Anyone have a hard time listening to Scott Frost in the MC?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
While I enjoy what he says sometimes, I can't help but think about all that shady BS with Dippy, the truck (Yukon, whatever it was) at the DCC, and Scott's overall poor attitude towards fellow competitors.

Anyone else think about that.

mattydrva

He seemed a little nervous to me which is understandable. Definitely not as comfortable as I've heard him on YouTube (Railbirds I believe) where I find his one pocket commentary engaging.

KUKABUKA

Bit surprising theyd have him on as I thought he was widely known as a bully with poor sportsmanship, is a 1p expert, 9 ball regular pro.

And he's just okay at commentating. Could improve, who knows

Edit: I don't know if he is a bully, just what I've heard

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't catch any this session, except 30 some seconds. On the prior MR event I listened to him a couple matches, and some of the interviews. I thought he did a good job with his content. My only feedback was he seemed forced. As if he was trying to have excellent vocabulary and speaking skills. It seemed somewhat unnatural. I've heard some of his prior commentary over the years, and I never got the "unnatural" impression then. He just seemed like one of the guys then.

I do think Scott is a net positive, and look forward to hearing him tomorrow.

Karl Boyes IMO is the most natural of the commentators. He speaks during commentary the same way he does talking with a buddy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the drama mentioned in the first post, actually no, none of that ever crossed my mind. We are all pool players. I think that stuff makes him more interesting. IMO:)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the content Scott delivers, always have. As someone who listens to voices, accented speech, and colloquy for a living, when I was listening to him yesterday, I'm not sure why, but he reminded me of Mr. Rogers—his enunciation of each word, speaking slowly, and the fluctuation of his voice. It's a lovely day in the neighborhood—in London town. :cool:

It's actually nice to listen to an American accent. I really enjoy Phil Yates too, even with his accent. He does a lot of research beforehand and shares historical wisdom nuggets.

Scott is definitely trying to deliver the best, and I'm giving him a round of applause. And besides, I always did like listening to Mr. Rogers.

mr20rogers (1).jpg

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Not knocking' or saying he's good or bad.... but Few/if any pool players have the right ''stuff''.
None that I know of have gotten an education and training in classrooms at a university to develop their/this trade.
Very few on camera announcers that HAVE schooling.... make it in the real world/period.

Your local news casters are a perfect example, and I'm sure you don't like ''all of em''.
Some are good, some are GREAT and some are just another pretty face.

If you look at all the NFL players and coaches etc that have done their part/coming and going in announcing and on camera live.... very few are great at their trade.

And that's the way it is.

bm

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
grady mathews always strived for verbal eloquence, nothing wrong in that. i learned new words and phrases listening to grady. scott will grow into the role i'm sure.

It's actually nice to listen to an American accent. I really enjoy Phil Yates too, even with his accent. He does a lot of research beforehand and shares historical wisdom nuggets.

as long as he does stats and player history stuff i can tolerate him. i watch snooker where he's sometimes hired by eurosport or itv and i don't like his negativity in commentating play. he's the same in pool.

Reactions: JAM

HitHrdNDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the commentary and i think the contrast between he and yates is entertaining... obviously there could be some improvement but I think he will get better with time. I could give a rats a** about his personal life or things in the past... he's commentating on pool, not running for mayor...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the content Scott delivers, always have. As someone who listens to voices, accented speech, and colloquy for a living, when I was listening to him yesterday, I'm not sure why, but he reminded me of Mr. Rogers—his enunciation of each word, speaking slowly, and the fluctuation of his voice. It's a lovely day in the neighborhood—in London town. :cool:

Scott is definitely trying to deliver the best, and I'm giving him a round of applause. And besides, I always did like listening to Mr. Rogers.

View attachment 731384
Cooorny lol. I'd prefer Lisciotti... (rip)

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeh I enjoy listening to him and his perspective. He is very much a rookie in this kind of set up. But they all were.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott is doing okay as far as I'm concerned. This job is a lot different than doing an online stream. He's now talking to the world on major television networks, and not a few hundred One Pocket fans. Trust me it's not that easy.

It takes a period of time to get comfortable with this role and Scott is ahead of the curve. Overall I'd give him a solid B for his first time working the MC. He needs to stand a little more still when doing Stand Ups. He knows the game and communicates most of the pertinent info well. He doesn't talk too much or too long, so he's good there. He has a nice clear/strong voice and that's also a plus. I like his enthusiasm too.

Oh one more thing Scott. Lose the jeans! 😁

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love everything about Scott accept the fact he thinks we should allow jump sticks in one pocket. Yes he really said that.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I think he did pretty good at one of the bigger events not too long ago. It seems matchroom took notice and decided to give him a try. I've enjoyed it so far, and most of the assessments seem spot on.