Archer is Team USA Captain with Buddy Hall as Co-Captain for Mosconi Cup

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hey it's the Anniversary year & whether you believe it or not it is about entertainment more so than having a real & fair competition. Naturally both sides play their best & do compete.

Now that it has been announced that Buddy Hall is co-captain, I can let it out of the bag that besides SVB the rest of the team will be 'old school'.

I can't give any names yet because they have not been determined. They are actually going to have a competition to decide.

The old guys have been practicing their 'Mosconi Cup Breaks' & there will be a Breaking Competition to decide the actual members of the team.

I've heard that Nick Varner & Mike Siegel look like the favorites.

:wink: Naturally everything but the first paragraph is meant to be 'funny'. But...'funnier' things have happened.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
JA is the leader of that team regardless of who they make captain. We all seen this in the past. He talks the walk!

This doesn't even remotely answer my question... Good to see your man-crush holding strong though...

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This is great news IMO. No american has consistently faded The Cup heat better than Johnny, nor been a more influential teammate.

Johnny can put the gameplan together and Buddy can help implement.

I can't wait!

BTW, on the 14.1 live stream last night, Hatch was commentating, and responsive to chat questions. He did good commentating (except he didn't know if Wang Can was a righty or lefty, lol). He said he was very hopeful, even optimistic he'd be selected. And he sounded very jacked up @ wanting to play in it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute shot of Johnny Archer, Keith, and Buddy Hall taken at the Glass City Open in Toledo, Ohio, in 2004, I believe.

Either Johnny and Buddy are really tall or Keith is short. I guess that makes me really short. :eek:

Attachments

• Archer Keith Buddy.JPG
    Archer Keith Buddy.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 564

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute shot of Johnny Archer, Keith, and Buddy Hall taken at the Glass City Open in Toledo, Ohio, in 2004, I believe.

Either Johnny and Buddy are really tall or Keith is short. I guess that makes me really short. :eek:

I feel your pain as another short person! Love the pics you put up, can't believe you had one with my daughter in it!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain as another short person! Love the pics you put up, can't believe you had one with my daughter in it!

It is a small world sometimes, isn't it? :smile:

I have a lot of photos on another computer that I need to get. Many, many cool pool pics in that computer. :cool:

Most of them have Keith in them, of course. :wub:

Here's a really great photo of Johnny Archer taken by Diana Hoppe of Poolpics by Hoppe at the Derby City Classic. I think it really shows his personality. I like this one. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0290.JPG
    DSC_0290.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 550

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy will have the team relaxed, and probably laughing in the aisles.....He is a hoot to be around.

I did find interesting that JA said he still gets nervous talking to one of his hero's, Buddy Hall. Buddy is the EASIEST guy to talk to, and loves to tell jokes and stories.

When Indiana State went to the finals of the NCAA tournament led by Larry Bird, it was said nobody wanted to win more than Larry. But he knew when to "kid" and "cutup" and when chew somebodies a$$. I think Buddy will have the same effect.

I too, would think Corey over Dennis is a no-brainer. But, the team is "selected" verses won.

The most important thing is to win with class. Having Earl on the team makes that tough. Maybe having Buddy there will keep Earl going all "Earl".

Best of rolls,

Ken

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy will have the team relaxed, and probably laughing in the aisles.....He is a hoot to be around.

I did find interesting that JA said he still gets nervous talking to one of his hero's, Buddy Hall. Buddy is the EASIEST guy to talk to, and loves to tell jokes and stories.

When Indiana State went to the finals of the NCAA tournament led by Larry Bird, it was said nobody wanted to win more than Larry. But he knew when to "kid" and "cutup" and when chew somebodies a$$. I think Buddy will have the same effect.

I too, would think Corey over Dennis is a no-brainer. But, the team is "selected" verses won.

The most important thing is to win with class. Having Earl on the team makes that tough. Maybe having Buddy there will keep Earl going all "Earl".

Best of rolls,

Ken

It's going to be a good time for sure, no matter who is on the team. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. Buddy as co-captain to Team USA is the icing on the cake for me. :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland and Johnny Archer are three of those people in my life

Cool, I was sure CJ would get it again.
:grin:

Johnny and I had a long talk about this and my vote was for Buddy Hall. Buddy has always been an icon in my eyes and I respect and admire him a great deal. When Buddy was playing his best it was art, power, and beauty in motion, channeled through the game of pool.

Buddy has never played on the Mosconi Cup and is one of my past mentors as well. We played in several finals along the way and he beat me with 5 and 6 rack runs that showed me what it really took to be a champion. Buddy and I practiced together when we both lived in Tampa and he showed me some key elements that I still use to this day. When I came back to play and teach I took a trip up to his home town and spent a day going over the fundamentals and techniques to get me on the right path asap.

I'm glad to get a chance to be captain last year and we came SO CLOSE on that last day, if it was "meant to be" we would have won, but sometimes life's not about winning.

This year I'll be free to finish the Earl Strickland "Million Dollar" Documentary ( we were right in the middle of the Earl Strickland Million Dollar Documentary last year when I was selected for Captain), and maybe take the trip to Las Vegas to root the USA Team on to victory.

I appreciated Johnny giving me the "heads up" himself and trusting me to keep this information a secret until the Press Release. We are both in agreement that Buddy Hall would be the ideal "non playing" captain with his vast, warehouse of knowledge and playing experience.

As I get older it gives me more satisfaction to see others do well and receive the notoriety and respect they deserve......Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland and Johnny Archer are three of those people in my life and I'm VERY happy to see them honored this year.

'The Game of Life is the Teacher'

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Jen,

I was thinking the same things you said.

I thought Keith was taller.

JA with those eyes but with that bit of a wry smile.

Best,
Rick

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mosconi Cup picked the right captain this year. Wishing Archer, et al., all the very best! :)

We all will be rooting for the hometeam! :wink:

Let's get ready to rumble!

Attachments

• johnny-shane1.jpg
    johnny-shane1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess he will not be playing since he has not been active these past years.

Buddy is co-captain with Johnny. He is not playing, but Johnny will be playing as well as being captain. Buddy will be there for support and to help Johnny out with the captain duties. I think they will be excellent captains.

I might have to figure out a way to get off work and drive to Vegas again. It's going to be so much fun! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
This is a winning combination (JA gave great direction as a player last year, and NOBODY knows 9 ball better than the Rifleman)...but I reserve my excitement until I see the final team roster...the rumors are exciting, but proof will be in the pudding!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget Hatch. He played awful last year also. Puts no effort into the game, and can't handle no one on the list below. The best team America can make (unless we could use North America, and have Alex)
If this is not the team, USA will not win. Anyone else will prove to be a unseasoned weak link under this pressure, like we have seen the past couple years.

Archer
Earl
SVB
Rodney
Corey

That's the team I want to see too

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't mean this as an insult but do u suffer from a bi-polar disorder?

Ok, so you have one opportunity only to discuss your qualifications to discuss the topic of bi-polar disorder.
If you're going to tell me that you are not a qualified medical practitioner...then why would your comment be anything other than an insult?

Add to that, if this is the case, why should I not ban you?