anyone looking to put me in us open

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
I'll leave that for the adminstrators to decide. In my opinion John was giving an invitation to a group of people who already know him. Not really soliciting for public interest. Similar to the way I posted here about sharing accommodations.

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post. You seemed to think Macguy had a point. If you have seen the countless negative / attacking posts by Macguy over many months I'd doubt you'd support him. He's a know all that doesn't know so much, who has never showed the slightest hint of admitting a wrong doing. At least not in my memory. ANyone with any sense avoids him like the plague, but it's as annoying as hell to have him come in here and launch his attacks without criticism, or just leaving one poster to defend themselves against his turgid logic.

Hope that explains my understanding and motivation for posting that reply to you Nick.

Colin

Colin,
I don't agree or disagree with his post. I'm defending his right to post as long as it follows some decorum. I've seen many a idiot post constant senseless dribble or just plain out type their "opposition". I'm not concerned the JS posted his offer. That behaviour is for the MODs to decide. The fact he wants some potential backing is HIS and the BACKER'S, not mine.

At times I find the room a little cliquey were we excuse the conduct of long term "friends" and immediately dismiss the arguments of someone we think we don't like. Thus is human nature.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy said:
It's a good thing everybody doesn't think like that or there would be no tournaments period. Look at what you sunk into the IPT and you had no chance to be in the top 100 but you played for the sport of it. Doesn't playing the sport come first the chance to compete, or is it just about money? They only play the US Open once a year and that title is a nice thing to have how could someone just dismiss playing because they don't want to pay an entry fee?

Either way I should have been out of here Monday and today is Thursday and unless I get a DSL line up at the property I won't have the pleasure of reading your answer for a month or so. I will leave you with this though, most pool players have nothing and never will because they are always waiting to that elusive handout instead of taking control of and responsibility for their lives.
There's a flaw in your logic here. John is taking control responsibly here, managing his budget in what really is a game of risk. Risk management makes sense.

Bringing me into it is irrellevant. Nor is the snide back-handed ad-hominem appreciated. It may be your opinion that I never had a chance to make the top 100, but it was never my belief, though I knew I had to get my game up to scratch and maybe catch a few breaks. If one game at hill-hill in vegas had gone the other way and a couple in Reno then I'd be right on track. I did BRO at 31% at Reno which put me around the top 50 in that category. And I think my current game is significantly below where it can be with more practice / tournies.

I'm no star, but I'm no hack. I'm not deluded about my abilities. And besides, I'd never resort to criticizing a person based on their pool abilities. It's not a measure of character. Those who claim great abilities but play poorly, are another story.

Anyway, good luck to John and whichever backer supports him at the US Open.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick B said:
Colin,
I don't agree or disagree with his post. I'm defending his right to post as long as it follows some decorum. I've seen many a idiot post constant senseless dribble or just plain out type their "opposition". I'm not concerned the JS posted his offer. That behaviour is for the MODs to decide. The fact he wants some potential backing is HIS and the BACKER'S, not mine.

At times I find the room a little cliquey were we excuse the conduct of long term "friends" and immediately dismiss the arguments of someone we think we don't like. Thus is human nature.
Trust me Nick, I'm not the cliquey type (if that's how it's spelt). I make an effort to get along with everyone. Something Macguy does not do.

I've never complained to admin via PM about a single poster in my 4+ years here, but if it were my forum I'd not allow Macguy to participate. Not for his negativity on the IPT, but for his constant negativity, nit-picking and condescension. He's clearly not a stupid man, and some of his points on some subjects are valid, but it's the way the are often presented, in a clearly critical and unfriendly manner that is most objectionable.

I must have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning:D
Cheers,
Colin

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
I do not dislike John.....when you post something on a public forum, you have to be willing to hear all opinions. If he/you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! ok Wonder Woman.....keep flying in to the rescue.

Southpaw

Ok, were you calling Timberly Wonder Woman or were you trolling for me? How did I become involved if it was I you were calling for? I love John but I am certainly not his groupie. (And neither is Timberly!) His playing speaks for itself. If he wants a backer, it should be no problem posting or finding one and no one should stink up his thread with their negative thoughts about it. Start your own thread if you want to.

And Colin plays jam up! He really should be in the Top 100 and still has a chance if he can advance to the 3rd round in Chicago.

T

Timberly

rackmsuckr said:
Ok, were you calling Timberly Wonder Woman or were you trolling for me? How did I become involved if it was I you were calling for? Linda he wasn't calling you. He was basically calling me a super hero running to John's rescue. Maybe they don't have friends so they can't understand the concept of friendship. I love John but I am certainly not his groupie. (And neither is Timberly!) His playing speaks for itself. If he wants a backer, it should be no problem posting or finding one and no one should stink up his thread with their negative thoughts about it. Start your own thread if you want to.

And Colin plays jam up! He really should be in the Top 100 and still has a chance if he can advance to the 3rd round in Chicago.
It's a shame that females that truly enjoy the game of pool are constantly called groupies. I might not play anymore but I love watching the game played on a pro level. I thoroughly enjoy watching good pool. When I go to a tournament, I go to actually watch the tournament. I'm not there to see and be seen with so & so... Big F'n deal... they're players, so what. They're also human just like anyone else. When I did play pool I was fortunate enough to live in an area that was action packed and because of this I became friends with some of the players. I enjoy watching pool on the pro level and I enjoy hanging out and drinking a few beers after the tournament with some of the players that I'm friends with. THAT is not a groupie. There are some groupies within the pool world but I am not one of them. :rolleyes:

Groupie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A groupie is a person who, while she/he may be a fan on some level, seeks intimacy (most often physical, sometimes emotional) with a famous person.

Groupie is derived from group, meaning a musical band, but now has more general application. The term ”groupie” is often, although by no means always, used derogatorily.

The techniques used by groupies to get close to their targets vary almost as much as the groupies themselves. Certainly, female groupies can wear clothing which highlight their physical attributes — or remove clothing, for that matter. Sometimes their dogged persistence at pursuing their lust object and sexual availability are enough.

Female groupies in particular are known for a long-standing tradition of being available for, and willing to have, sexual intercourse with celebrities, rock stars, professional athletes, politicians, and other public figures regardless of the fact that the objects of their obsession may already be married with children, or otherwise already in a committed relationship. There are other male dominated professions and occupations that appear to attract groupies as well, such as law enforcement and firefighters (especially after 9/11[1]), the military (these women are sometimes referred to as "Allotment Annies", "debs", or camp followers)[2], preachers and ministers. Even convicted criminals sometimes have followers.

Some groupie fantasies go so far as to create an imaginary world wherein they would be the replacements for their targets’ primary relationships (marrying them, or at least becoming their "road wife"), with some making themselves available to any famous celebrity (any rock band that rolls into town), while others focus closely on one particular target (and becoming a "regular").

While perhaps only a small number of groupies are truly promiscuous in that they are willing to trade sexual favors for attention (and often expensive gifts), the tradition of "rock and roll groupies" continues to the present day, contributing to the image of the rock-and-roll lifestyle as one where sex and drugs are readily available at any time.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Timberly said:
It's a shame that females that truly enjoy the game of pool are constantly called groupies. I might not play anymore but I love watching the game played on a pro level. I thoroughly enjoy watching good pool. When I go to a tournament, I go to actually watch the tournament. I'm not there to see and be seen with so & so... Big F'n deal... they're players, so what. They're also human just like anyone else. When I did play pool I was fortunate enough to live in an area that was action packed and because of this I became friends with some of the players. I enjoy watching pool on the pro level and I enjoy hanging out and drinking a few beers after the tournament with some of the players that I'm friends with. THAT is not a groupie. There are some groupies within the pool world but I am not one of them. :rolleyes:

Groupie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A groupie is a person who, while she/he may be a fan on some level, seeks intimacy (most often physical, sometimes emotional) with a famous person.

Groupie is derived from group, meaning a musical band, but now has more general application. The term ”groupie” is often, although by no means always, used derogatorily.

The techniques used by groupies to get close to their targets vary almost as much as the groupies themselves. Certainly, female groupies can wear clothing which highlight their physical attributes — or remove clothing, for that matter. Sometimes their dogged persistence at pursuing their lust object and sexual availability are enough.

Female groupies in particular are known for a long-standing tradition of being available for, and willing to have, sexual intercourse with celebrities, rock stars, professional athletes, politicians, and other public figures regardless of the fact that the objects of their obsession may already be married with children, or otherwise already in a committed relationship. There are other male dominated professions and occupations that appear to attract groupies as well, such as law enforcement and firefighters (especially after 9/11[1]), the military (these women are sometimes referred to as "Allotment Annies", "debs", or camp followers)[2], preachers and ministers. Even convicted criminals sometimes have followers.

Some groupie fantasies go so far as to create an imaginary world wherein they would be the replacements for their targets’ primary relationships (marrying them, or at least becoming their "road wife"), with some making themselves available to any famous celebrity (any rock band that rolls into town), while others focus closely on one particular target (and becoming a "regular").

While perhaps only a small number of groupies are truly promiscuous in that they are willing to trade sexual favors for attention (and often expensive gifts), the tradition of "rock and roll groupies" continues to the present day, contributing to the image of the rock-and-roll lifestyle as one where sex and drugs are readily available at any time.

wow, I see a whole bunch of ramble, but not an apology for including me in your criticism without any basis.

cmssuits

"Hi, I'm Jimmy P!"
Silver Member
Super thread, I love it juicy and personal!

Colin Colenso said:
He's clearly not a stupid man, and some of his points on some subjects are valid, but it's the way the are often presented, in a clearly critical and unfriendly manner that is most objectionable.

Cheers,
Colin

Colin, you of all posters should see macguy's point from his very first post. It's about the money and what macguy thinks is a "pool player mentality." There's nothing negative about it.

The math...according to AZ in the years 2003-2005 Mr. Schmidt played in 44 tournaments and cashed $76,620 which averages $1,741 per event. So 40% of that wins the backer $696 and 60% wins the backer $1,044.

Mr. Schmidt responded by saying "the person who put up money could lose is like a 1000 or less.but lets say i win it they win like 20,30,thousand.its called gambling." Which is true, John's an awesome player, and he could win the tournament, but, John's not the one that's actually gambling, the Backer is with his $1000 or $1700. Now williebetmore says "The player wants a backer as insurance if he does poorly." But in John's case, it's not "if he does poorly," but if he doesn't do a lot better than his average of $1,741 per tournament.

So what macguy wants to know from Mr. Schmidt is, if it's a good bet, then why doesn't Mr. Schmidt bet it himself? This is what macguy calls "pool player mentality." Like pool players are always looking for a handout. Of course that's not true, all players don't operate that way.

It's just good business for John to market himself this way to get a little expense hedge and gives someone a chance to win big. The chances suck, but this is America Baby!

Peace out - Donny

PS- I'm a John Schmidt fan and it could have been any number of pros in the example. I wish JS the best of luck AND if there were more money in pool we wouldn't be having this discussion.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

well i see what your saying about my average finish. but what i think some people are overlooking is if the 44 tourneys i played in all payed like the us open my average per tourney would be like 6 times higher.for someone to put up like 1500 and have a super chance to break even and also a chance to make a few thou or even say 5-25 thousand thats not bad for me and backer. by the way the guys i usually get to stake me are not making 5 dollars an hour. their usually guys like bookies,poker players basically people who have lots of money and gamble. im probably doing them a favor because if not for staking me their betting on some guy whos dumping them,or their playing craps or whatever. well anyway i havent hardly played much pool in the last year,but im going to the open to see if i can win a match or two,talk to you guys later

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cmssuits said:
Colin, you of all posters should see macguy's point from his very first post. It's about the money and what macguy thinks is a "pool player mentality." There's nothing negative about it.

The math...according to AZ in the years 2003-2005 Mr. Schmidt played in 44 tournaments and cashed $76,620 which averages $1,741 per event. So 40% of that wins the backer $696 and 60% wins the backer $1,044.

Mr. Schmidt responded by saying "the person who put up money could lose is like a 1000 or less.but lets say i win it they win like 20,30,thousand.its called gambling." Which is true, John's an awesome player, and he could win the tournament, but, John's not the one that's actually gambling, the Backer is with his $1000 or $1700. Now williebetmore says "The player wants a backer as insurance if he does poorly." But in John's case, it's not "if he does poorly," but if he doesn't do a lot better than his average of $1,741 per tournament.

So what macguy wants to know from Mr. Schmidt is, if it's a good bet, then why doesn't Mr. Schmidt bet it himself? This is what macguy calls "pool player mentality." Like pool players are always looking for a handout. Of course that's not true, all players don't operate that way.

It's just good business for John to market himself this way to get a little expense hedge and gives someone a chance to win big. The chances suck, but this is America Baby!

Peace out - Donny

PS- I'm a John Schmidt fan and it could have been any number of pros in the example. I wish JS the best of luck AND if there were more money in pool we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Hi Donny,
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I'd also suggest, as John did, that the expected return for the US Open is probably higher being that it has larger prize-money than most events. Though with a tougher field.

It is considered professional practice among bookies to lay off on every race or event whenever possible to minimize their potential losses. Is this bookie mentality? You don't have to answer that;)

There's nothing wrong with speculating about the return or how such a system could benefit one party over another, though doing so politely would be well advised considering the post, though public, is directed at associates. But clearly Macguy was making a slur upon John's character in his postings. And that is why myself and others directed criticism towards him.

It is rare that pros like John come onto the board. The reason is that some members here jump at a chance to try to show some mental or moral superiority over them. As a community we needn't idolize them, but it's good to have them around to get some real insights into the minds and goings on of pro-players, so being courteous and giving the benefit of doubt would seem appropriate.

The fact that Macguy managed to PO John straight away shows he is far less interested in courteousy than he is in stamping his own moral and intellectual superiority. He has a loooong track record of doing this.

I've probably made my points at too much length already so I'll leave it there.

No hard feelings, peace,
Colin

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
well i see what your saying about my average finish. but what i think some people are overlooking is if the 44 tourneys i played in all payed like the us open my average per tourney would be like 6 times higher.for someone to put up like 1500 and have a super chance to break even and also a chance to make a few thou or even say 5-25 thousand thats not bad for me and backer. by the way the guys i usually get to stake me are not making 5 dollars an hour. their usually guys like bookies,poker players basically people who have lots of money and gamble. im probably doing them a favor because if not for staking me their betting on some guy whos dumping them,or their playing craps or whatever. well anyway i havent hardly played much pool in the last year,but im going to the open to see if i can win a match or two,talk to you guys later

John,
I hope that you got what you posted/asked for - a backer. You say that you are going to compete - good fortune to you and yours.

I admire your moxie to post that you are looking for a backer. AZ Billiards should have a section on this forum where players and backers can negotiate $$ and percentages like E-Bay.

You are one of the only players that have declared that you have been paid by the IPT through Las Vegas. We all hope that you get your Reno money soon - the reason for your post?

Good luck/rolls/brakes and kick some a--...

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
LAMas said:
You are one of the only players that have declared that you have been paid by the IPT through Las Vegas. QUOTE]

Just to sidetrack a little...other than the post that Jay made regarding Marcus and anyone having side action on the players, everyone I know got paid from Vegas.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Nick B said:
Colin,
I'm defending his right to post as long as it follows some decorum.

At times I find the room a little cliquey were we excuse the conduct of long term "friends" and immediately dismiss the arguments of someone we think we don't like.

NickB,
You make an excellent point about living in a free society.

Mac/Smash/Vette are free to post whatever they wish (with or without your specified "decorum"....their posts would be decorum-less in the minds of all forum members outside of Folsom prison).

Fortunately we are free to also think of them what we will (and it is not very positive). Forum members that exhibit total lack of common courtesy are shunned, castigated, and roundly ignored by most knowledgeable forum members - they lower the general high level of discourse, and they drive away many pro's that could definitely be valuable forum assets.

If there is a "clique" that routinely defends people from such classless and ignorant attacks - PLEASE SIGN ME UP FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE CLIQUE. Perhaps we can give an AZB room discount to all clique members.

cmssuits

"Hi, I'm Jimmy P!"
Silver Member
nice...

Colin Colenso said:
Hi Donny,
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I'd also suggest, as John did, that the expected return for the US Open is probably higher being that it has larger prize-money than most events.
No hard feelings, peace,
Colin

If you're going to suggest that argument, then to be fair we should limit it to just US Opens, *looks at the numbers* :eek:, which amounts to $666 per event. Much worse than even his complete average. Damn John, you are absolutely due to make a score in this event! :D

Seriously though, it's a tough sport/game to make ends meet even as a top pro. It's a shame that a player of John's caliber doesn't make more money for what he does on the table. Macguy exploits this and gets everyone riled up, making it more personal than it should be. It does get old. He obviously likes pool and I'm sure he'd say he wishes there was more income potential for players too.

I think this is the heart of the IPT, where Sigel especially (and others) had to put up with this mentality for his whole career; to the point where it wasn't financially worth it even if you win consistently. Even though it shouldn't be, it's embarrassing to be so good in your field and win so many events, but financially not be able to do the other things in life you should be able to do. Mike genuinely would like to see pool players have more earning potential for the effort they put into the game. Like others, I can't wait for this change to happen.

Thanks for not gettin' pissed off!

Donny

^^^^^
who usually roots for Keith 'cause he's a beauty, but would like to see John win a big one too

grisbe

Registered
John is not only one of the best players in the world, he is one of the sport's gentleman and genuine nice guys. A friend and I had the pleasure of doing a small favor for him once, and he really tried to go out of his way to show us how grateful he was. I've never seen him be anything but kind.

John, I hope you keep contributing to this board. Don't let yourself be dragged into the mud!

John Que

Registered
macguy said:
Wait a minute, a guy who plays his speed and he won't even put up the money to play himself? Remember he said he has to give Barry an answer meaning if someone won't stake him he isn't playing, that is ridiculous, I'm sorry. This is the future of professional pool, even players who have a chance to win don't want to pay?
Maybe you aren't familiar with pro pool. You should get out from behind your PC(by all your posts thats seems all you have time for) and go see a few matches. Maybe go travel the tour and see how much it costs you. Its that kind of mentallity that keeps these guys from making any money @ this game. Its tough to find sponsors, unlike the other sports. John is a great player, he backs himself more than most. So when you get back you can tell everyone how easy it was to put yourself in every tournament. Oh and as for the comment about "then he can get to hang around with the pros you obviously don't know much about John either. Hey John get in touch, maybe I can help. But I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and hope all the rolls go your way.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wished you well and you are living up to it at the Open. You should do well for your backers despite your detractors. Keep it up at the Open.

Purdman

Banned
Well Macguy, John and I are glad you are concerned about us. I will tell you this, John has more class in his turds than you do in your whole familey history starting from day one! LOL
Wish you could be here buddy! This is the first time for me and what a ride. To bad you are a nit and have no heart.
Ya gotta love it man, eat some humble pie BOY!!!
Purdman

MyraCurfs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deuel Defeats Archer in Chesapeake

As day four of the US Open draws to a close, the winners side is now down to just sixteen players.

Top p[ayers still unbeaten include Corey Deuel, Gabe Owen, Mika Immonen, Earl Strickland, John Schmidt, Ronnie Alcano, Charlie Bryant, Ryan McCreesh, Troy Frank and Darren Appleton. Deuel remained unbeaten via a hill-hill victory over Johnny Archer.

Friday will see winners side matches featuring Gabe Owen vs Corey Deuel, Robb Saez vs Mika Immonen, Troy Frank vs Ryan McCreesh and Earl Strickland vs CJ Wiley.

Thursday play saw the end of the line as top players including Charlie Williams, Allen Hopkins, Tang Hoa and Wade Crane were handed their second losses.

Online brackets are updated and will be updated again on Friday afternoon

So who made the deal!!??