Are most cuemakers busy?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
From what I have gathered is that most cuemakers are fairly busy making cues? I was just wondering, considering the state of our National Economy and Employment levels?

So, are cuemakers thriving, sustaining, or depleted?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know about other makers

and i do not make a living building cues, i own a jewelry store. BUT i am always busy in my shop as i get in there everyday and work some. i probably have more cues than i will ever sale. i like working wood and experimenting with new ideas. so i am busy, i can tell you i want bhq to build me one of his butterfly cues and he said he has an 18 month waiting list. so i believe some of the better builders are always busy.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the smaller guys are just barely hanging on.. Then the big guys are still busy. Probably from orders from years ago. Then there is the rest of us that is staying some what busy...

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I think all you have to do is think about how many pool halls have closed in the last 15 years or are barely making it today.

Then have a look at the majority of players that comprise the APA and BCA leagues and their average ages.

Then look at the average age of the customers versus 15 years ago.

Back then the local pool hall would have waiting lists on Fri, Sat, Sun. Now I rarely see the place close to full on any of those days and Sat has league that lasts past 10.

The demographic is getting smaller and smaller...

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
I would bet that there are less than ten cue makers who's sole source of income is building cues.

Most I believe came to the game with their money already made, a spouse that is the main breadwinner, or they are like desi and still work a day job and build cues at night.

I think you can make a little money and maybe pay for your supplies and machinery but to make a decent living (50k plus ) to support a family would be a challenge.

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I'm still busy and this is my full time gig. When repairs slow a little, I get time to build cues so I have no slow season.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the farmer said after winning the lottery: "I'll keep farming till the money runs out " :)

Mario

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

It is great to have cue orders on the fire but it is wise to keep busy and build more cue inventory by working harder than your deadline expectations.

Rick

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I'm a nobody. No cuemaker on here is gonna be impressed with my cues (yet), but the more I work in my shop, the more I fall behind. I had orders from people I didn't even know before I even had a lathe, lol. I work a full time factory job, and then build cues all night. I'm on a break at the moment thogh, my lathe broke down and I'm utilizing the downtime to ride my motorcycle and relax a bit, but its a nonstop grind in my shop. Of course if I was a better cue maker, it wouldn't take me so damn long to make em, lol.

Joe

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Are most

I'm going to bump the number to 20. But with the economy, and the advent of hobby lathes, it's a tough business.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I'm on a break at the moment thogh, my lathe broke down and I'm utilizing the downtime to ride my motorcycle and relax a bit, but its a nonstop grind in my shop.
Joe

You don't need to break your lathe to take time off!

To the op, what do you mean by busy. I could be busy for a week in my shop just cleaning. I am new at this, but the most fun I have is when I am cought up. That's when you get to spend time experimenting or building jigs to do something you you want to try out. I could spend a month just trying to get some of my ideas to work and not accomplish a damn thing. So I would have to say. Any cue maker/wanbe cue maker or make-believe cue maker who isn't busy, lacks imagination or drive!

Larry< lacking in imagination and drive, but still busy!

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Im busy, getting some new fronts started and putting together what should be my veneer cutting tool for doing "mitred" veneers. Ill post pics when I have it put together. hopefully tonight :grin:

Take a break? lol thats like telling a crack addict to stop using LOL
My name is Tony and I have a building addiction :wink:.......I forget the other steps screw it...

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I'm behind

I am about 8 to 12 months in orders.

Just curious........... has anyone had a customer try to buy a spot higher up on the list to get a cue sooner??? Money talks..........

Kim

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about 8 to 12 months in orders.

Just curious........... has anyone had a customer try to buy a spot higher up on the list to get a cue sooner??? Money talks..........

Kim
Yes more than once to, The answer was and has always been NO. You have to keep them in order they come. The only way someone has moved up the list is when a customer that has ordered a cue cant purchase it. Then I will offer it to my customers on my list.