BCA and Coca Cola

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If anybody wants to know why pool can't land & keep a major corporate sponsor, they should read this thread.

Until the sport learns how to support companies that support them, pool will continue to be a small money sport.

I agree. While the players are known to shhot themselves in the foot, so are a lot of the fans. And then ***** that there are no mainstream sponors in pool. Johnnyt

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
If anybody wants to know why pool can't land & keep a major corporate sponsor, they should read this thread.

Until the sport learns how to support companies that support them, pool will continue to be a small money sport.

Exactly!! Something positive comes along and what do you hear. "Great news,good for them,thats great," no you get it wont last ,dont make a difference,who cares.Geeze can we be anymore negative anything that puts a major brand name in association with billiards is good new.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
"Broomfield, Colo. - September 22, 2010 -- . This could be a big thing if handled right. Johnnyt

Not could be a big thing it is already the biggest thing to happen for pool in my lifetime. Thanks to everyone that is involved!!!

I mean really THANK YOU!!! For your hard work you are now my favorite people in the world!!!

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I like the BCA and I like Coke.....anything like this can only be good for pool...

Thanks for posting this up Johnny....

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Thank You

I agree. While the players are known to shhot themselves in the foot, so are a lot of the fans. And then ***** that there are no mainstream sponors in pool. Johnnyt

A company like Coke isn't going to just jump in with millions of dollars.

They are going to start small and see what happens.

Their willingness to commit more money will be based on their results from testing the waters. This could be huge if the fans and players show their support.

I don't drink much Coke, but I think I'll have one right now.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I didn't see anything in the press release that indicated the marketing arrangement was linked to pro tournaments. I think it is mostly intended as a benefit for the rooms, which can definitely use the help.

Exactly. From what I've seen the BCA has nothing to do with the sport whatsoever! It's all about the business, the table manufacturers, the game room furniture, the poker chip manufacturers and anyone they can sell booth space to at their trade show. It's been a long time since they had any involvement in the sport itself! Personally I think they should no longer be called "Billiard Congress of America". It should be something like "Recreation Inc.". Even the BCA pool league is no longer associated with the BCA!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tap, tap, tap! I don't know why people can't be happy that a MAJOR international company has formed ANY kind of relationship with pool. The naysayers just have to b*tch and moan about "why can't it be more", or "that little bit of discount doesn't do anything". Holy cow! Didn't your momma teach ya to keep your mouth shut, if you don't have anything positive to say? Sheesh!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The BCA gets more room owners as members.
The room owners save money on a product they sell.
Coke gets into some locations that may be presently Pepsi locations.

Looks like everybody wins.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, the VERY old "what's in for ME" line, and even more, "what's in it for me NOW...not 5 years from now...what're ya gonna do for me TODAY?" This is the same crap that has held back pro pool for decades, and kept the players from having a real organization that actually could make some headway. You have to start somewhere, and this working relationship between the BCA and Coca-Cola is a start. This idea was based on what Strike Ten and Pepsi were able to contribute to bowling...and it was a LOT. How about we wait a few months (or even a year) before the badmouthing starts?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

$1000.00 is not going to help me keep my doors open, its called " The BCA " is looking for press time, hay look at us we gave the little guy a penny, we are swell. Stay paying your room owner fee's..... 10's of thousands of dollars are being lost in pool rooms, bars, etc. get a company to save me $10,000 + and & i will think this is nice........

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
A company like Coke isn't going to just jump in with millions of dollars.

They are going to start small and see what happens.

Their willingness to commit more money will be based on their results from testing the waters. This could be huge if the fans and players show their support.

Spot on! This is the absolute truth of the matter.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
Its a step in the right direction but this deal in no way really helps pool rooms.........the cost i pay for my syrup and bottled products from Coke Cola is minimul. If they gave it to me free every month it still would not really help the bottom line. People coming thru the door and playing and booze is the money.........people dont have the disposible income they used to, the older generation are watching there money the younger are buying quads, jet ski's, new trucks, its like this.........hey Bob, you want to go shoot pool or you want to go rip up the gravel pit with the quad. We need more mid level jobs in america. The service industry, IE: McDonalds can not support Wendys to support Wal Mart...........Tell Big companys to stop shipping jobs to Canada and Mexico......:thumbup:

And we should start buying domestic cars NOT IMPORTS......................

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Sherm...I respect your right to your opinion, but the BCA is still the North American representative in the WPA...so in that right, they DO something that has to do with pool.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I may have been wrong about that then, but can you explain exactly what they do in that capacity? I'm seriously interested.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
$1000.00 is not going to help me keep my doors open, its called " The BCA " is looking for press time, hay look at us we gave the little guy a penny, we are swell. Stay paying your room owner fee's..... 10's of thousands of dollars are being lost in pool rooms, bars, etc. get a company to save me $10,000 + and & i will think this is nice........

Mark One Pool Room off my Bucket List! There, Mix a little Coke with bad attitude and you actually lose money.

It makes me absolutely sick how so many people choose to Hate First and ask questions later.

A HUGE Corporate Sponsor is willing to put their toes in the water. It can go two ways from here; We can show overwelming support and let the sponsor know how much they are appreciated which could result in even more sponsorship, OR, We can ***** and complain that it's not enough (Because that's the easiest thing to do) and burn another bridge.

I think we need to create a "Good For the Sport" list, much like the "Good Action List".

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sherm...Jerry Forsyth would be in a much better position to answer that than me. Supposedly the WPA is responsible for promoting world championship events, and making sure the best players get invited to play, along with making sure the money is there. With all the recent bs concerning one of the Filipino promoters, who had WPA sanctioning, but didn't pay (at least not in a timely manner), I have to wonder exactly what the mission of the WPA is. It does seem to be a "good ole boys" club.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I may have been wrong about that then, but can you explain exactly what they do in that capacity? I'm seriously interested.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
The WPA is the org that keeps records straight. Can you imagine ten different tours all pretending to be the pro sport.

Anyone could go around saying they are the greatest nine ball player in the world. They could say they have won over 500 pro tourney's. Well because of the WPA they can now easily find out "the truth" or at least how the majority sees it. This "truth" brings a kind of credibility to our sport that would otherwise not exist.

I think this is their biggest role in our sport.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the article, it just sounds, like the Coca Cola company is just giving discounts to pool room owners on pop and some Coca Cola promo ads for room owners to place in their place of business.

If the men had an actual tour, with tour stops and some internal industry sponsorships, then, I could see Coke or Pepsi maybe putting up some money into that tour. However, they see that there is no tour and no actual professional business persons or company willing to handle all of the money, scheduling of events (places and dates), promotions, finances, staff and a players list. The Camel Tour was successful for a little while, then the wheels fell off. Pool just is not an attractive sport or game to which they see no real return on their investment.

Bars, pool rooms and taverns are getting sponsorship because they actually spend money day after day, year after year on their products to serve their patrons with.

Ask Mike Janis of the Viking Tour how hard it is to run a tour and to keep having sponsorship year in and year out. He has been doing it for 20 years. Congradulatons by the way! Don't you think that he hasn't tried for larger sponsorship like Pepsi or Coke and take his tour nationwide?

Does Coca Cola, a multi-billion dollar company with endless resourses and a great research and deveopment department really trust the BCA? It really doesn't. It's 2010 and "mens professional" pool in the USA is just limited to several big events per year. the 80's and the 90's is when pool in the USA was a force for men's pro pool. Now it is a world wide event and the rest of the world is the dominating it and the American men are not dominating it like they used too. Plus big companies see the failed resume's of Mens Professional pool tours here in the US....Good luck!

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
After reading the article, it just sounds, like the Coca Cola company is just giving discounts to pool room owners on pop and some Coca Cola promo ads for room owners to place in their place of business.

If the men had an actual tour, with tour stops and some internal industry sponsorships, then, I could see Coke or Pepsi maybe putting up some money into that tour. However, they see that there is no tour and no actual professional business persons or company willing to handle all of the money, scheduling of events (places and dates), promotions, finances, staff and a players list. The Camel Tour was successful for a little while, then the wheels fell off. Pool just is not an attractive sport or game to which they see no real return on their investment.

Bars, pool rooms and taverns are getting sponsorship because they actually spend money day after day, year after year on their products to serve their patrons with.

Ask Mike Janis of the Viking Tour how hard it is to run a tour and to keep having sponsorship year in and year out. He has been doing it for 20 years. Congradulatons by the way! Don't you think that he hasn't tried for larger sponsorship like Pepsi or Coke and take his tour nationwide?

Does Coca Cola, a multi-billion dollar company with endless resourses and a great research and deveopment department really trust the BCA? It really doesn't. It's 2010 and "mens professional" pool in the USA is just limited to several big events per year. the 80's and the 90's is when pool in the USA was a force for men's pro pool. Now it is a world wide event and the rest of the world is the dominating it and the American men are not dominating it like they used too. Plus big companies see the failed resume's of Mens Professional pool tours here in the US....Good luck!

The women have a tour (WPBA), Coke might be intrested in sponsoring them. Having a company involved in pool in any way is a big thing IMO. Johnnyt

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How do you know your Coke cost is minimal, and how does your cost compare to national account pricing? It's hard to say that it really doesn't help your bottom line unless you give them a call and actually hear what they have to say. I’ve heard from a couple room owners that you might save up to $10 for a 5 gallon bag of syrup. If you purchase 100 bags a year, that’s $1,000. Not a bad savings for a membership with the BCA.

Maybe these programs are worth looking into. It works and thrives for the bowling industry.

The BCA also stated that they GUARANTEE room operators will save money, and will give them their money back if they don't. So what do room ops really have to lose?

I would be interested to hear from some room operators that actually called the BCA to check it out.

Give $380 and get what? Just 8-9 yrs ago room membership was $150 and membership numbers were dropping drastically since the move to CO from IA, why, no bang for your buck.
Guarantee to get your money back, boy this could be a fiasco, I've called the BCA quite a few times in the last two years and never talked to a live person, only left messages that were never returned.
I just called the ph number on the guy handling this program, seems to be tied with Bowling? not sure, is he the guy to refund your money if matters go south???
BCA room members have not realized benefits thru membership in the past and I would be surprised if many prior/no longer BCA room members would reup their membership because of this program, time will tell.
Also, what are the annual dues for Non-Profit Recreation centers and are they too able to be part of this program? Their annual dues used to be $60 8-9 yrs ago, does this also apply to their Plus membership level?
Time will tell.
I always wondered why the BCA didn't somehow get on the Color of Money bandwagon when Paul Neuman died? I attended a board meeting in Boulder CO a couple yrs ago, they talked about it. Here was a movie that alone had more impact on increasing play than ANY other entitiy, yet the BCA never rode that horse why????
The industry of player and the industry of the BCA have different mindsets, too bad they don't sleep together.
The BCA has the potential to change the industry of play yet don't. They actually act like a pool player, allot of wasted talent and an unwillingness to get involved in matters outside of home market.

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you know your Coke cost is minimal, and how does your cost compare to national account pricing? It's hard to say that it really doesn't help your bottom line unless you give them a call and actually hear what they have to say. I’ve heard from a couple room owners that you might save up to $10 for a 5 gallon bag of syrup. If you purchase 100 bags a year, that’s $1,000. Not a bad savings for a membership with the BCA.

Maybe these programs are worth looking into. It works and thrives for the bowling industry.

The BCA also stated that they GUARANTEE room operators will save money, and will give them their money back if they don't. So what do room ops really have to lose?

I would be interested to hear from some room operators that actually called the BCA to check it out.

Pepsi Products like Mt Dew I bet Coke wants to be exclusive. Lot of money in that soda water.

Maybe Coke will pick up a pro player and sponsor them they could wear a Coke shirt and Coke could be seen now that would add a little weight to this announcement.

BTW -- Two great Indy players (George Breedlove and Brian Groce) came out of Mr and Miss Cue a pool room on the south side, prior it being a pool room that facility bottled Coke syrup a coincidence maybe maybe not.....

No matter it is great see that pool is on a large corporate companys radar such as Coke I think it is very positive and I hope that it turns into mre.

Last edited: