I am uncertain of the status of the room currently. Though I have organized the room since its inception, I decided last January to bow out, and let other people take over if they wish.
While nothing terrible happened, with the new venue there was much more trouble keeping non-members from playing (even several AZB'ers who knew better, continued to play without contributing). In addition, several gamblers decided they were entitled to play for free whenever and for however long they wished - it took a forceful discussion with Steve Lomako to get them to quit; and they continued to make extremely unpleasant threats on my life and health for the remainder of the week. Not that I was afraid of the little piss-ants (I think they didn't really want to fight), but I really began the venture to make friends, not enemies.
In any case, Greg Sullivan usually contacted me in the Fall with details - there was always a little doubt whether we could carry it off or not. The organizers this year should feel free to contact Greg and ask if he wishes to provide room again this year (space was at a premium last year, and the room a bit small). In the past it was a flat fee of $1500 for two tables and 1 room; and Greg could have made MUCH more by renting out the tables and the room - we considered it our contribution to the event; he probably would have done it a lot cheaper.
In addition, we have always communicated to Greg that if we had LOTS of extra money we would plow it into a mini-tournament, or sponsor a prize for some special event - it never happened, but would be a great way to contribute to supporting Greg's fabulous week of pool.
Steve Lomako has a Justis West black case kindly donated by Jack Justis to the room cause (can be auctioned or raffled for the room), and any of the money that remains from last year (we always tried to stay "revenue neutral" and use all of the money each year; but last year had less giveaways and less revenue).
I will remind the organizer's that Steve Booth and Mike Howerton both gave permission each year to use their website names in the promotion of the room - The AZB-onepocket.org MEMBERS Room. I emphasize the MEMBERS, because neither organization "sponsored" the room or assisted in the planning in any way (though Steve B. always contributed to participate, we would have provided it free for use of his website name). We provided a complimentary membership to the room for Mike H. each year, and he chose not to contribute, nor did we expect him to. The room always broke even, though 1 year did require a little juice from the organizers (and I think sjm kicked in a $100 that year). The organizers this year should definitely seek their blessing before pursuing things further - remember that anything bad happening in the room will in some way reflect badly upon the reputation of their websites.
On at least one occasion Greg Sullivan did offer to ban from the venue any players that persisted in "crashing" the room and using the tables without contributing. We decided we really didn't want to do anything like that, but it was almost necessary on several occasions. If the room is very close to the gambling tables this year, it would be prudent to discuss enforcement with Greg ahead of time; because it was MUCH more frequent this year than when the event was held at Executive West.
I am always available if the organizers have any specific questions about past events; and I certainly plan on contributing to play if the room flies this year. My new job schedule makes it impossible for me to be there at the beginning of the event; we definitely need organizers that can be there for the whole time, and organizers that do not mind a modicum of physical and verbal confrontation.