Baby powder is/was toxic!

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep that crap off the table!

I hate playing people that use powder. They get it all over the damn table and it’s a wet mess combined with their sweaty hands. After a match the table looks like it has white mud all over. I equate this with the idiots that order nachos and fries during a match and leave stains on the cloth.

Plus they’re not cleaning after themselves. Bring a brush a dust it off after every match.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep that crap off the table!

I hate playing people that use powder. They get it all over the damn table and it’s a wet mess combined with their sweaty hands. After a match the table looks like it has white mud all over.

Plus they’re not cleaning after themselves. Bring a brush a dust it off after every match.

Powder can be used without getting the table all messed up, if you don't try to take a bath in it.

After using powder on my hand, I always wiped my hand on the towel before I ever got back to the table.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Think about brushing your table with powder floating in the air!

The kid is strictly wearing a glove from now on!!!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just read this! My hands sweat and I have been using powder for years! I breath in a ton of that stuff!

Pretty pissed off!

Check out this post in the U.S. News vibe:
Special Report: J&J knew for decades that asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder
https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibe...97d773_a-119951b9-a46e-326d-b910-4304a98bb7ac

Kd

Well, first of all this has been going on a long time. It is hardly news at all.

Beginning in 1985 physicians began urging parents not to use baby powder on their kids.

Second of all what exactly made you think it was OK to breathe in this white powder anyway? Richard Pryor?

Try cornstarch. But I don't recommend breathing that either.

Breathe air.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Powder can be used without getting the table all messed up, if you don't try to take a bath in it.

After using powder on my hand, I always wiped my hand on the towel before I ever got back to the table.

Can be, Yes. But I don't see people doing that.

A few weeks ago I was at the pool hall when a couple guys came in with cheap fiberglass/graphite/whatever pool cues. They powdered up real good. Then when they set the powder down, on the rail, they didn't close it. The powder shot up in the air and fell like snow all over the table. The table, to put it mildly, was a mess. And so was the entire area around the table. They went on to make very loud comments about their shots trying to make a show off their pool knowledge, of which they had none.

Yeah, it can be done cleanly, but in my experience most don't do that.

When I see powder come out I ask the person "can you go over there and do that? Or the men's room? Or outside?

I am glad you are nice about it. :smile: But I think you are an exception.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kd

OK....I would have thought the correct strategy was a mask....but you roll how you like...:wink::p

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just read this! My hands sweat and I have been using powder for years! I breath in a ton of that stuff!

Pretty pissed off!

Check out this post in the U.S. News vibe:
Special Report: J&J knew for decades that asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder
https://www.yahoo.com/newsroom/vibe...97d773_a-119951b9-a46e-326d-b910-4304a98bb7ac

Kd

HaHaHa !
What is sad is that you would still be using that junk if you didn't read the article -

bill

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Love the Glove and you never have to worry.

Baby powder being bad to breathe is not exactly something they just found out.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
baby powder

While there is/was some that was pure talc most baby powder has lanolin or oil in it. Makes it feel smoother and softer and probably stays on a baby's butt better but it isn't what I want mixed with powder that gets on table cloth. Makes the powder cling and build up on and in the cloth.

I hate seeing baby powder instead of hand chalk in a pool hall! The hand chalk might not be any better for you but it seems to not get everywhere quite as bad and it seems to clean up easier. Mostly I stay bare handed, not near the need for powder in modern pool halls and playing with my own stick.

Hu

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any type of powder is not allowed on or near the tables in the establishments I play at and I don't blame them. That stuff gets into the fiber of the cloth and according to a table mechanic friend of mine is almost impossible to get off the cloth. Not too mention is seeps into the pores of the shaft wood and creates that tacky/sticky feeling on your hand.

Wash and dry your hands prior to the match and keep a small towel nearby to wipe your hands dry of you have sweaty hands or get yourself a Sir Joseph glove.

As far as the asbestos thing with the baby powder that's been common knowledge for some time now.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As far as the asbestos thing with the baby powder that's been common knowledge for some time now.

Some people don't read enough to know that.

I've known it for years.

For some people, they will NEVER know it unless it shows up on their Facebook page somewhere and has a "like" button.

FWIW, one HOF cue maker used to advocate sealing your shaft by rubbing it real good with a mixture of baby powder and oil.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep my hands clean and dry.

The amount of talc I use is 3 strokes of the shaft on the cube for a whole evening of play. This leaves no visible talc on the table

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kd

I work on high voltage power lines and we wear really thick rubber gloves while working for personal protection.

Here is a product called glove dust....

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/SALISBURY-Electrical-Glove-Dust-5ZV62

It doesn't cake up, it's dry, and it's not overly messy. The funny thing is that I never use it in my rubber gloves at work, but I always have a little bit while playing pool.

https://www.durawear.com/salisbury-glove-dust-6-oz-bottles-10-4/