Anyone using chalk off?

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Been using this stuff for a couple of years. I thought it was great but now I notice my table playing slow. (Humidity is low, artemus k55 rails are dead straight and almost new, 760 simonis 3 years old but not pitting much.)

Dug out my old horse hair brush instead of using chalk off, and it seemed to play a tad faster. Thinking of trying to get the stuff off with a wet rag. Anyone else have this problem or is it all in my head?

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a can of the stuff in my billiard room cupboard,it's been there for 3yrs.
I've used like 4 times,, I think it's just a gimmick,, and it honestly doesnt work very well...

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I havn't used Chalk Off but I have used another brand. It seemed to work but not like I thought it would. I just took the cloth off my table though and the cloth under the rails was caked with dirt and cleaner residue. I also used to vacuum my table but stopped doing that when my sucker was balling up the chalk under the cloth and leaving bumps. I think the best one can do is try not to chalk over the table, brush it and wipe it down with a damp cloth and keep it covered. I think once the chalk and dirt from regular play works through the cloth your not going to get much of it back through it. Treat it the best you can and when it wears out replace it.
P.S. Might be my little Oreck vacuum is a bit to strong. A vacuum w/brush set up would probably be better.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
It's been my theory that putting anything like that on the cloth may just wind up leaving residue that will only serve to attract chalk, dust, dirt, and hand oils.

Try giving the table frequent brushing and an occasional good vacuuming and see if over time the cloth doesn't begin to speed up.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have found nothing beats a vacuum for cleaning tables.
Brushing moves a lot of stuff around without taking it off.
Sprays make the cloth heavier and slower.
A vacuum with the proper attachments is the best....
...a wide brush and a crevice tool.
Check your vacuum bag and you'll see what it took from the cloth.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks all. I do notice the brush improving it. What model vacuum then? Or is it just the amount of horse power? I have the little oreck too but pulz says its too strong.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. I do notice the brush improving it. What model vacuum then? Or is it just the amount of horse power? I have the little oreck too but pulz says its too strong.

i have an oreck and using the round headed attachment works perfectly.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checkout the Dyson vacuum, they have a attachment called Soft Dusting Brush...

It has long bristles with a micro fiber inner sole, works great under the cushions and arounds the pockets.

BBC

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Some will tell you more is better but I have to follow the recommendation of Simonis and go with the advice on their website for cleaning the cloth:

The cloth can be brushed, but to remove the chalk and talc powders, it can be cleaned with the new Simonis X-1® or it can be carefully vacuumed with a non-rotating brush-head attachment that does not allow for too much suction to be formed. Some small vacuums can pick up bowling balls, but this will only stretch the cloth on the table and possibly harm the grouting of the slates as well. You should test your vacuum and brush attachment off of the table first to make certain that it is not going to damage the play surface. Less is more in this department. After all, you are trying to remove a fine powder from a smooth cloth, so don't overdo it...

I use a small portable shop-vac called the Hang-Up. It's 2.5 hp. I use either the wide nozzle with no brushes and/or a wide nozzle with passive brushes. There is definitely sufficient suction to get the chalk but it's not overkill. They have narrower attachments for on and under the cushions.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I use a vacuum that'll suck everything there is out of, and off the cloth...except the color, and have never damaged the cloth. BUT...that being said, if you have plaster in the seams...it WILL get picked up and dropped off everywhere under the cloth, so my advice would be...don't let anyone recover your table and use plaster to seam the slates! Sears makes the best 1 1/4"...7" wide brush head there is for cleaning the cloth on a pool table;)

Glen

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have found nothing beats a vacuum for cleaning tables.
Brushing moves a lot of stuff around without taking it off.
Sprays make the cloth heavier and slower.
A vacuum with the proper attachments is the best....
...a wide brush and a crevice tool.
Check your vacuum bag and you'll see what it took from the cloth.

^^I concur with the above statement,, nothing tops a good vacuuming for the cleanest felt.....

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I use a vacuum that'll suck everything there is out of, and off the cloth...except the color, and have never damaged the cloth. BUT...that being said, if you have plaster in the seams...it WILL get picked up and dropped off everywhere under the cloth, so my advice would be...don't let anyone recover your table and use plaster to seam the slates! Sears makes the best 1 1/4"...7" wide brush head there is for cleaning the cloth on a pool table;)

Glen

Thanks to all for your helpful replies! Glen I will check that vac head. Hope you can still make it to work on the table next month!

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checkout the Dyson vacuum, they have a attachment called Soft Dusting Brush...

It has long bristles with a micro fiber inner sole, works great under the cushions and arounds the pockets.

BBC

That's exactly what I use and it works like a charm. You can even use the stair attachment to vacuum the table.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm not touting my system as the best, but for 4 1/2 years now I've been cleaning my Brunswick Centennial cloth in this manner, with satifactory results and no damage: First I brush the table with the horse-hair brush. Then I vacuum the cloth with a Kirby w/hose and rectangular-shaped bristle brush attachment. I used to just wipe down afterwards with a damp (very damp) cloth, but for the last few years have either used the Chalk-Off or the Quick-Clean sprays. They work okay, but not all that much better to warrant the price as compared to the damp rag, which I will be going back to once my supply of cleaning spray runs out. Except for one spot where I continuously broke a 9-ball rack from (where I SHOULD have used a break patch), and the usual track marks from racking and breaking, my cloth is in good shape considering I play many hours a week on it and it is closing in on 5 years old.

Maniac

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
bought Chalk OFf online over 4 years ago, and still have not used it yet. And will not. I was suprised to still have the can in my basement closet......

The reason is the small print on the can;

"Avoid frequent or prolongedcontact with skin and eyes. If sprayed in eyes, flush with water for 15 minutes and contact physician immediately. Provide oxygen or fresh air if overcome by vapor"

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or ther reproductive harm.

This seems like just a little too much effort and risk for cleaning my cloth in an enclosed basement with very little ventilation....... brush and vacuum clearer is cheaper and a lot less dangerous imho..... plus, no chemicals or reidue ever left behind with the bruch and vacuum method.

the diesel

Proud Pa Pa!!!
Silver Member
I use a aramith microfiber pad that you use to clean balls with. Its thick and heavy enough to wipe easily. Picks up dust, chalk and lint. I take it outside and beat it against my grill to knock the dust and chalk out. Works very well.
Hope this helps