Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
when in business and having a downhill slide of any kind. its time to act right now and do something different to bring back or in customers. at the same time giving them reason to spend more.

something along the lines of say 20% off everything this month, and women and children play for free. just to make a splash.
and maybe world champion pro on site giving all players on tables a brief free lesson.
you know, whatever feels right to market your pool room.

that place has a cheap no attraction sign out front. and an ugly entrance way.
plus those chairs are facing the wall. it looks like school where you face the wall to be punished.
think like a customer.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know all the particulars why the MBC closed so i'm not going to speculate. They had 10yrs and a guy about went blind so i'm not passing judgement. On JA's new venture its clearly not working.
What is the story on the going blind?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Davenport was JA's parner at MBC. He got hit in the eye by a golf ball and almost went totally blind. Reason he quit.
See though old and crotchety,old people can still be helpful. 😉🙂😁😆

Couldn't help myself probably never a get better chance to use this line.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim got hit in the eye with a golf ball….a rebound, if I remember correctly.
More precisely, in November of 2002, one of Kim's eyes was irreparably injured by an unseen, grass-hidden golf ball that was so-freakishly hurled at a very high velocity by the blades of a nearby maintenance mower being operated overly-close to Kim. The airborne ball ricocheted off a metal post next to Davenport’s practice tee, and struck him directly in the eye.

Kim later said “It knocked me right to the ground -- I didn’t know what happened. I couldn’t see a thing, and I was scared to death. An ambulance came and rushed me to the hospital.”

Don't know if Kim ever legally pursued a negligence causation suit regarding the tragic incident. Many of us would have done so, and others might assert that Kim should have halted play for a few minutes till the mowing equipment was well beyond his space. I have read that, legally it's assumed risk when you go on a golf course; also heard that mowers run over/sling golf balls all the time. Possibly it's as much the player's responsibility as it is the golf course employees.

He clearly heard the equipment, and quite conceivably he and the machine's operator very reasonably foresaw no danger in the proximity. It's even possible that the operator and Kim exchanged a brief mutual glance, and Kim giving him a friendly, dismissive wave conveying: "Keep working, I'm only practicing -- the noise isn't bothering me at all."

Arnaldo ~ Also possible that the mower's sound seemed far behind Kim and he would have felt totally unthreatened by it. I really shouldn't be conjecturing about who was where. By now, in 2023 -- over 20 years later -- we do know exactly what happened so tragically to Kim, and how.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More precisely, in November of 2002, one of Kim's eyes was irreparably injured by an unseen, grass-hidden golf ball that was so-freakishly hurled at a very high velocity by the blades of a nearby maintenance mower being operated overly-close to Kim. The airborne ball ricocheted off a metal post next to Davenport’s practice tee, and struck him directly in the eye.

Kim later said “It knocked me right to the ground -- I didn’t know what happened. I couldn’t see a thing, and I was scared to death. An ambulance came and rushed me to the hospital.”

Don't know if Kim ever legally pursued a negligence causation suit regarding the tragic incident. Many of us would have done so, and others might assert that Kim should have halted play for a few minutes till the mowing equipment was well beyond his space. I have read that, legally it's assumed risk when you go on a golf course; also heard that mowers run over/sling golf balls all the time. Possibly it's as much the player's responsibility as it is the golf course employees.

He clearly heard the equipment, and quite conceivably he and the machine's operator very reasonably foresaw no danger in the proximity. It's even possible that the operator and Kim exchanged a brief mutual glance, and Kim giving him a friendly, dismissive wave conveying: "Keep working, I'm only practicing -- the noise isn't bothering me at all."

Arnaldo ~ Also possible that the mower's sound seemed far behind Kim and he would have felt totally unthreatened by it. I really shouldn't be conjecturing about who was where. By now, in 2023 -- over 20 years later -- we do know exactly what happened so tragically to Kim, and how.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm no lawyer(thank god) but i do know that at golf courses you assume risk of stuff like this happening. Balls get hit/slung by mowers EVERY day at courses/ranges. You know going in you can be hit by a ball. What happened to Kim was just a brutally bad roll. Good to see him back doing those podcasts on YT with Sigel and Reed Pierce. They are very entertaining. Ep.1:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Davenport was JA's parner at MBC. He got hit in the eye by a golf ball and almost went totally blind. Reason he quit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kim's eye injury 4 or 5 years before MBC even opened? I don't think the eye had anything to do with the business failing, just poor management.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kim's eye injury 4 or 5 years before MBC even opened? I don't think the eye had anything to do with the business failing, just poor management.
Yeah, i went back and looked up the dates. He got injured in '02 so definitely before they got MBC. They still had a ten yr. run which for a lot of rooms is like eternity. They did become absentee owners towards the end and it cost them.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Kim got a healthy settlement, negotiated for him by a good friend of mine who is (was, retired now) a top flight injury case attorney. Kim was a great player and still in his prime then. What a shame that was. He did come back and start playing again, but a far cry from the player I knew in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim got a healthy settlement, negotiated for him by a good friend of mine who is (was, retired now) a top flight injury case attorney. Kim was a great player and still in his prime then. What a shame that was.
thumbs-up xxx3 - small version.JPG

Thanks for that important update to what has been presently known, Jay. Doesn't get his eye back, but we're all certainly pleased to know that you and your gifted friend were in Kim's corner when top-flight legal assistance was justifiably warranted.

Likely the essential details of the settlement included a non-disclosure agreement between all parties.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made my last trip to Archers maybe 6 weeks ago until things turn around. I went at about 5 and the crowd was low. Both 9 footers taken so I went to a bar table. First 2 were out of commission. Banged around on one that finally worked while waiting on the 9 footer to open. I played for an hour and a half and the 'music' started. Not long afterwards, it turned in to a complete **** show club scene, with chest shakingly loud music. People congregating around the table and even had a girl pick my cue up off the table and ask to shoot with it. I paid, walked out to my car and past numerous of people still in their car with the windows cracked. I left.

I'm saddened. It can be so much more. I played on the GC the very first week it was set up and it STILL hangs balls in the return that you've got to look like an idiot looking for. I also still hate the way they play. They are set up correctly, I just hate the way they play.

So it's confusing. You bring a couple high $$ gold crowns and set them up as very hard playing one pocket tables to attract players, but they stay filthy, balls that should go don't, returns that hang balls, and then it turns in to a club at night. A get me the hell out of here club.

I won't be back until things change for the better.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made my last trip to Archers maybe 6 weeks ago until things turn around. I went at about 5 and the crowd was low. Both 9 footers taken so I went to a bar table. First 2 were out of commission. Banged around on one that finally worked while waiting on the 9 footer to open. I played for an hour and a half and the 'music' started. Not long afterwards, it turned in to a complete **** show club scene, with chest shakingly loud music. People congregating around the table and even had a girl pick my cue up off the table and ask to shoot with it. I paid, walked out to my car and past numerous of people still in their car with the windows cracked. I left.

I'm saddened. It can be so much more. I played on the GC the very first week it was set up and it STILL hangs balls in the return that you've got to look like an idiot looking for. I also still hate the way they play. They are set up correctly, I just hate the way they play.

So it's confusing. You bring a couple high $$ gold crowns and set them up as very hard playing one pocket tables to attract players, but they stay filthy, balls that should go don't, returns that hang balls, and then it turns in to a club at night. A get me the hell out of here club.

I won't be back until things change for the better.
You should send this info straight to Archer himself. This 'business' aka a colossal dumpster fire won't last much longer without a serious intervention by someone who gives a shit. It looks like JA may not.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Devils Advocate, if the “night club” scene is bringing in the money, why change it to cater to the serious players? (And I’m assuming it is, but no idea).

That’s what Freezer’s did.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I have not heard a good payer review of "Mills Modern Social" either.
I have no idea how the business is doing after being converted to basically a sports bar (from what I've heard).
Even when I was in AZ, I never went to MMS.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the thing is, I'm really not picky. I'll take a sports bar scene with video games, football, people cheering, swearing and having a good time as long as there is no encroachment on my table. Being nice, this was an Atl club, that moved a ways up I75. It is changeable, but maybe not financially for the better.