our next match was. Never heard back. I text him a few days later when he didnt ahow for league. Never heard back. I finally get a text from him 6 months later askimg if i knew anyone who would buy his cues. He had quit pool entirely after that 3 kicked his azz and never saw or heard from him again.

I guess that azz whipping by a lowly 3 really embarrased him.

I played a female SL2 a couple of years ago in an APA tournament, everyone was telling her how sorry they were she had to play me (I'm an SL9).

Well f me running - she smoked me (a lot of luck be she definitely earned it also), I'm not sure how many points I got but the end score was 18-2.

The best part is this - prior to me, any other SL9 in the league would've been pissed but I was cheering her on and gave her tips afterwards ;)

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I played a female SL2 a couple of years ago in an APA tournament, everyone was telling her how sorry they were she had to play me (I'm an SL9).

Well f me running - she smoked me (a lot of luck be she definitely earned it also), I'm not sure how many points I got but the end score was 18-2.

The best part is this - prior to me, any other SL9 in the league would've been pissed but I was cheering her on and gave her tips afterwards ;)
That's the hell of it, to win as a higher ranked player against a lower rank, you must play your "A" game. The crazy part is, for a lower ranked player, you also must play your "A" game. If handicap systems are accurate (some APA are damn perfect with no sandbaggers because they don't care) both players must play at peak performance to win. Fair handicap is exciting for both players, as a better player, it makes you damn nervous if you know you have to run 50 to their 12. You gotta steel your mind and treat these matches as if you can't screw up once, because you can't, even as the much higher ranked player.

When I did a season of APA (brand new league, no starting rankings unless a well know player) it was the most fun I've had. Just getting back into pool after a decade of not playing, I had to WORK to get a win against a much better opponent. We had one dude who just lived and loved pool, an utterly great player, in the top 10% of gamblers in my area, my wife played him and safety-ed him every shot if she had no shot, or couldn't strategically better her chances. It was the first time she seriously played pool in her life so she lacked shotmaking and knowledge, but she knew cue ball control and where to leave him for the worst shot on the table. He absolutely loved it. He was just vibing in that match, just dead stroke zone. He was laughing and just enjoying the hell out of trying to escape lock up safeties. He ended up winning, but he and my wife were within 2 of their wildly different handicap scores.

JC

Coos Cues
Was down in Vegas playing BCA 8 ball teams and my opponent left me with my last ball completely blocked by one of his but about a foot behind it near the end rail. I decided to spin the cue ball around his ball and try to get a hit figuring if I missed it would spin back into it on the rebound and for some reason I don't know to this day, I called safe.

Spun it around and cut my ball right into the corner pocket at about 70 degrees and got perfect shape on the 8 ball. My team was so excited until they realized I had called safe. We lost the match hill hill a while later.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine:

I was playing in a tournament and there were 8 players left. I was going to play in approx 30 minutes when a big gas attack hit me so I went outside, past the weed smokers, into a secluded area of the parking lot and 'let er rip'. You know the old saying, never trust a fart, well yeah you got it. I made my way back into the building trying to hide it the best I could and into the restroom. My underwear was covered, and the back of my khaki shorts had a spot 3 inches wide and six inches long. I was in panic mode.
I stuffed my underwear into the trash can as far as I could, took off my shorts and all they had was a bar of soap at the sink. There I was with a t-shirt and a pair of shoes and nothing else. When I heard someone coming on the bouncy wood floors I would duck into a stall till they left. I finally got the color out, but the shorts were soaked in the back. I got them as dry as I could with the paper towels they had, walked back to my chair and sat down. I immediately jumped up, yelling a few choice words, stating that someone had poured beer in my chair and it was all over me. The bartender threw me a towel and in front of everyone I dried my shorts, still pissed off at the imaginary person who had done this.
I lost my next match and hurried out of there, but I got away with it. :)
Good thread! Similar story to yours, but involving a football player.

Bubba Ray was a walk on offensive lineman at the University of Alabama in the mid 90's. At 6'5" 320, he was plenty big, but not coordinated, and dumb as a box of rocks, and so never got to even dress out for games, much less play.

His senior year, he finally got to dress for a game against Southern Miss, and us being up by 40 points in the 4th quarter, he actually got the nod to enter the game. All on the sideline watched and cheered as he lumbered out to the huddle (he was a center). The play happened, a 2 yard run up the middle, and we noticed Bubba on a dead Sprint back to the sideline where he promptly went to the o-line chairs, sat down, and commenced to dousing himself with Gatorade. I mean he poured it on his head, his crotch, down his back...he was drenched! By the time we got over there and asked him just what in the he'll he was doing, he said he was so nervous that when he snapped the ball and fired off into the d-lineman, he shat himself good and proper! Being as the team wore white pants, the only thing he could think to do was try and soak himself in red Gatorade to hide it from the 80k+ fans in attendance. That was the one and only play in Bubba Ray's career!

PracticeChampion

9 ball tournament that started Saturday and went until it ended, non-stop play. Well I made thru alot of guys and now it's Sunday at like 8am, everyone dead tired as you can imagine. Anyway so my match is called and I win for first break. I get down and really plan to hit um hard, well I sorta jumped the cue ball and it just skims the one ball which added loft and since the tables were positioned end to end it flys over towards the next table where some unlucky fellow was just about break. Drills him between shoulder blades and if I remember right it ended on there table. Not much I could say but sorry and sit down LoL. Lost next 2 matches for a 12th out of 150+ players so still a good tournament but won't ever go thru that misery again

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I had a situation occur during my first season in a league. My team made it to the money tournament. I remember not really knowing what was going on, but still exited to be a part of it all. Our captain was unable to be there, so the next most experienced player was in charge (we'll call him Joe Level 7). He explained the basic rules and sent us to find a table to practice on. I would guess we were only there about 30 minutes when he walked up to us, said we were out of the tournament, and to gather up our stuff and meet him outside.

Turns out he was in the middle of playing when one of our team mates (Don Level 5) arrived late and went to the table where Joe was playing. The game moderator asked him who he was and he said Don. The moderator was confused because the guy playing said his name was Don. So we got the boot because Joe lied about who he was so he could manipulate the numbers to play, and to play with an advantage.

He made claims to make it up to us as we left the parking lot, but he essentially disappeared and left us to our embarrassment.

TOMECOLE

I was breaking real hard on 10 ball. Caught my thumb in my pants pocket, ripped the pocket off and nearly broke my thumb. Couldn't use my right hand for a week.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's mine:

I was playing in a tournament and there were 8 players left. I was going to play in approx 30 minutes when a big gas attack hit me so I went outside, past the weed smokers, into a secluded area of the parking lot and 'let er rip'. You know the old saying, never trust a fart, well yeah you got it. I made my way back into the building trying to hide it the best I could and into the restroom. My underwear was covered, and the back of my khaki shorts had a spot 3 inches wide and six inches long. I was in panic mode.
I stuffed my underwear into the trash can as far as I could, took off my shorts and all they had was a bar of soap at the sink. There I was with a t-shirt and a pair of shoes and nothing else. When I heard someone coming on the bouncy wood floors I would duck into a stall till they left. I finally got the color out, but the shorts were soaked in the back. I got them as dry as I could with the paper towels they had, walked back to my chair and sat down. I immediately jumped up, yelling a few choice words, stating that someone had poured beer in my chair and it was all over me. The bartender threw me a towel and in front of everyone I dried my shorts, still pissed off at the imaginary person who had done this.
I lost my next match and hurried out of there, but I got away with it. :)
Around 20 years ago. I was at a WPBA tournament as a spectator. We tried to attend a number of women’s pro tournaments back then. Allison and Gerda had appeared at our poolroom in NC a number of times for exhibitions and we’d become friends, so we enjoyed going to some of their tournaments to support them.

I was headed to the restrooms and somehow not paying attention, found myself mistakenly having walked in to the women’s restroom, a big restroom with a number of women in it. When I immediately saw the women and realized what I’d done, I turned around to quickly make my way out. Who do I pass walking in before I’d made it out? Allison of course!

I’m quite sure she saw me but walked right by, perhaps acting like she didn’t recognize me to avoid further embarrassing me. To this day, I never mentioned it to her and she never brought it up to me. I might sometime soon, as I’m just curious as to whether she recalls the incident.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was practicing with my league team. One of the guys on the team, who is a fairly large fellow, was bent over to table to take a shot. As he was doing so, his butt crack made an appearance. Of course, being the smart-ass that I am, said something to the effect of.... "Now that's a smile none of us will forget". At that very moment, he turned around and gave me a dirty look, and then down came his pants. His next shot was taken with his pants and underwear down around his thighs. I don't recall ever seeing that room filled with so much laughter. The good thing is, he did make the shot.